Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 02:23 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,573,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
You took 3 long paragraphs to pretty much say exactly what Chimérique has been saying all along, that yes, Sacramento has been weather than most of the country, and only doesn't look ideal when compared to coastal California.
Lol that's the most I've ever seen you post here. Usually it's a cryptic 1 word comnent, a picture or even a thumbs up. Nice work .

Bottom line a S-sammich with pickles is better than a plain ol' S-Sammich, but still farrrr frim perfect. You dig?

I do like Sac and its weather overall. But part of this thread jumped on the stupid-train and kept going. Thanks for sarcastically advancing it. Let me know how many people revel in the perfect weather during the first (and soon to come) 102 degree day that comes complete with a subtle hint of dust and tar from fresh road work in the air. Ahhh, perfect. Ok, at least better than a corn field in Kansas.

By the way: two of my good friends that live here are from Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 PM

6,909 posts, read 8,282,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Lol that's the most I've ever seen you post here. Usually it's a cryptic 1 word comnent, a picture or even a thumbs up. Nice work .

Bottom line a S-sammich with pickles is better than a plain ol' S-Sammich, but still farrrr frim perfect. You dig?

I do like Sac and its weather overall. But part of this thread jumped on the stupid-train and kept going. Thanks for sarcastically advancing it. Let me know how many people revel in the perfect weather during the first (and soon to come) 102 degree day that comes complete with a subtle hint of dust and tar from fresh road work in the air. Ahhh, perfect. Ok, at least better than a corn field in Kansas.

By the way: two of my good friends that live here are from Chicago.
LOL. Oh my god, you still don't get it. Sacramento weather is better than the entire midwest and south and east!

Like 90% of the country doesn't smell tar when they are working on the road.

Comments like yours and your perception is the reason for the thread. LOL.

You say Sacramento is dusty, bull crap, compared to the desert southwest and most of Southern California, Sacramento is a green fertile oasis.

You do know that 2/3 the nation has very hot summer days, (heat index hot) more often than Sacramento.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
LOL. Oh my god, you still don't get it. Sacramento weather is better than the entire midwest and south and east!

You say Sacramento is dusty, bull crap, compared to the desert southwest and most of Southern California, Sacramento is a green fertile oasis.

You do know that 2/3 the nation has very hot summer days, (heat index hot) more often than Sacramento.
Days like yesterday are awesome. Today looks great today as well. Now I know I botched the driver stat I posted, but I am 100% positive that Sac rates top 10 in the separate categories that rate the worst cities in the nation in particulate matter and smog. The particulate matter and allergens go hand in hand with the seasonal change and the heat that we are discussing. So in my opinion, if you are going to knock areas like FL not solely based upon the actual temp but by including the humidity, then you have to knock Sac down for the air quality. And our air is horrendous by any objective measure.

I do fully understand the points that you are making; I just disagree. 90% of the country does not have our air. Plenty of areas of the country do not experience the extreme heatwaves that we do. I used my old residence in Spokane as ine such example. Our heat for whatever stretch it continues for is enough to keep many people from that area or other areas away - so it is not perfect for them. In fact, I have recently spoken to 2 salesmen from Washington state and Alaska respectively who questioned me as to how much hotter will it get? To them, it's already uncomfortbale.

I think some people from other areas may consider our area better than their's in some respects, but not all. I have never met a person from anywhere outside this area who described our weather as perfect, even by comparison to where they left. Maybe you have, but in the end we are really just debating a matter of preference.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:29 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,287,780 times
So, anything less than "perfect" is miserable and awful? I'm not sure anyone is describing Sacramento's weather as perfect, so it sounds like you're setting up a straw man, sacite. And if you're so positive, provide some proof, because nobody else appears to believe you. Sure, folks from Alaska and Washington will consider Sacramento hot--just as Texans would consider Alaska cold. You're trying to make subjective criteria into something objective, and claiming that people can't possibly like weather unless it fits your personal, subjective ideal of "perfection."

Old 04-16-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Days like yesterday are awesome. Today looks great today as well. Now I know I botched the driver stat I posted, but I am 100% positive that Sac rates top 10 in the separate categories that rate the worst cities in the nation in particulate matter and smog. The particulate matter and allergens go hand in hand with the seasonal change and the heat that we are discussing. So in my opinion, if you are going to knock areas like FL not solely based upon the actual temp but by including the humidity, then you have to knock Sac down for the air quality. And our air is horrendous by any objective measure.

I do fully understand the points that you are making; I just disagree. 90% of the country does not have our air. Plenty of areas of the country do not experience the extreme heatwaves that we do. I used my old residence in Spokane as ine such example. Our heat for whatever stretch it continues for is enough to keep many people from that area or other areas away - so it is not perfect for them. In fact, I have recently spoken to 2 salesmen from Washington state and Alaska respectively who questioned me as to how much hotter will it get? To them, it's already uncomfortbale.

I think some people from other areas may consider our area better than their's in some respects, but not all. I have never met a person from anywhere outside this area who described our weather as perfect, even by comparison to where they left. Maybe you have, but in the end we are really just debating a matter of preference.
Again, when I have ever said Sacramento was perfect, rather I am saying it is better than 80-90% of the country.

You harp on air pollution, so exactly how many days is it bad, it's all relative. You make it sound like everyday Sacramento has bad air quality, not in the least. Sacramento ranks low in particular matter; we don't have that kind of pollution. You are confusing Sacramento with the San Joaquin Valley.

Allegries: Sacramento is on the low-medium scale compared to the rest of the nation.

Do you know how humid-hot the entire state of Florida is for 4 months out of the year or Texas, 95% of the entire state. Or how hot every large city in the nation is compared to Sacramento? Read the thread look at the stats. Sacramento has nothing near that kind of uncomfortable heat.

Read the thread, search the thread see how many days of high heat Sac gets compared to other cities.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 PM

Do you know there are only two large metro areas - in the middle of the summer - that get as cool as Sacramento does at night, only 2 others, the Bay Area and Seattle. Sacramento averages cooler evenings, nights, and mornings then ALL other larger metros beside those in the 3-4 months of summer. REALLY.

You are measuring Sacramento against coastal California and the coastal valleys of California which really do have "perfect weather".

You talk of Spokane or the PNW for not being able to tolerant 80 plus summer warmth. Well if they can't handle Sacramento, then they couldn't handle every city on the east coast, south, desert southwest, florida, texas, and the entire midwest, except for high mountain locations. Yes, SF Marin and Sonoma coasts would much more tolerable in the summer for them.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:32 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

I truly disagree with your statements that Sacramento has better weather than the entire MidWest and South and East. One of the reasons why I left Sacramento was because I wanted to experience some real weather for once. I do miss Sacto summers and humidity royally sucks, but I also love the cold and snow. I love thunderstorms. I love TRUE autumn days and TRUE spring days. I love four truly distinct seasons.

For what it is worth I find that people tend to appreciate the end of spring and summer more when they experience a truly cold (and snowy) winter and one appreciates that cool fall breeze more when your summers are brutally humid.

I usually visit Sacto over the Holidays. It still gives me a chuckle every time I see someone in down parka complete with scarf and gloves looking like they are about to go on a Polar ice exploration. Then there are the numbers of those who break out umbrellas when there is only a mist/drizzle in the air. And as much as California needs it, when it does rain....talk about the end of the world

Old 04-18-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
So, anything less than "perfect" is miserable and awful? I'm not sure anyone is describing Sacramento's weather as perfect, so it sounds like you're setting up a straw man, sacite. And if you're so positive, provide some proof, because nobody else appears to believe you. Sure, folks from Alaska and Washington will consider Sacramento hot--just as Texans would consider Alaska cold. You're trying to make subjective criteria into something objective, and claiming that people can't possibly like weather unless it fits your personal, subjective ideal of "perfection."
Lol! The concept of "better" weather is pretty subjective. So this entire thread is just an offering of opinion; it's not conclusive of anything. Even by the objective criteria sone are attempting to apply, it's still ridiculous.

If you really want hard numbers to support the premise of this thread, subtract the population of the greater Sac area from that of CA - (because Sac does not have "better" weather than anywhere in Socal or Norcal and only "equal" to the rest of the valley) - and then divide difference by the population of the entire country. That quotient will already prove that our weather is not better (using the standards on this thread) than 90% of the country. Stated in simpler terms, Sac doesn't have "better" weather than the rest of the state of CA, which holds a sizeable chunk of the entire US population.

Starting from that point we could then begin to debate whether our weather is "better" than a major metro like Miami or even Minneapolis. Locale by locale, micro-climate by micro-climate we can sum up the entire population of the U.S and determine which areas Sac beats out. We can then come up with a percentage that I sure as S guarantee you is far, far below 90%. So even by the standards of this board the figure is likely < than 50%, which means by rule of math Sac's weather is NOT better in compared to the rest of the country.

But that would be the way to go about measuring how much "better" our weather truly is if a method existed to measure the subjective term "better".. But there is no such measure.

Best friend loved Minneapolis weather - and he's from LA. Coworker is from Yuba City and she cannot stand the heat in Sac. Uncle in WA loves Seattle's weather. I mean, the variance between likes and dislikes in weather is completely random and unpredictable. I may love Sac weather and my neighbor of 25 yrs may hate it. The only way you can difinitively say Sac's weather is preferred by the rest of the country would be through sampling - and that's obviously impossible because most of the country has never even been here.

I find it almost laughable though that an area with our air quality would ever be considered better, best or however you define it. Kooking down frim Kalithea Park in EDH you can see a consistent, thick hayes of particulate and smog. Some days I wonder how I can even breathe in my jogs in Sac.

Fine if you want to debate, but when I am told I "am not getting it" or "not reading the thread" and people obviously haven't even considered the points I just raised, there's not much more for me to say than "I hear you, but I disagree".

All in all this is my fav area of the country though. So I am done arguing against it .

Last edited by sacite; 04-18-2014 at 12:37 AM..

Old 04-18-2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I truly disagree with your statements that Sacramento has better weather than the entire MidWest and South and East. One of the reasons why I left Sacramento was because I wanted to experience some real weather for once. I do miss Sacto summers and humidity royally sucks, but I also love the cold and snow. I love thunderstorms. I love TRUE autumn days and TRUE spring days. I love four truly distinct seasons.

For what it is worth I find that people tend to appreciate the end of spring and summer more when they experience a truly cold (and snowy) winter and one appreciates that cool fall breeze more when your summers are brutally humid.

I usually visit Sacto over the Holidays. It still gives me a chuckle every time I see someone in down parka complete with scarf and gloves looking like they are about to go on a Polar ice exploration. Then there are the numbers of those who break out umbrellas when there is only a mist/drizzle in the air. And as much as California needs it, when it does rain....talk about the end of the world
But these people are telling you what's better for you .

Old 04-18-2014, 12:48 AM

48 posts, read 96,207 times
I've lived all over the country and world and experienced many different climates. I was born and lived half my life in Santa Barbara so I grew up in the perfect climate. And I do believe that climate is perfect. Look at a yearly average of highs and lows and it's almost a flat line through 75 degrees. I've lived in the high humidy (Florida, Georgia), extreme weather (Oklahoma tornados and ice storms), High dry heat of Idaho, Cold of Iceland, tropical ocean-paradise humidity of the Pacific Islands, and 4-seasons of Europe.

For me, Sacramento has one of the rare very tolerable climates year round with as little fluctuation as possible. I can only consider a few places to retire and the entire eastern 2/3 of the U.S. is not a possibility for me because of the climate. Since the preffered CA coast is too expensive, that option is out. Which only leaves climates like Sacramento and the deserts of Arizona and Nevada. But the desert is not a close second because of the high temps of the summers and you still get cold winters. At least there is no snow and its a dry heat, but I would defintely prefer Sacramento over the desert states, so in my oppinion, Sac has one of the best climates is the country.

Of course the entire idea of "best climate" is completely subjective. If you like snow and seasons, then this perspective is not one you would agree with. But for me, "best" is closest to a comfortable mean temp all year round at both the highs and lows, no extremes and no violent weather like storms, hurricanes, ice/heavy snow, etc. I've never had to fear for my life because of weather anywhere but in Oklahoma and after going through that, I'll never live in a place like that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento