Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When You Hit It...
Your Highbeams/Brights were On 17 19.32%
Your Headlights were on 44 50.00%
It was Daylight 24 27.27%
It was Dark and Your headlights were OFF 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 06:33 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 06:48 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
I hit a deer years ago in the suburbs while driving along a quiet road - little traffic, deep ditches on both sides of the road, fall, right at dusk, so headlights were on, but it was not yet super dark. It bounded up out of the ditch in basically ran into the right front quarter panel. Luckily, my vehicle sustained only minor damage. The deer....not so much. It ended up feeding a few people at the food bank.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Yes, once on 80 west at night and another time on 79 North in midday. Both in western PA. That region is the most prone to deer accidents anywhere in America.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 02-12-2015 at 07:32 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 07:29 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Cant remember if my brights were on or not. Possibly so, as it was a very rural road with little to no traffic.

I hit her with the pickup and she didn't die. That was the worst part. I had shattered her pelvis from the looks of it and she was dragging her entire back half behind her, trying to crawl away.
Fortunately, I had a rifle with me so I put her down, but it really bothered me. The first and only deer I've hit, knock on wood.
I was 37.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,577 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Twice, both in daylight. Neither time had any damage to my vehicle, the first time when I was 16 driving a 1958 Chrysler, which came out a lot better than the deer. The 2nd just 3 years ago in my Ranger. He stopped just as I did and was perfectly parallel to the front of my truck and we barely touched. He ran off and looked fine.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:15 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Yes, both times I slowed down enough to just bump them and they got up and ran off. I've also had a deer hit me, ran right into the side of my Blazer when I was doing about 30 mph.

If you see a deer cross the road you'd better slow down, chances are high there is another one behind it still in the brush ready to jump out in front of you.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Multiple times. Once, early in the morning, so technically daytime. Three times at night. My headlights are ALWAYS on, whether it's nighttime or daylight. And my high beams were on during two of the deer incidents. On one of the incidents, the deer came out and began racing my car, I hit my brakes when the deer literally jumped onto the hood, and then slid off over the front of the car and I ended up running over it. I had some windshield damage from that accident.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:36 AM

299 posts, read 263,818 times
Ugh!! It's more like "Have deer ever hit YOU?!"
When we lived in Missouri, we had 2 kamikaze deer plotted to destroy our van. One dark night on the way home from a job, a doe leapt in front of the van and dared me...too late! She was some coyote's lunch. A week or so later, within hours of the time the body repair was supposed to fix it, a buck with an attitude leapt out -- to the other side. He did the van in. Insurance said after that it was totaled!
Oh well, the van wasn't the greatest anyway. We were able to replace it...so far, no deer!

Old 02-13-2015, 10:25 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
My son and I were traveling in the country in southern MN. A deer jumped out of a deep ditch and hit me as I passed by. For a second we locked eyes and I'll never forget the look on her face. I probably looked the same.

Her hoof came through the driver's side window and grazed my face. The windshield was broken and the total left side of the car was damaged. There we sat, me bloodied and our laps full of glass.

Instinctively I got out to see what condition the deer was in and she managed to get up and stagger into a cornfield. Later a deputy told me I was fortunate and reminded me to never get close to a wounded animal because of their tendency to spring up like that.

I don't know how it could have been avoided. One moment the road was clear and the next there we were face to face. We were lucky not to have been more severely hurt, I learned a few things about traveling in deer country in the fall and I have a lot more respect for what damage those smallish animals can do.

Can say it's ruined evening motorcycling in the countryside for me!

Old 02-13-2015, 10:42 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Quote:
Instinctively I got out to see what condition the deer was in and she managed to get up and stagger into a cornfield. Later a deputy told me I was fortunate and reminded me to never get close to a wounded animal because of their tendency to spring up like that.
Either the deputy wasn't a hunter, or he thought you were a citidiot.
Leaving a wounded animal to die is inhuman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living