Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 08:07 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,073,527 times

Advertisements

2sleepy, that's a great idea (rental income.)

I saw some duplexes in Carmichael for sale, but the asking price was 260 (not for the whole thing, but for just one half.) So, obviously 500K is out of my budget.

I'm so impressed by the huge lots you guys have (in Carmichael, CH, and Fair Oaks.) Makes for such a country feel. Watering all that yard must get expensive, though, unless you plant CA native plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 08:14 AM

42,813 posts, read 26,523,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
2sleepy, that's a great idea (rental income.) I saw some duplexes in Carmichael for sale, but the asking price was 260 (not for the whole thing, but for just one half.) So, obviously 500K is out of my budget. I'm so impressed by the huge lots you guys have (in Carmichael, CH, and Fair Oaks.) Makes for such a country feel. Watering all that yard must get expensive, though, unless you plant CA native plants.
There are duplexes for under 300k, I just checked Redfin:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Carmichael.../home/19203322

What impresses me about these duplexes is that they are almost all very well maintained; multi-family housing can become a drag on other property values, but these look every bit as nice as nearby single family homes.

We grow about 70% of our own produce and have a number of fruit trees, but we only have a tiny patch of lawn in the back yard, except for planter beds everything is hardscape, ie. crushed granite, redwood mulch or native plant groundcover. All of our plants are on drip and our front yard is xeriscaped with no lawn. We aren't on a water meter but try to lessen our impact on scarce resources as much as we can. We have three compost bins, we recycle grass trimings, leaves etc. and our chicken's poop keeps that compost cooking lol.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:24 PM

251 posts, read 378,301 times
Quote:
2sleepy, that's a great idea (rental income.)

I saw some duplexes in Carmichael for sale, but the asking price was 260 (not for the whole thing, but for just one half.) So, obviously 500K is out of my budget.

I'm so impressed by the huge lots you guys have (in Carmichael, CH, and Fair Oaks.) Makes for such a country feel. Watering all that yard must get expensive, though, unless you plant CA native plants.
Here are some of the duplexes in Carmichael. If it's listed as a duplex it will be both units. If it's listed as a halfplex then it'll be just one side. Most home search engines you can either search duplex or multi-family.

Carmichael Multifamily Homes for Sale - Carmichael, CA Multi-Family Real Estate - realtor.com®

Old 12-16-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjones View Post
here are some of the duplexes in carmichael. If it's listed as a duplex it will be both units. If it's listed as a halfplex then it'll be just one side. Most home search engines you can either search duplex or multi-family.

carmichael multifamily homes for sale - carmichael, ca multi-family real estate - realtor.com®
thanks!

Old 12-16-2015, 08:36 AM

PS- One of your local realtors in Sac told me that your region may see another flood of short-sales and/or foreclosures in 2016 because many speculative home buyers bought homes during the boom years using a 10 yr low, fixed interest rate, and now those homes are underwater compared to what they paid in 2006.

Have you locals been hearing this news also? If the Sac market goes through many more short sales, I may wait to purchase to see how housing values hold up. Any comments are welcome.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:01 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,345,515 times
Quote:
I can't remember the exact source, but a few days ago Sac make the "top 10" list of metros that should expect healthy gains in home appreciation. I wish I had jumped in in 2010 The article said some of this is due to "spill over" from the grossly inflated Bay area housing market.

Unfortunately, my town Phoenix is appreciating, but not at a pace I'm happy with.

On a side note, I've been casually looking for starter homes in Carmichael. Would you say the entire town is generally a safe bet? I like a community that's somewhat close in, established, stable, and well cared for. THANKS.
I remember my brother and I watched the market rise and we hesitated. It just kept going up and up. We just couldn't believe it. Homes that wasn't even built yet and their value already rise $20K, $30K in value. It was just crazy. We simply got out priced for hesitating.

At the height of the market, it got so crazy, part time workers at Walmart was jumping in buying $200K homes in the ghetto that was once worth only $50K. Homes that was worth $200K, now worth $500K. Right there, I knew the market was going to crash because I knew Sacramento income CAN NOT support that kind of mortgage.

My brother and I watched patiently and when we felt the market have bottom out, we purchased in 2010. It was great for those who waited. Better for those who bought prior to the rise and sold it at the top and continue renting until 2010. Those people really cashed in.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:54 AM

42,813 posts, read 26,523,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
I remember my brother and I watched the market rise and we hesitated. It just kept going up and up. We just couldn't believe it. Homes that wasn't even built yet and their value already rise $20K, $30K in value. It was just crazy. We simply got out priced for hesitating. .
Yep, and my husband and I made the same mistake in 2011 when we knew that when DH retired we would be moving to Sacramento, we looked at houses for $150-$200k and intuitively knew that they would never be that cheap again, but we weren't going to retire until 2014 so we would have had to rent the house out for three years, so we foolishly waited, bought in Oct 2014 and those 150k homes were selling for 280-310 ugh. In retrospect we would have been way ahead of the game if we had bought two of those homes, rented them both out, then when we retired moved into one and kept the other as an investment

Old 12-16-2015, 10:29 AM

888 posts, read 893,331 times
Blackstone's Invitation Homes continues to buy homes in Sacramento market - Sacramento Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...html?ana=yahoo

Old 12-16-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Blackstone's Invitation Homes continues to buy homes in Sacramento market - Sacramento Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...html?ana=yahoo
Good info link. Thank you!

Old 12-17-2015, 11:58 AM

42 posts, read 80,700 times
Real estate indicators point to strong 2016

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...rong-2016.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento