Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:43 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,953,640 times

Advertisements

I have decided I'm going to have to wait a little longer to fulfill my dream of living near the beach, since most towns in my dream don't have the economies to support me. I can take a small cut in pay, but housing and insurance are higher than some large cities. Not that I make Big Bucks, I'm confortable. I knew I'd rather be in a smaller city, I've lived in Chicago, Atlanta and am currently in Charlotte.
The small town is now calling me, and I am going to a town of about 25,000 this weekend to look at houses. It's 30 minutes away from a city of 125,000, so there's job opportunites and the job market isn't bad there.

On to my questions for those who've moved "down" in city size;

What was the biggest shock to your system when you first moved? I know no paper delivery, no fast food (better for my waistline and health) no 'corner stores" or running to the Grocery store when you forget something.

What do you miss about 'city living" and what do you like about small town living?

What store/restaurant/place/thing do you wish was in your area? Is there something you're glad that it isn't in your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 11:42 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
We live way "in the sticks" and the paper is delivered. Our corner store is about five miles. I am glad nothing much is in the area. That is why I keep buying land. LOL

Old 07-11-2008, 11:45 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,062,717 times
We moved to a small town (2500) from a smaller town (600). We walk 1 block or less for: Restaurant, Post Office, Police Dept, Sheriff's Office and Courthouse. City Office. Auto Parts Store, Supermarket, Bank, Title Co, Liquor Store, Computer Repair and Gadget Shop, Dollar Store, Hardware Store. We live above my wife's gift shop so we really don't even need a car anymore.
The ONLY thing I miss about living in a big city is the many choices for good eateries. I came from San Diego where there are several thousand restaurants.

Last edited by Rickers; 07-11-2008 at 11:57 AM..

Old 07-11-2008, 12:10 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I have decided I'm going to have to wait a little longer to fulfill my dream of living near the beach, since most towns in my dream don't have the economies to support me. I can take a small cut in pay, but housing and insurance are higher than some large cities. Not that I make Big Bucks, I'm confortable. I knew I'd rather be in a smaller city, I've lived in Chicago, Atlanta and am currently in Charlotte.
The small town is now calling me, and I am going to a town of about 25,000 this weekend to look at houses. It's 30 minutes away from a city of 125,000, so there's job opportunites and the job market isn't bad there.

On to my questions for those who've moved "down" in city size;

What was the biggest shock to your system when you first moved? I know no paper delivery, no fast food (better for my waistline and health) no 'corner stores" or running to the Grocery store when you forget something.

What do you miss about 'city living" and what do you like about small town living?

What store/restaurant/place/thing do you wish was in your area? Is there something you're glad that it isn't in your area?

No disrespect but a town of 25K will have all those things that you mentioned. That is unless you managed to find one that doesn't.
I grew up in towns of 7,500 or less and we had everything you stated plus charming downtowns with quaint little family owned stores and restaurants.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:40 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,655,607 times
Going to a town of about 25,000 and that's supposed to be small, I live in a county with a total population of just over 14,000, in the town that I live in, it has a population of just under 2,000 and I have everything I need right here and I moved out of the Metropolitan Washington, DC area, now you want to talk about a crowded city, their rush-hour traffic was all day long and all night, here where I'm at we have a rush minute once a week and that consists of three guys on their ATVs going up the road at the same time. We're so far back up in here I get Monday's newspaper on Tuesday.....and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:44 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
No disrespect but a town of 25K will have all those things that you mentioned. That is unless you managed to find one that doesn't.
I grew up in towns of 7,500 or less and we had everything you stated plus charming downtowns with quaint little family owned stores and restaurants.
I agree--in fact most towns 2,500 and above will have all those, give or take the fastfood, although every town seems to have at least two of those, as well. Oh, and the paper may only be a weekly, but not in a city of 25,000--they have dailys. I suppose the only exceptions would be smaller then 2,500 (hit and miss, then) or very progressive tourist-based small towns, they will tend to not have fastfood, chain stores, and for some reason, grocery stores that close at 7 or 8 p.m. But it really doesn't seem like the OP is going in that direction for a town!

Old 07-12-2008, 01:40 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Having moved from a city of over 500,000 to a city of 716 (with a city of 40,000 about 30 miles away), what I miss most is a top-quality grocery store, especially one with a great fish counter.

It's about 115 miles up to a city with a Whole Foods and a Trader Joes, though, and I make that drive every month of two (with a large cooler).

Eating out on a regular basis I don't really care about, and since I travel every month or two, I eat out then. It actually makes it a much bigger deal and a much greater treat.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:47 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,603 times
I agree with all of the above. There are some smaller towns with pretty good grocery stores. I think your chances jump pretty high when you go to a small, college town. I last lived in one small town (about 4,000), that had a horrible produce department! (We are vegetarians, so this counts extra for us) They actually would wrap small pieces of vegetables on a styrofoam plate.

As for the second have of the post, I also like living in an area where "shopping" is a drive away. I think I actually save money that way. I keep a running list of things we need, then we spend the entire day there, eating out and such. It makes it an outing. Unfortunately, living in places like that are getting harder to find to these days. Everyone wants a Walmart in town.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
When small town living gets rough is when you get older and need medical facilities closeby. Thatis the reason you see so many small tow older peole move now days with such life saving/extenging medical outcomes.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:05 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,953,640 times
Default correction

Let me correct my first post, its a town of 2,500...and actually the house I looked at is 15 miles outside in a farming community. Chickens and corn and peaches. In fact, the house and land, just under 2 acres total is surrounded by Peach trees, heavy with fruit. smelled incredible!!! I spent 3+ hours driving around and exploring and am going back next weekend, to do more looking, really like the area, there's a drive in movie theatre 1 mile down the road....can't remember the last time I saw one of those, current movies too. as far as I can tell, the down side will be shopping/errands, it will be time consuming. But I think I'm ready... found all my usual spots, or equlivents which was a concern for me.

I heard the closest Wallyworld is about 10 miles in the other direction in a town of about 15,000 so guess I'm not as far out in the boonies as I feared...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living