Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 PM

6 posts, read 8,347 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been scouring the forums for the past month or so, but I finally decided I just needed to start a new thread to try to get at a couple of key questions I have. My wife and I have already done quite a bit of research on the area, so I have a pretty good idea of what's what, despite having never lived there.

First, my situation: Married, 1 daughter with autism (preschool age), 1 cat + 1 large dog. Soon to be graduating with my doctorate and will be starting work at UC Davis in August. Currently living in Indiana, grew up in Houston, have never been to Sacramento. We're looking to rent because we don't have the cash to put a down payment on a house. Plus, I currently only have a 3 year appointment at UCD.

Second, our thoughts: While Davis seems to be the top choice for young families, it is too expensive! We've slummed through living in a small apartment for the past 5 years for me to do my degree and we're tired of it, to be honest. Since my wife stays at home to take care of our daughter with special needs we rely on my salary alone, which would allow for rent of ~$1500-1700/month. In Davis, that might get us an 1100 sq ft. 3 bed/1 bath house to rent (if we could find one that allowed pets). But, in areas around Sac we could get much more for that money.

Plus, we are also considering the fact that we would like to get our daughter enrolled in a preschool that specializes in kids with autism. All the ones we've found are in Sacramento, from Land Park to Elk Grove to Natomas. So, we are now looking at 3 areas in particular -- West Sac (southport area), Pocket/Greenhaven (Land Park would be nice, but too $$$), or Natomas (north side).

Question: What would the commute from Pocket to Davis be like? Is traffic on I-5 particularly bad?

Question: How about the commute from West Sac? Does Hwy. 84 get backed up?

Question: Of those 3 areas, which would have the better elementary school (looking towards the future)?

Thanks for any help/insight you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Isn't there a really highly rated autism program in Davis? Any Davis folks know the one I'm talking about?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM

6 posts, read 8,347 times
There is a research institute (MIND Institute) at the UC Davis medical center in Sacramento, but they don't really offer regular day-to-day therapy services...just medical diagnoses and research studies. I have spoken with them. They are top in their field, though, so certainly a good resource to have nearby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento