Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,517 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread about this earlier but I thought I should ask again and bring up more issues that I'm worrying about...

I'm not sure when I'll move. Hopefully soon. Sacramento is where I for sure want to move. I had thoughts about LA but there's no way I will be able to live there in the expensive apartments and be able to get around anywhere due to all the traffic congestion.

I am in college right now getting my bachelors....my parents suggest I wait until after I get it to move but I really can't wait that much longer. I am doing classes online and getting very good grades (along with having a job) so it wouldn't be much of a hassle to move for me due to the flexibility of school.

I work at McDonald's now but I was thinking of working at maybe In N' Out or another area of work, such as a store or something. In your opinions, what are the best jobs that I could best do? I'm almost 22 and have worked a variety of jobs so I'm really willing to do pretty much anything. I'm from Iowa so I'm sure the wages are higher than 7.25/hr. (then again it also doesn't cost much to live where I'm from either).

What's the amount of gang activity there? Thats one thing I'm worried about also. I know that if I just stay to myself they should leave me alone but I want to make sure I'm living in an area where I feel safe. In your opinions, where are the worst areas of Sacramento that I should try and avoid? I know I can look this up but I'd like opinions too.

I'm really nervous about moving. I feel like I'm going to fail (not just in Sacramento, but everywhere). I'm trying to find a roommate to help with the costs, but I feel like if I can get something relatively affordable, that I can do it all on my own.

Most people have accused me of wanting to move out to California to be an actress or whatnot. I just want to start over and living in California has been something I've wanted to do for monthe. I'm really dead set on moving and I've researched quite a bit on where I want to live, and Sacramento is where I've chosen. Please don't give me negative answers or tell me I can't do it because I know I can...

Thanks for the help guys. After my first post I thought I would be clearer about what I was wanting to know before I potentially moved there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 10:29 PM

61 posts, read 106,399 times
It sounds like you'll do fine - sounds like you are willing to work and have a degree that could hopefully be put to use sometime soon. Also Sacramento may be a little bit less dog-eat-dog than the other larger California cities - Im not going to say its the simple life but its usually less of a struggle to live here than say someplace like San Francisco / LA.

From what I read of your situation try to find just a room to rent around Midtown (Downtown Sac), then look for a service job at one of the food joints around town to get some money flowing your way and then figure out in the long term how to swing your bachelors into something entry level.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:40 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
If you're getting your Bachelor's degree you should set your sights a little higher than fast food! Not that there's anything wrong with slinging burgers for a living, but you should have other options. The state of California is Sacramento's biggest employer, while the tests can be a bit Byzantine, a college grad shouldn't have much trouble getting on the list for entry level state positions, like an "office tech" or "office assistant", or even the list for "Staff Services Analyst" or other entry-level professional jobs. There are also a lot of small businesses and startups that an ambitious young person with office skills could get into.

Midtown is where it's at in terms of lots of things to do and lots of jobs, but it's not cheap. No gangs worth mentioning in Sacramento's downtown/midtown neighborhoods. If you hunt you can find studio apartments for around $700. Minimum wage in California is $10 per hour. There aren't many fast food places (mostly Subway/Quizno's sandwich spots) but a lot of food service/restaurant/bar places where you can get a quick job while you're looking for something a bit more rewarding. What are you studying in college? Your major, of course, will help drive your job search.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:08 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,163 times
As long as you stay away from poorer neighborhoods, especially at night; you should be alright. Not saying that all poor neighborhood are infested with gangs but let's not kid ourselves and pretend it doesn't exist. Gang members tend to be from poorer class, which equals poorer neighborhoods. I grew up with these people and let me tell you, my friends that were in gangs....Their parents weren't doctors and lawyers living in million dollar homes. Honestly, if you are white, gangs usually ignores you unless they want to rob you. Most gang members are minorities and they spend most of their times beating and killing each other, that's the sad truth.

