Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 07:39 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
"The topper" makes drastic exaggerations of everything in every forum. Everything is extreme and black and white. Don't mind him. :-)
110 in Sacramento an exaggeration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 08:37 PM

6,888 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
But I will agree with sav858 that SoCal coast tends not to be too windy. However, this year's May Gray has been windier than normal, adding to the misery. Pacific coastal weather tends to be fickle in the fog department, and I generally prefer inland climates like Sacramento except during the winter when it stays a bit too cool.
There is almost always some sort wind on the coast/beach. Especially up north for sure, but like almost every single day in SoCal as well. I actually lived within a 1/4 mile of Will Rogers beach, specifically "little santa monica canyon" as the locals used to refer to it. It's where Channel Road meets the PCH, at the border of Santa Monica and the City of Los Angeles(The city limits of LA wraps around Santa Monica and just north of it is Pacific Palisades(LA) and Topanga Canyon(LA) north of that is Malibu.

Growing up in SD, I lived less than 4 miles of the Pacific Beach Pier in San Diego, again the wind is almost always blowing. Not sure how well you or sav858 knows the beach if you don't live there, Walnut Creek aint the beach, and just 15 miles inland in SD County is a lot different than being within 4 miles of it, you must know that if you live in San Diego, maybe not.

Like I said before , May Gray, is excellent for Sacramento. It's not gray like the Cali Coast rather its bright and sunny, excellent air quality, windy, and 60F at 7:30pm.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
110 in Sacramento an exaggeration?
The Average is less than one day per year.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:05 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
The Average is less than one day per year.
Lots of above 105 though

Old 05-24-2018, 02:15 AM

July 2016 - Summer

How many 100F Heat Index Days?

Phoenix - 28 Days - heat index

Austin - 26 Days - heat index

Dallas - 26 Days - heat index

Fresno - 9 Days - heat index

Sacramento - 3 Days - heat index

Old 05-24-2018, 08:41 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,260,305 times
Quote:
July 2016 - Summer

How many 100F Heat Index Days?

Phoenix - 28 Days - heat index

Austin - 26 Days - heat index

Dallas - 26 Days - heat index

Fresno - 9 Days - heat index

Sacramento - 3 Days - heat index
Okay but not just heat index... What about actual temperatures? Sac averages 14 days above 100 per Summer. And even that's not that bad. Of course, how many days average, let's say, 95 or above? Probably a lot! Still hot, but... low dew points.

I've wouldn't say Sacramento doesn't feel hot in summer. But, "It's a dry heat," as they famously say about the West. And that makes it a pleasant heat.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:54 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,260,305 times
Quote:
There is almost always some sort wind on the coast/beach. Especially up north for sure, but like almost every single day in SoCal as well. I actually lived within a 1/4 mile of Will Rogers beach, specifically "little santa monica canyon" as the locals used to refer to it. It's where Channel Road meets the PCH, at the border of Santa Monica and the City of Los Angeles(The city limits of LA wraps around Santa Monica and just north of it is Pacific Palisades(LA) and Topanga Canyon(LA) north of that is Malibu.

Growing up in SD, I lived less than 4 miles of the Pacific Beach Pier in San Diego, again the wind is almost always blowing. Not sure how well you or sav858 knows the beach if you don't live there, Walnut Creek aint the beach, and just 15 miles inland in SD County is a lot different than being within 4 miles of it, you must know that if you live in San Diego, maybe not.

Like I said before , May Gray, is excellent for Sacramento. It's not gray like the Cali Coast rather its bright and sunny, excellent air quality, windy, and 60F at 7:30pm.
I'll say that growing up in Walnut Creek, I definitely didn't have a good perspective on the coastal weather. It's really far from the actual coast. But being in San Diego for so many years and living anywhere from Mission Valley to Scripps Ranch, we've always been close enough to the coast that we are there all the time. It's not like we stay in our neighborhood and won't drive the 15 to 20 minutes. I've been to La Jolla twice this week, and each time it was chilly and breezy. There seems to be a large swath of Southern California that doesn't get very much wind, just east of that coastal strip and just west of the farther Inland valleys. It's actually reminds me quite a bit of San Jose. Once you get farther inland again, like Ramona for example, you can expect even more of an afternoon Breeze than along the coast. Where we live now, we are actually far enough east and high enough in elevation, over 900 feet, that we get quite a bit of regular afternoon Breeze, enough so that I'd say we have no more than a dozen truly balmy evenings per year where we can sit outside for dinner, even though we are regularly 15 to 25 degrees warmer than the coast during the day. But the coast still affects us. It's definitely different from the Hillcrest / Mission Valley / Mira Mesa type climate that's only five or six miles to our West and that I say would predominates most of metro San Diego.

