Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 AM

41 posts, read 216,494 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We are planning to relocate to Sacramento Area in the next month or two. We will be renting for the first years and plan to buy a house after that. I have 2 kids one is in elementary and one is going to middle school next year. There are 3 things that we consider the schools, property location (safety/property value) and commute distance. I will be working at Rancho Cordova area.

I know Roseville/South Rocklin has good school mostly and slightly more expensive that Elk Grove; Folsom is good but it would be too expensive for us. We are looking closely on Roseville/South Rocklin but Elk Grove is attractive on price/newer houses and the commute distance would be closer.

I only visited Sacramento once so I have no really good information other than reading online forums.

Your opinion is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Oneway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,961 times
Do what you can for Folsom, even a smaller home. The commute will be too much trouble.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:28 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
I agree with NickB. Roseville/Rocklin will be all traffic and traffic lights getting to Rancho Cordova.

You can also look further East to parts of Cameron Park, Shingle Springs, Rescue where there are less expensive housing options, and great schools. It only adds a few minutes to the commute.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:30 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
If you are looking for newer, less expensive housing near Rancho Cordova, you can look at Anatolia. Lots of discussions on the topic here with polarized opinions about it, just do a search on this forum.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:59 PM

Thank you for the feedback, Any feedback on Elk Grove?

I checked on Google Map during rush hour the traffic would be about 40 minutes for Roseville/South Rocklin and about 30 minutes for Elk Grove.

I agree with Folsom but our budget is only about $1700 most and it would be hard to get decent/newer homes to rent at Folsom.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:59 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
I'd go with Roseville or South Rocklin, and drive down to Rancho Cordova via Hazel Ave (moves much better in rush hour than Sunrise Blvd).

Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 PM

31 posts, read 63,466 times
I agree with NickB - You can find a Folsom house for $1700 or less. You could also look in Gold River or Anatolia. I wouldn't want to commute from Roseville, Rocklin or Elk Grove to Rancho Cordova.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 PM

Hi All, I understand that the commute is bad from Roseville, Rocklin or Elk Grove to Rancho Cordova. But How about School and property location (safety/property value) at Anatolia or other locations. Commute time would be # 3 when considering my new location. I am trying to not to move again so my kids can go to the same schools when we decide to buy a house.

I will look harder for Folsom. Thanks again for the feedbacks.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
I don't think the drive to Rancho Cordova from Roseville or South Rocklin is all that big a deal. I'd figure between 30 and 45 minutes depending upon the places in Roseville/Rocklin you choose to live.

An additional 10-15 minutes each way is certainly worth it for a better lifestyle, especially when kids are involved.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:57 PM

31 posts, read 63,466 times
It all depends on your personal preference. In the Sacramento region, I won't stand for a commute much more than 10 minutes from work because I think that's easily achievable no matter where you work. There are decent schools/homes that close to most places of employment in the region. It's one of the great things about Sacramento in my opinion.

If you don't mind spending 30-45 minutes each way, then you could consider Roseville/Rocklin/Elk Grove. But Folsom, Gold River and Anatolia have schools as good as the areas you have mentioned, and they would only be a 10-20 minute drive. That's extra time each day you get to spend with your kids or on yourself. Well worth it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento