Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 12:17 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
This has got to be the last year I do the heat here! I live in Butte County (Chico area) and I am very heat intolerant. I want to move to the state of Washington but I can't afford to drive all the way up there and scout in my crappy car. I'm on Section 8, so would need to move my voucher.
Unless your car is like 20 years old, I'm curious why you feel it won't make it.

I did an even farther drive (San Diego --> Seattle). Worst part of it, honestly, was Siskyou Pass. Once you get through that the rest is pretty much just boring. Well, except for the high winds and rain right after hitting Oregon. But I assume that's seasonal (it was winter when I did the drive).

The other thing to consider is renting a car. You'd need it for a few days of course, so it's not blatantly cheap, but that gets away from the old car concern at least.

Or, consider just going to Northern California. In my experience the extreme heat applies to South and Central. Up north wasn't anywhere near that. I'm talking places like Eureka (which is coastal and has weather comparable to Seattle, if not cooler) and Yreka (which doesn't feel like California at all. Totally temperate).

BTW, I notice you're kind of hinged on the moving vouchers. Know that the Obama Admin is doing everything in their power to block this. So your choices are going to grow increasingly limited unless/until you open up options a bit. If you're retired that's another story obviously, but what I mean is, if the cost of living in some of these areas is such that you could make it work on your retirement income rather than hinging on Section 8, don't be closed to that option.

I still say Eureka is likely a perfect option - if you can make the retirement income work rather than Section 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 01:40 PM

115 posts, read 226,878 times
Not sure why you think there is no medical care in Santa Rosa, do you mean it is hard to find doctors that accept MedI-Cal or CMSP. The rules for getting Medi-Cal are identical in each of the California counties and Sonoma county is also on the CMSP county list. These days with the ACA, it is very easy to get Medi-Cal or CMSP at either no cost or with a share of cost.
CMSP is for those who do not have any linkage to Medi-Cal.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:15 PM

322 posts, read 779,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Just a cold drink and some shade, and nights that cool off nicely. Makes the transition from "unbearable" to "bearable."
Where are you guys talking about?

Old 06-13-2015, 05:59 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
Where are you guys talking about?
Delta Region.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:06 PM

117 posts, read 149,828 times
Heartfocus -

I'm a little like you in that I can no longer bare the summer heat. I live in Fresno, Ca, and in case you are not aware of it the heat is like a blow torch here. The 10-day extended forecast is all in the 100's . Compounded is the fact the these five Lower SJV counties have the worst air in the country, not just for particulate matter but also ozone.

In my research I found that Redding actually has some of the best air in the country and makes all the good air lists. It still gets hot there but at least you don't have the heat and bad air.

Right now the only thing keeping me is my elderly parents but I'm already putting things in place and doing all the research for that day when I will be able to pack up and leave.

I wish I had personal experience to give you about OR or WA, but I wish you luck...

Old 06-13-2015, 09:41 PM

89 posts, read 132,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Just a cold drink and some shade, and nights that cool off nicely. Makes the transition from "unbearable" to "bearable."
Where do you live? It's 103 degrees at 9 pm. Maybe you live in an alternate world or something but Sac has horrific summer weather. Yea it's cooler than Phoenix and Las Vegas.... big deal.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Well, if you want to use Denti-Cal, you have to stay in CA. Good luck finding anywhere in CA on the coast that accepts new dental patients with Denti-Cal.

You could do like me, and live where it's cool and just call every month until they finally open the waiting list. Or drive several hours back to wherever you are now getting dental care when you need it.

You don't get cheap and perfect. Either compromise or stay where you are, I guess.

You won't find better benefits in OR, that I know. Good luck.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:02 AM

168 posts, read 240,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILife09 View Post
Where do you live? It's 103 degrees at 9 pm. Maybe you live in an alternate world or something but Sac has horrific summer weather. Yea it's cooler than Phoenix and Las Vegas.... big deal.
Right now it is 62F in Sac at 11pm... SF is 57 so Sac is only 5 degrees warmer.

This thread is for Chico and it is currently 83 there right now. Difference between Chico and Sac are night and day

Old 06-14-2015, 05:14 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
What the heck are you talking about it was not 103 at 9pm yesterday in Sacramento. Your the one living in an alternate world.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:37 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Quote:
Well that pretty much sucks for you, but if it was 103 degrees at 9 PM where you were last night you weren't in Sacramento. It was maybe 75-80 degrees in Midtown last night at 9 PM, with a nice breeze, plenty of people out on the street in Midtown enjoying the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento