Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:00 PM

31 posts, read 93,928 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm looking for a small town, possibly farming community, that hasn't been spoiled by Big Corporations.
My husband and I have decided that where we are is not where we want to be.
We've checked out a few towns (Blue Ridge, GA and surrounding areas) and while we love the view- we don't love what it's becoming.
Ideally anything that is a bit of a distance from large metropolitan areas where we can buy 10+ acres without breaking the bank.

Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 02:25 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
----- farming community--

better move fast.

In my farming community the county has enforced strict zoning laws so land can't be sold unless it is at least 40 acres.

They don't want people buying up small parcels of farmland and building a house on it.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:42 PM

40 acres would be great- as long as it's affordable. The more space between me and the next guy the better

Old 04-07-2010, 03:15 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
A neighbor of mine just sold 60 acres of farmland to another neighbor for $4,000 per acre.

Evidently it was affordable to the guy who bought it, just not affordable for me.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:59 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
We moved from a large metro area to a town of 5,500.

But not all small towns are created equal.

Ours is a seaport and has two research facilities. These factors help bring in people from all over the world. our town has a fresh, steady infusion of minds which makes it a stimulating place to live.

Also, there are also lots of creative folks here--writers, artists,musicians, and such, so I find our village kind of a microcosm of a city. I couldn't be happier, but I suspect a small, insular town would not be nearly as enjoyable (for me).

Old 04-07-2010, 06:02 PM

442 posts, read 965,718 times
I don't know what[exactly]you are looking for but I live in Utah-and no not everyone is LDS-in a small city and farming is here can get some good deals in Enoch.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:07 PM

25,753 posts, read 18,818,821 times
You might try smaller towns/rural areas in North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah (stay away from the Wasatch Front area, though--so central or eastern such as Salina, Manti, Roosevelt, Duchesne, etc), or parts of Nevada (like Elko, for instance).

Old 04-10-2010, 05:23 PM

210 posts, read 402,426 times
Wife and I just moved from Birmingham al pop 285,000 to a small town just north of scranton pa pop 1700. We just love it! NO crime reasonable priced houses, clean air, water, freindly neighbors. We drove in about 1 a m on a sunday morning after 20 hrs on the road and i started whistling the tune from the andy griffith show lol.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:33 AM

My husband and I have done just that. We take off every couple of weeks and just drive on back roads. The internet is no help to find these places, but that's a good thing. I will look into some of the places mentioned since things around here just aren't getting any better. Ground was just broken on a Chick-fil-a and Starbucks down the road. Ideally we'd like to be at least 90 minutes out of any major Metropolitan areas just for the safety. And while I realize we probably can't get a mountain view, 90 minutes from a major city, where we can buy 40+ acres and still have that small town feel- I can always hope right?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:33 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSW View Post
My husband and I have done just that. We take off every couple of weeks and just drive on back roads. The internet is no help to find these places, but that's a good thing. I will look into some of the places mentioned since things around here just aren't getting any better. Ground was just broken on a Chick-fil-a and Starbucks down the road. Ideally we'd like to be at least 90 minutes out of any major Metropolitan areas just for the safety. And while I realize we probably can't get a mountain view, 90 minutes from a major city, where we can buy 40+ acres and still have that small town feel- I can always hope right?
Check out Wyoming. You can be in a place from 80 to 500 miles (that's not a typo) from a major metropolitan area. I live 20 miles from a city of 8000 (Cody), 125 miles from a city of 100,000 (Billings, MT), and almost 500 miles from Salt Lake, the nearest big city. The nearest interstate is 100 miles from my door. You can get a mountain view; I don't think you could find a place without one here. Land prices are highly variable, depending upon landforms and specific area. Population density of the county is 4 per square mile, but this does include Yellowstone. The county is 94.5% White; the area between Cody and Yellowstone is virtually 100%. People are generally conservative or libertarian. This is not Obama country.

You can't do any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living