So that's a long way of saying yes, I totally understand the coastal Breeze because I live in it now. When we lived in Mission Valley, it almost felt like we were living in a stage set with no weather. Now, we definitely perceive the weather a lot more, but in a nice way, more similar to what I remember growing up in Walnut Creek, and perhaps a modified and gentler form of what you have in Sacramento. And I absolutely love it.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:15 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:

I lived 8 blocks from the ocean in Pacific Beach, which is a helluva lot closer than 4 miles. I would ride by bike along the boardwalk 3 miles to my gym at the Wavehouse after work 5 days a week. It's nowhere near as windy as the Northern CA coast. Even when there is a slight breeze on the beach it will dissipate just several blocks away many times. And again San Diego is less windy than Sacramento and that's a fact. You yourself always talk about the "Delta Breeze", aka the WIND, in Sacramento all the time.

"May Gray" isn't a thing in Northern CA, it's actually one of SF's sunniest months of the year while being the opposite in Southern CA.

Last edited by sav858; 05-24-2018 at 09:38 AM..

Old 05-25-2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I lived 8 blocks from the ocean in Pacific Beach, which is a helluva lot closer than 4 miles. I would ride by bike along the boardwalk 3 miles to my gym at the Wavehouse after work 5 days a week. It's nowhere near as windy as the Northern CA coast. Even when there is a slight breeze on the beach it will dissipate just several blocks away many times. And again San Diego is less windy than Sacramento and that's a fact. You yourself always talk about the "Delta Breeze", aka the WIND, in Sacramento all the time.

"May Gray" isn't a thing in Northern CA, it's actually one of SF's sunniest months of the year while being the opposite in Southern CA.
You conveniently forgot the part that I lived 2 BLOCKS from the ocean in LA, which is a helluva lot closer than 8 blocks, lol. You missed the whole point that the marine layer (clouds and wind) combined with 60F or LESS on the coast (north or south) can feel chilly or cold especially during the summer while most of the rest of the nation is experiencing much warmer "real summer" type weather.

Oh Really, "May Gray" isn't a thing in NorCal, tell that to the folks who live on the western side of the SF Peninsula.

Not only do they have "May Gray" and "June Gloom", they have "JULY IS A LIE", and "AUGUST IS THE FOGGIEST" as well. It's friggin chilly, foggy, windy, and overcast on the SF Peninsula coast practically all summer long. Its not normal warm/hot summer weather that most of the nation experiences.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:56 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
You conveniently forgot the part that I lived 2 BLOCKS from the ocean in LA, which is a helluva lot closer than 8 blocks, lol. You missed the whole point that the marine layer (clouds and wind) combined with 60F or LESS on the coast (north or south) can feel chilly or cold especially during the summer while most of the rest of the nation is experiencing much warmer "real summer" type weather.

Oh Really, "May Gray" isn't a thing in NorCal, tell that to the folks who live on the western side of the SF Peninsula.

Not only do they have "May Gray" and "June Gloom", they have "JULY IS A LIE", and "AUGUST IS THE FOGGIEST" as well. It's friggin chilly, foggy, windy, and overcast on the SF Peninsula coast practically all summer long. Its not normal warm/hot summer weather that most of the nation experiences.
You mean in a CANYON which tend to funnel winds? Doesn’t sound like you were on the beach nearly as much as I was. No wonder your perception is so off and skewed.

So now it’s 60 and not 65? You’re always moving the goal post it seems. Again it’s not nearly as windy on the Southern CA coast as the Northern CA coast or even Sacramento. So 60f feels warmer in San Diego than it does in SF and Sacramento because it’s less windy on average. FACT.

May Gray and June Gloom aren’t terms commonly used up here and never have been. And for good reason as it doesn’t make much sense seeing that May is statistically one of the sunniest months of the year along the Northern CA coast, FACT. While in Southern CA it’s one of least sunny months. So go ahead and call it May gray, one will just sound stupid considering it’s one of the sunniest months of the year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Gloom

“June Gloom is a Southern California term for a...”

Not sure why Northern California is all of a suddenly trying to copy and use these SoCal terms so much.

Last edited by sav858; 05-25-2018 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento