Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 PM

322 posts, read 779,228 times

Advertisements

I live in Paradise and like it a lot, but I'm pushing 60 and can barely take care of my old car and my old dog together. What can I do when I lose my car because it breaks down and I can no longer maintain a car? How do you get around this place? The buses only go down Skyway and down Clark. I can't afford a taxi. I have an application for the dial-a-ride bus or whatever it is, but it asks so many silly questions that its ridiculous, and I think there's a minimum age to use that.

Am I gonna have to move? I don't like the heat in Chico!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,851,107 times
I don't know your town. You do want to make yourself eligible for paratransit, so you can use that as much as possible. But you might want to think about moving to a more transit/walk friendly location, because paratransit certainly doesn't fully substitute for driving.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
One has to qualify for paratransit. It looks like there is a line that covers Paradise, but it appears to have a specific route, unlike in other counties. http://www.blinetransit.com/Paratransit/index.html

But I second the comment above that you should consider moving to a more public transit friendly city, or develop a network of friends. You may want to check into available county or medical services...keeping in mind that these types of services typically do not provide transportation for errands and shopping.

Last edited by caligirlz; 12-04-2012 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: added Paradise info

Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 PM

322 posts, read 779,228 times
Thanks, but the only place I want to move is the state of Washington, for cooler weather. I guess I will check out this forum on that state!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,663 times
You may not be their exact target audience, but they may have ideas on where you could inquire further: Senior and Adult Services

Congrats on your loyalty to your dog. You might consider Oregon as well as Washington.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:32 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I live in Paradise and like it a lot, but I'm pushing 60 and can barely take care of my old car and my old dog together. What can I do when I lose my car because it breaks down and I can no longer maintain a car? How do you get around this place? The buses only go down Skyway and down Clark. I can't afford a taxi. I have an application for the dial-a-ride bus or whatever it is, but it asks so many silly questions that its ridiculous, and I think there's a minimum age to use that.

Am I gonna have to move? I don't like the heat in Chico!

Thanks!
Yes, the B Line Paratransit minibus (aka, dial a ride) will come to your door, but you do need to be 65 & low-income, or else disabled. And since its subsidized, naturally there's an application process. But even in Chico, or for that matter any larger urban area with wider bus service, you'd still have to live near the routes... or at least be willing to walk a few blocks. So maybe you could just try to find someplace in Paradise that's closer to existing routes, which actually cover a pretty large footprint.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:53 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,851,107 times
Under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA), paratransit has to be provided to eligible people within 3/4 mile of a fixed route bus. You do not have to be low income. But I really wouldn't want to rely just on paratransit to get around, it won't give you that much mobility.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:36 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
B Line Butte Regional Transit, Paratransit Eligibility
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento