Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 12:01 PM

495 posts, read 2,328,793 times

Advertisements

I am going to put up a 650 fr run of horse fence. It will be "no climb" wire. the posts 8 ft on center, with a PT 1x6x16 board on top.

The run has one right angle turn and instead of having a 90 degree corner I would like to have the fence gradually curve around the turn.

I have never curved this type of fence before.

How do you lay out the curve?

How do you stretch the wire on the posts on the curve without pulling them off plumb?

Any experienced ideas or good DIY links on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 05:24 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Try asking a local fence contractor...any Long Fence co in your area???

Old 02-26-2008, 05:34 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Well........ I've never done a radius with non climb wire... that stuff is hard to pull straight. Just shooting from the hip... I'd go ahead and do my right angle and then radius the inside so I would have enough support when you pull the wire. I wouldn't pull the radius very tight... and I'd rely on the top rail and larger posts (4") for additional strength on the radius. Another consideration would be using electric ribbon fence in the corners. I guess since I don't know why your doing a radius... it maybe hard to give any advise.

To get your curve, set a post or a stake in the ground use a string to get your arch from your fixed position... then use a can of marker spray paint to mark your holes.

How long will the radius be? are you talking a short radius (20') or long (40'). The longer the radius the less support you will need. I'd also use a 2x6x16 for my top rail for the radius. If the bend is really tight use 2- 1x6x16 and put one up at a time and then screw them together or use carriage bolts.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:55 AM

495 posts, read 2,328,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Well........ I've never done a radius with non climb wire... that stuff is hard to pull straight. Just shooting from the hip... I'd go ahead and do my right angle and then radius the inside so I would have enough support when you pull the wire. I wouldn't pull the radius very tight... and I'd rely on the top rail and larger posts (4") for additional strength on the radius. Another consideration would be using electric ribbon fence in the corners. I guess since I don't know why your doing a radius... it maybe hard to give any advise.

To get your curve, set a post or a stake in the ground use a string to get your arch from your fixed position... then use a can of marker spray paint to mark your holes.

How long will the radius be? are you talking a short radius (20') or long (40'). The longer the radius the less support you will need. I'd also use a 2x6x16 for my top rail for the radius. If the bend is really tight use 2- 1x6x16 and put one up at a time and then screw them together or use carriage bolts.
Thanks! Good advice.

I may not go with the curve though due to the non climb wire, but may cut the corner and change the right angle turn to a hypoteneuse corner. That will give me more room for the homesite and still avoid that corner of the pasture jutting into part of the front yard.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:48 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
It's been a while, but I have installed a few horse fences. Wire fencing is never a good choice for radiuses. Here in Florida we used no-climb wire on steel or concrete posts, but always capped the wire fence with wood or steel railings. No horse fence should have anything but smooth top rails. A cheap alternative was to make concrete posts and leave notches for concrete rails. One horse fence (still standing) was made like this and the other sections were reused chain-link fence with a PVC pipe split and set over the chain link, tie wrapped on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living