Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 12:28 AM

251 posts, read 376,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elexis_Sacramento View Post
Natomas, Elk Grove, and Fair Oaks are the first few places I think off with that criteria. Natomas is perfect because it's easy to jump on the freeway and get to Downtown (normally 5-10 minutes). We have quite a few shopping centers out here and if the doesn't suffice than it's easy to hop on the freeway and drive to the Roseville galleria or take a quick drive through a few neighborhoods to get to the Arden Fair Mall. Plus we are super close to the airport. Garden Highway is a great place to consider also
Natomas and Elk grove are mostly tract houses that aren't in established neighborhoods with mature trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 12:40 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Natomas, Elk Grove, and Fair Oaks are the first few places I think off with that criteria. Natomas is perfect because __. Garden Highway is a great place to consider also
Natomas, Elk Grove, Garden Hwy west of 5 are Cookie cutter heaven
South Natomas & Garden Hey east of 5 is older, and pretty tattered around the edges.
Agree with Fair Oaks being non-cookie cutter with lots of unique property but doesn't really meet other criteria. Fair Oaks village is cute & walking distance to a couple of restaurants, but certainly not the happening place like midtown.

Not really a city but I'd also suggest Winding Way between Fair Oaks & Hazel strictly for one of a kind property.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:52 PM

8 posts, read 7,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjones View Post
Natomas and Elk grove are mostly tract houses that aren't in established neighborhoods with mature trees.
I disagree. Natomas and Elk grove bother have lovely established neighborhoods. Two of my favorite are Westlake and Natomas Park.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:15 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
That's fine to disagree. I think the majority of posters here do agree it's cookie cutter. But, there's nothing wrong with cookie cutter, if that's ones style. I like newer construction, and that's pretty much what is available in my budget. If I were buying.

I do think there is more variety as far as floor plans & builders in some of the 2008 boom towns like Elk Grove, Lincoln & No Natomas, than in someplace like Folsom. When I was looking, I was pretty much stuck with Elliot & Standard Homes for newer homes. I don't care for patio style, need a little arm room, so I went with Elliot. The floor plan while ridiculous, is the best I found at the time. Oh well, it's just a house.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:28 PM

97 posts, read 118,921 times
Quote:
I disagree. Natomas and Elk grove bother have lovely established neighborhoods. Two of my favorite are Westlake and Natomas Park.
Maybe your definition of established is different from most. Both are definitely nothing but tract homes without charm and ugly trees. Don't get me wrong I live in Natomas Park and yes the neighborhood in general is nice. Friendly people, safe, decent community, the clubhouse is pretty sweet if you're home is part of the HOA, especially for the price. Location is great for folks that want to be fairly close to town, to the airport and 'closer' to the Bay Area. There are a few schools that are decent, but many are not. If you can get into Natomas Charter (K-12) or Westlake Charter (K-6?) both are very high rated schools. Heron Elementary is one of the better elementary school in Natomas (Natomas Park) IMO if your home is assigned to it.

Overall he would have to prioritize his criteria (including detail minimal specs of a home) and search for good schools in various 'established' areas. East Sac, Landpark and possibly Midtown are examples of what I consider established neighborhoods with very charming homes. At his budget he probably won't get much sq footage though unless it's a fixer upper. If he can get over the fact of owning a tract home and being further deep into sac (in comparsion to Bay Area) then of course places like Roseville/Granite Bay, Folsom/Eldorado Hills are great options where he can get a much bigger home at his budget with many high rated schools to choose from.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:50 AM

251 posts, read 376,211 times
Quote:
The neighborhoods may be lovely but established? No. Unless you mean physically established within the last 10-15 years. When most think of established neighborhoods they think older neighborhoods not areas built in the last decade. My mom lives in North Natomas, right across the street from her is the exact same floor plan home as hers and 4 houses down same floor plan again. That is cookie cutter/ tract homes where builders come out with 4 floor plans for a neighborhood and build the whole neighborhood with a mix of those houses. Anytime you have a builder whether it be KB, Lennar, Standard Pacific etc. you are going to run into that issue.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:52 AM

8 posts, read 7,950 times
My opinion is based on how many Natomas Neighborhoods I've seen, homes I've sold out there, and the fact that I've live out here for 20 years. Some areas do fit the description you provided but a majority don't but to each their own.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:59 AM

5 posts, read 5,537 times
Thanks to everyone that has replied. Love everyone's perspective.

I'm going to knock the MCM style down the priority list a little bit. We spent yesterday going through a lot of South Land Park and the Sierra Oaks area. It's a really tough call because while I didn't want to be down HWY 50, we noticed a lot more younger families and people outside during the evening than we have in South Land Park. I'll have to visit both several more times to really see if it's a consistent thing.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:32 PM

96 posts, read 299,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodriver View Post
Thanks to everyone that has replied. Love everyone's perspective.

I'm going to knock the MCM style down the priority list a little bit. We spent yesterday going through a lot of South Land Park and the Sierra Oaks area. It's a really tough call because while I didn't want to be down HWY 50, we noticed a lot more younger families and people outside during the evening than we have in South Land Park. I'll have to visit both several more times to really see if it's a consistent thing.
You're missing out on the rest of Land Park, Curtis Park and East Sacramento and Boulevard Park in Midtown. You really ought to explore those neighborhoods before Sierra Oaks. Nothing wrong with Sierra Oaks, but the other neighborhoods are closer to the river/central city and are as close as you'll get to your other criteria.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:34 PM

5 posts, read 5,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 511pf View Post
You're missing out on the rest of Land Park, Curtis Park and East Sacramento and Boulevard Park in Midtown. You really ought to explore those neighborhoods before Sierra Oaks. Nothing wrong with Sierra Oaks, but the other neighborhoods are closer to the river/central city and are as close as you'll get to your other criteria.
We're making those our next stops for research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento