Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 PM

220 posts, read 418,205 times

Advertisements

We will be taking a trip out there in late March for one week to look at some of the suburbs. We are a little worried about the air issues and are wondering if there are any cities or areas to look at that would be better then others. We do not have to worry about commuting to work as long as the area we chose has a large enough population of young kids/families that would support a business we are planning on opening in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 08:28 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
I think most of the families with kids do move out to the burbs, but you start losing the population density that is required for new businesses to thrive. It really depends on the type of business you are planning to open.

There is such a long list of suburbs it's hard to answer your question. Can you add any more specifics? I'm more familiar with the ones east of the city, others here have a great perspective of pretty much all the areas around. There are also people on the forum that hate suburbs so take that with a grain of salt if you get those repsonses.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:43 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,663 times
Which suburbs? For example, just Sac County? It's flat land, so air pollution is, I believe, pretty much the same everywhere, unless you get further from highways, industry, etc. and for that to make a difference I think you'd need to get several miles from the city core, and/or up into the foothills.

Supporting a business is the big question.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:39 PM

6 posts, read 41,226 times
Air pollution throughout the Sacramento Area is really going to be about the same no matter where you go because everything in the metro area is at the same elevation in the valley. If you can get up in elevation a bit (east of the main suburbs) then you'll get away from the smog. However, the population really thins out as you go up the mountains.

Check out cities like Auburn or Placerville, they would be away from the smog (but I don't know how good their schools are), but still large enough to open a buisness in my opinion.

Good Luck!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:55 PM

220 posts, read 418,205 times
Nina and others....thanks.

It would be a private preschool - second grade concept.......and the business would also do birthday parties on the weekends and summer camps. The age range is 2-10 years old. It is a very unique concept that uses lots of interactive technology and other things. It would be appealing to parents who could afford a private school.

I have to figure that the pollution can not be that bad in Sacramento or millions of people would not be able to live in the area. I was just figuring that there might be a suburb somewhere that would maybe get a little less of it?

The other things that would be nice are pretty much the same things you often hear....wonderful community, friendly people, safe, great schools.....and the only things I personally would love are a friendly bike community and within a few hours drive of national park type hiking opportunities.

One more thing.....we have been researching a westerly move for years (Colorado, Utah, Bend and Medford/Ashland Oregon, Seattle, San Diego/SLO, SF-Suburb, etc) and Sacramento seems to have the most of what we are looking for. We are coming from Florida which is flat and the heat/humidity for about 5 months is just too much. I kind of smile when people say Sacramento might be too hot during the summer. I think compared to what we are used to it will be very doable. But we do not want to go to a place such as Bend Oregon (a favorite of mine) because it would be too cold at nights for an extended winter season. When people say Sacramento is 1-2 hours away from interesting places to visit = we think this is a good thing and puts it in a nice central location. We want a community that is self sufficient and friendly so we can do the typical day to day things for most of the year and then be closer to some really nice weekend, summer and special occasion travels (ie drive to Yosemitte, SF, Oregon, Mountains, etc).
The only other places we will visit on our trip will be Chico and Medford/Ashland Oregon just to see if they might be a fit. We were also told SLO is heavenly and it probably is but we feel the real estate costs in that area are simply too high. We want to budget to spend about $ 350-550k on a home if possible and would love for it to be within 10 miles of the business location we also need to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
I think most of the families with kids do move out to the burbs, but you start losing the population density that is required for new businesses to thrive. It really depends on the type of business you are planning to open.

There is such a long list of suburbs it's hard to answer your question. Can you add any more specifics? I'm more familiar with the ones east of the city, others here have a great perspective of pretty much all the areas around. There are also people on the forum that hate suburbs so take that with a grain of salt if you get those repsonses.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:14 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
If you don't have particularly bad allergies to dust and pollen you shouldn't have much problem. We sell a lot of antihistamines here but it's generally not that big of a problem. And yes, if you're used to high-humidity summers, Sacramento's dry heat (and cool Delta-breeze nights) will be very easy to deal with.

Not sure how comfortable you are with cities, but one of the places that could use such a business is Sacramento itself. I notice more young couples choosing to raise kids in the central city and adjoining neighborhoods, because, well, it's pretty darn nice here. You'll find the bike culture you're looking for (the most-used bike trail in the country is basically in downtown Sacramento's backyard) and a market for the work you are doing--especially in neighborhoods like East Sacramento, there is a demographic who sends their kids to private school and might be interested in what you have to offer.

Sacramento has a reputation for being "two hours from where you'd rather be" but there are also a lot of things to do right here in town and nearby, especially with families in mind. Easy access to natural wonders in the Sierras and the Delta, and big-city intensity in the Bay Area, is at best a nice bonus.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:26 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
I agree there could be a market for this near downtown. A lot of people moving to the area and working downtown would like to live closer to work...but feel the schools aren't what they want for their kds so they start looking further away.

As far as weekend parties - there seem to be quite a few parents out here willing to dish out a lot of money for their kids birthdays. Bouncetown, Bouncopolis, Little Gym, Sky High, Chuck E. Cheese, and I could go on, all offer this type of activity but it's hard to hold the party for less than $200 (not including food and/or cake). Make sure yours either stands out or is cheaper.

Good luck finding a great place and starting your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento