Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 AM

7 posts, read 22,716 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting transferred to Folsom in a few months. We have 2 boys, 8 and 10. Trying to decide on what Elementary schools to send to and what area to live. Family is very active in Little League and Cub Scouts. I'm an RN so will need to look for part-time job. Have a friend in Folsom that loves it. Just want to live in a friendly neighborhood with lots of kids and families. We will probably have to rent until we can sell our house in San Diego. We are looking at Folsom and El Dorado Hills. Any thoughts of these two places if we could choose either one? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:29 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
AFAIK, you'll find good schools in both. Folsom will probably have more to offer for things to do and it keeps your husband closer to work. (Folsom has a pretty good system of bike paths too, so he might leave the car at home.) That would also make jobs more accessible to you, not just in Folsom but being a little closer to Sacramento proper, and having a light rail line. Plus, you have a friend there! Can't speak to individual neighborhoods or friendliness (I know Nina can), but those are the factors I'd consider.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:04 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
For school ratings, look at this link. School Rankings for the Sacramento metropolitan area, California

Most schools in either city are very good, but there are 1-2 in Folsom that don't rank as high. You can see the maps for info. If you find a place you are considering, you can type in the address on the school web sites to see where your kids would attend...then you call to confirm because boundaries change and schools fill up.

I think both cities are very family and child friendly. There is an old thread discussing the differences between the 2 cities and you can do a search on that. The rental market is VERY tight right now. There doesn't seem to be a centralized place to find rentals, so you'll have to do a search on property management companies and check each one for rentals. Overall, Folsom is bigger, has more shopping/restaurants/paved bike trails, EDH is a bit more suburban but close to ammenities. I've found both to be quite friendly and with lots of activities for families and kids.

Which place is better for you depends on what specifically you like when chosing a city...and what is available to rent when you move here.

Good luck and let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:51 AM

70 posts, read 234,000 times
We are moving from San Diego to El Dorado Hills, in less than 3 weeks. We have 4 boys, who are also in Little League. We chose EDH over Folsom for a few reasons. The schools overall rank a little higher, and EDH has a lower population density. EDH seems (from all I've read and heard from others) to have a "small town" type of feel. Also, we were able to rent a house on a HUGE lot, whereas the houses we were finding in Folsom were much smaller lots.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:37 PM

762 posts, read 2,031,272 times
El dorado hills utilities are a lot more expensive. Edh has a lot more hills (bike riding kids?). And the the things sdbeachbum said. That's about it.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:01 PM

4,030 posts, read 3,308,084 times
I honestly don't see a whole lot of difference between Folsom and El Dorado Hills. I would worry more about finding a home that you like in either area more than I would worry about living in one community vs the other.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:48 AM

7 posts, read 22,716 times
Thanks for all your feedback! Yes, they both seem to be very similar and I think both have some good elementary schools. My biggest concern is renting where we will eventually buy hopefully in a year. Since we aren't getting there till Aug. school will start soon after and I want kids to be settled in that school and not have to move them again. We are also dependent on if we can rent our house in San Diego for a desirable amount. We have already taken a big loss so we need to hang on to it until hopefully market goes up a little. Finding a great house in either area will be our first goal. I'm hoping to still get a nice sized house in a desirable location. I kind of like more city feel but I really need to be there to look around. SDbeachbum, sounds like we have a few things in common! Maybe our boys will cross paths someday. My husband has been a LL manager for last 3 years and this year he'll be coaching our oldest son's all stars team! So, need to start looking into that too for when we get there. Are you sad to be moving away from Southern Cal?

Old 06-10-2012, 10:46 PM

70 posts, read 234,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaschu View Post
Thanks for all your feedback! Yes, they both seem to be very similar and I think both have some good elementary schools. My biggest concern is renting where we will eventually buy hopefully in a year. Since we aren't getting there till Aug. school will start soon after and I want kids to be settled in that school and not have to move them again. We are also dependent on if we can rent our house in San Diego for a desirable amount. We have already taken a big loss so we need to hang on to it until hopefully market goes up a little. Finding a great house in either area will be our first goal. I'm hoping to still get a nice sized house in a desirable location. I kind of like more city feel but I really need to be there to look around. SDbeachbum, sounds like we have a few things in common! Maybe our boys will cross paths someday. My husband has been a LL manager for last 3 years and this year he'll be coaching our oldest son's all stars team! So, need to start looking into that too for when we get there. Are you sad to be moving away from Southern Cal?
Moving away is bittersweet for us, but we're looking forward to a new adventure too!

Old 06-13-2012, 12:28 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Just came across this video that gives an idea of what to expect in Folsom & EDH. It's kind a cool.

The Fabulous US 50 Corridor A Peppers TV Production in cooperation with The Next Step.mp4 - YouTube

Old 06-13-2012, 12:42 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
I think both Folsom and El Dorado Hills are fantastic communities. EDH has more of a country feel, even though Folsom too had huge houses with huge lots. I think there is something for nearly everyone in both communities. I have heard about the so-called less desirable school in Folsom, but, from what I've heard that's debateable despite school scores.

I live in Folsom, but work in EDH & spend a lot of time up there. It's only 1 freeway exit away. There are 2 main shopping centers in EDH - the Bel Air (or Safeway?) on Green Valley Rd, and then Town Center right off Hwy 50 at the Latrobe/EDH Blvd. Most of my friends in EDH tell me that they come to Folsom to do most of their shopping. We have Costco & all the big box, and unique stores. We've got way more shopping options. And even so, it's not as congested or crowded as one might suspect. I live right near Folsom Lake College & our Bel Air shopping center, and the neighborhood is quiet. I love it. I can walk to the grocery store and multiple restaurants, drug store, dry cleaners, basically everything in the Broadstone Marketplace shopping center. And if I'm really energic, I can also walk to another shopping center across E Bidwell, and also to the new Palladio Lifestyle Center, AND I'm only 2 major blocks from the freeway, so totally easy access.

Bottom line, both communties are awesome. Welcome to our neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento