Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:15 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,430 times

Advertisements

Well, we are looking at areas to move to and the pocket area came up. I really like the didion school. We saw some nice homes but how is the area? I hear horrible things but also hear good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 09:46 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
That's because Greenhaven you can hear good things AND the bad...

I like Greenhaven (it's where my dentist and vet were :P ) And I liked the area to live, but I wouldn't want to raise my kids there, because it's just WAY to close to Florin Road and the Meadowview area.

Meadowview area is the ABSOLUTE worse spot in Sac, it's the bad bad bad gang area...and Florin Road is not that much better.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:17 PM

138 posts, read 510,637 times
I am currently living in orange county new york but we still own a home in the pocket area in sac. It is a great place to live in Sac. My house is right across from Garcia bend park and Matsuyama elementary,one of the best in sac.Didion is very popular and it is K-8 but difficult to get into and it does make those homes more expensive. My house is currently up for rent so please contact me if interested. It is 3 bed 2 bath with a wonderful backyard.It is being maintained by LGL properties in sac.I recommend this area to anyone I meet not just because I have a home for rent but because it is wonderful place and a great place to raise a family. We moved here for my husbands job and I really do misss it.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:30 PM

406 posts, read 1,592,238 times
Freeways act as geographic boundaries. Oak Park is a neighborhood with more than its share of problems. Curtis Park is adjacent to Oak Park and East Sac is pretty close to Oak Park, but both neighborhoods have held for a very long time in part because the freeways act as barriers.

Greenhaven is a fairly established neighborhood going back to the 60's. Like Curtis Park and East Sac, it has managed to hold for a long time through numerous real estate cycles despite being fairly close to a very sketchy neighborhood. If it hasn't fallen in part in any of the past real estate downturns, I am not sure it will in this one.

According to this article Kennedy High has also added an IB program. That is the type of program that will make people move to the area to get involved in the program and I think it will strengthen the neighborhood.

Rating the High Schools - Sacramento Magazine - August 2008 - Sacramento, California

For those reasons, I don't put Greenhaven in the same category as Elk Grove, Natomas or West Sac.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:08 AM

58 posts, read 287,172 times
I've lived in the Pocket for 25 years; just west of the freeway, the first left turn after you leave the dreaded Meadowview. We have a nice little neighborhood newsletter that would be the first to let us know of any impending crime waves forging over the overpass, but so far that hasn't happened. And while I might not choose Meadowview as a place to live, I actually ventured through there yesterday on Florin Road (no guns drawn) and had a tasty chicken burrito at Adelberto's.

The toughest problem you will face in our neighborhood is trying to get your child into Didion. You will need to either settle in the immediate surrounding neighborhood of that school or get online with the district and familiarize yourself with open enrollment procedures which come up in January. Matsuyama Elementary is also a good solid school and check into Lisbon as well.

Carolyn

Old 12-09-2008, 11:06 AM

599 posts, read 1,652,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn Montgomery View Post
I've lived in the Pocket for 25 years; just west of the freeway, the first left turn after you leave the dreaded Meadowview. We have a nice little neighborhood newsletter that would be the first to let us know of any impending crime waves forging over the overpass, but so far that hasn't happened. And while I might not choose Meadowview as a place to live, I actually ventured through there yesterday on Florin Road (no guns drawn) and had a tasty chicken burrito at Adelberto's.

The toughest problem you will face in our neighborhood is trying to get your child into Didion. You will need to either settle in the immediate surrounding neighborhood of that school or get online with the district and familiarize yourself with open enrollment procedures which come up in January. Matsuyama Elementary is also a good solid school and check into Lisbon as well.

Carolyn

What areas should I look at? Why is Didion so hard to get into?

Old 12-11-2008, 09:02 AM

58 posts, read 287,172 times
Didion is hard to get into simply because there are more families with elementary-age children in the area than the school can accommodate. All elementary schools in the Sacramento City district have a population made up of mostly neighborhood children, some children on "open enrollment" status, and a very, very few on permit due to personal circumstances (i.e. - your babysitter is grandma and she lives across the street from Didion even though your family lives in another part of the city). In this fashion a school with 400 desks can fill up quickly.

That being said, I think if you are going to live in Pocket/Greenhaven you should investigate the neighborhood schools there - Caroline Wenzel, Lisbon, Matsuyama, Martin Luther King (hmmmm, I think that's it). Talk directly with the principals;I think you'll be pleased with any one of them.

Carolyn (part-time clerk, Hollywood Park Elementary)

Old 05-24-2009, 01:04 PM

6 posts, read 40,198 times
Hi,
I'm looking for a house to rent in the Greenhaven/Pocket area. Is your home still available? If so, How much is the rent and is a lease available for long term? We are focusing on the end of July or early August to move. I hope to hear from you soon. Have a wonderful weekend!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:05 AM

138 posts, read 510,637 times
The house has been rented for some time now and actually we will be moving back into the home when the renters lease is up. I miss California and my home especially. Good Luck.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 AM

433 posts, read 1,618,763 times
I grew up in the Pocket and it is a great place to raise a family. It's hard for me to believe Didion has crazy high enrollment because the Elementary School I went to (Lisbon Elementary) is being closed down due to low enrollment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento