Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,753 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of relocating from Carson City to Sac soon, we're not huge yuppies and will be renting. Our price range is 900 or less for a 2-3 bedroom. We have two kids and want to be around good schools and not have to worry too much about crime. From what I've seen on craigslist southeastern sac is in our price range. My question is: is it nice to live around there? If not do you have any other ideas?

I do know that our price range means we typically won't be in the safest area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 PM

57 posts, read 116,029 times
I don't like being too negative about places, but I would avoid southeastern Sacramento. Driving around the area in general you can get a sense that it's a bit rough. Or check out the police crime maps. The Lemon Hill area (if you include that as part of southeast) has been featured in the paper for its hopelessness and violence. I'm sure someone can post something more positive, but I'd vote no.

That price for a house is going to be kind of tough. Maybe try searching around Tahoe Park for something within that range in a decent neighborhood, or a little to the south in Colonial Heights. However, I think most of the homes will probably be over $1,000.

I'm assuming the children are elementary age? Sacramento City actually has some very good elementary schools--probably not in the neighborhood you're going to live in, but you can enroll your children at a different school (google Sacramento City open enrollment for more information). William Land Elementary has a Mandarin immersion program; Crocker Riverside is basically a wealthy suburban school within the city limits; and there are others.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:09 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,300 times
I would say avoid South East Sacramento at all cost; however, in my opinion, it is not as "bad" as other places in the bay area or Los Angeles. But I would rule that South East Sacramento is not safe. Places off of Florin Rd by hwy 99 is OK, but surrounding areas are very sketchy. The general rule for safe living in Sacramento is to avoid places by 99 and try to stay by the I5 side. (except for Meadowview)

Did you try apartments.com?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento