Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:45 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
You think I started this thread because I look down on small towners, while in fact I started this thread because I got the impression that small towners look down on city-goers like me.
Don't flatter yourself City_boi. Small towners don't waste their time "looking down" at city-goers. Have too much to do like shave the sheep, dust the crops, scale the fish, repair the pick up, and make floats for the annual Blueberry Bog Festival.

What is the goal of this thread anyway? Seems to have developed from a simple question to major criticism of how people choose to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:53 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Don't flatter yourself City_boi. Small towners don't waste their time "looking down" at city-goers. Have too much to do like shave the sheep, dust the crops, scale the fish, repair the pick up, and make floats for the annual Blueberry Bog Festival.

What is the goal of this thread anyway? Seems to have developed from a simple question to major criticism of how people choose to live.
Don't forget all of the square dancin' we do with Ellie May too,that's time consuming...shopping for the right tablecloth to make our shirts out of and just the right pomade to slick our hair back with.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:56 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Don't forget all of the square dancin' we do with Ellie May too,that's time consuming...shopping for the right tablecloth to make our shirts out of and just the right pomade to slick our hair back with.
Hey that's great!!! Maybe City_boi would like to join us sometime?

Old 08-04-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Hey that's great!!! Maybe City_boi would like to join us sometime?
He'd have to dance with the ugliest sheep...he's a guest after all.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:12 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:

mmm hmmm. I suppose it's almost along the same lines as the thread a while back dealing with urban transplants to rural areas. Tempers flared, and the rhetoric became quite heated. That tends to happen when people feel they are being attacked. First impulse is to fight back. Lol, I , personally, don't have time to look down on anyone, let alone city folks either. To many biguns in the bass pond need ketchin' and them damn yotes won't leave mama's cats alone.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:21 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTrail View Post
I disagree with some of your replies (even in Indianapolis, people are hurried and short with you), but you are right in saying that things like parking spots and the valet experience aren't as tedious in Indy as they can be elsewhere.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. This is not something I have ever noticed, not even in Chicago (it is possible I am immune to it, the smallest place I have ever lived is 22K, and that was temporarily while I was schooling and working in Evansville). When we got a foot of snow in Indy last winter, people in my neighborhood spent hours of their time helping others dig out their cars (I have seen the same thing in Chicago btw). The next morning, their were people roaming the neighborhood with shovels continuing to help people get their cars out of the snow.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
mmm hmmm. I suppose it's almost along the same lines as the thread a while back dealing with urban transplants to rural areas. Tempers flared, and the rhetoric became quite heated. That tends to happen when people feel they are being attacked. First impulse is to fight back. Lol, I , personally, don't have time to look down on anyone, let alone city folks either. To many biguns in the bass pond need ketchin' and them damn yotes won't leave mama's cats alone.
.22 Hornet....they'll die elsewhere

Old 08-04-2009, 01:47 PM

711 posts, read 2,108,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Well, I can see where this thread is going to go from the last couple posts, but here is my answer anyway.

Yes I have something against the big city. No I do NOT have anything against the people who live in big cities. Yes I just prefer small towns.

What do I have against big cities? violent crime for one thing. Don't lecture me about how small towns have the same crime problems big cities do either, I know better. Big cities have more violent crime, small towns have more petty crime generally. In the 152 years my small town has been named and considered a town, there has NEVER been a murder. When was the last murder in your big city? or should I ask how many today? Assaults? There are 1 or 2 a year and usually involve a couple drunks. Robberies? 1 in the last 10 years. Rapes? there was 1 back in 2005 and I think 1 in 2004. I have lived big city life and while it was fun for a short time it isn't for me.
Traffic is another reason I can't stand the big city. 9 Hours a day? come on, who even insinuated that? What was said is that traffic is much worse in big cities than in small towns. That statement is 100% true. It doesn't mean us dumb hicks think you spend the majority of the day stuck on the freeway sucking fumes, it just means you spend MORE time than we do dealing with traffic. At the ONE stop light in town today was as much traffic as I have had to deal with all summer - a truck pulling a camper, a pick-up, and 2 cars were ahead of me; for us in small towns that is a busy day and added a whopping 10 or 15 seconds to our commute. How much time do you have to allow to travel 10 miles at 5 PM in your city taking the major routes? I have to allow about 12 minutes to go 10 miles at that time.

People? I have met some really great people while living in big cities. Personable, friendly, outgoing and generally fun to be around. Same can be said for help at restaurants, gas stations, and any other place you can go. I also had great neighbors in the cities I have lived in, so I know what you mean by them being friendly. The major difference I have seen between big city neighbors and small town neighbors are the size of the yards you mow for them when they are on vacation. Cities you tend to have small yards because space is valuable and expensive, while in my small town a 1/2 acre lot in town isn't that unusual. One neighbor/friend has a 6 acre lot in town, another has a 3 1/2 acre lot in town.

Prefer a small town? Yes I do. I don't like hustle and bustle, I don't like traffic noise, I don't like traffic at all to tell the truth. I can leave to go to the beach and forget to shut the front door for a few hours and laugh when I pull back into the driveway instead of having a panic attack. (Son left the front door open last week... again) House keys? Really, you have those and actually USE them? No that is not being foolish or stupid either, that is small town mindset. Everybody knows everybody, all the neighbors watch out for each other and each others houses. If you want to live in the big city and find it more your speed and a better fit, great! If somebody wants to change and give the small town a try, great! Just don't keep trying to compare a town of 1200, to a city of 1.2 million; just as the majority of those who move to the big city from the small towns don't try to vilify the city because it isn't small. If I don't think the city life is all that great, don't ask the question then attack somebodies answer when it doesn't agree with your own mindset. All that does is make this a thread you started on this particular forum in order to start a flame war.
It absolutely shocks me that people find it surprising that there are murders every day in a metro area of 3 million people.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:54 PM

261 posts, read 1,272,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
No harm in that

Old 08-04-2009, 02:22 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Have lived near Tucson - traffic and crime were just too much but really miss all the activities and choices in everything. We are now in a small town and everything is expensive and limited and activities are include watching the grass grow and mowing the grass because of all the rain so there is no Utopia, darn it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living