As long as you don't associate yourself with bad people and put yourself in bad situation, chances of meeting gang members are slim. And if you do come across them, just stay away from them. Use common sense. If your gut tells you to cross the street, do so. Who gives an ape crap if people's feelings gets hurt. Better to hurt someone's feelings and be alive than taking a chance and making the wrong choice. This is coming from someone who grew up with some not very nice people.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmybear45 View Post
I posted a thread about this earlier but I thought I should ask again and bring up more issues that I'm worrying about...

I'm not sure when I'll move. Hopefully soon. Sacramento is where I for sure want to move. I had thoughts about LA but there's no way I will be able to live there in the expensive apartments and be able to get around anywhere due to all the traffic congestion.

I am in college right now getting my bachelors....my parents suggest I wait until after I get it to move but I really can't wait that much longer. I am doing classes online and getting very good grades (along with having a job) so it wouldn't be much of a hassle to move for me due to the flexibility of school.

I work at McDonald's now but I was thinking of working at maybe In N' Out or another area of work, such as a store or something. In your opinions, what are the best jobs that I could best do? I'm almost 22 and have worked a variety of jobs so I'm really willing to do pretty much anything. I'm from Iowa so I'm sure the wages are higher than 7.25/hr. (then again it also doesn't cost much to live where I'm from either).

What's the amount of gang activity there? Thats one thing I'm worried about also. I know that if I just stay to myself they should leave me alone but I want to make sure I'm living in an area where I feel safe. In your opinions, where are the worst areas of Sacramento that I should try and avoid? I know I can look this up but I'd like opinions too.

I'm really nervous about moving. I feel like I'm going to fail (not just in Sacramento, but everywhere). I'm trying to find a roommate to help with the costs, but I feel like if I can get something relatively affordable, that I can do it all on my own.

Most people have accused me of wanting to move out to California to be an actress or whatnot. I just want to start over and living in California has been something I've wanted to do for monthe. I'm really dead set on moving and I've researched quite a bit on where I want to live, and Sacramento is where I've chosen. Please don't give me negative answers or tell me I can't do it because I know I can...

Thanks for the help guys. After my first post I thought I would be clearer about what I was wanting to know before I potentially moved there.
Are you attending a private college online? Because if you need to go to a public college in California it would be a year before you could qualify for in state tuition. As far as where to live, I would avoid South Sacramento, look for an apartment around Carmichael or Fair Oaks, Citrus Heights or near American River college, those are all safe areas, maybe a little boring and suburban but safe.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:40 AM

175 posts, read 250,418 times
Hi, and I'm a generation X male with a big SUV, but if there is one city I fear in California, it is Sacramento

If you're from a small town in the Midwest, and don't know Californias severe crime and gang problems, then stick to the suburbs around Sacramento.

You might research Folsom, a delightful gold rush town with a historic and safe downtown and outdoor malls. It's full of Midwest transplants. The apartments are very safe. Also nearby El dorado Hills where I met some folks from Illinois.

Live in the suburbs, and start exploring the more sketchy areas such as midtown. Definitely don't live there first as a newbie and as a female.

Also consider living in the college town of Davis. It is very safe and fun to meet young people from all over the world.

Or, the college town of Chico, but it is kind of sketchy since the previous city councilors, recently ousted, kept firing police officers. It should get better there.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:58 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolerance999 View Post
Hi, and I'm a generation X male with a big SUV, but if there is one city I fear in California, it is Sacramento

If you're from a small town in the Midwest, and don't know Californias severe crime and gang problems, then stick to the suburbs around Sacramento.
That's kind a weird. Sacramento is scarier than LA or San Francisco?

I'm from a rural central California community, and I found moving to Sacramento kind of overwhelming grew up in LA as a child, but spent many years in the CSJV) but nothing that wasnt overcomable. I've been to nearly every neighborhood/ business park in the Sacto region.

There really is no need to move to the suburbs. I roomed with a gal in East Sac when I first moved to town. It was the best location as all freeway travel was a reverse commute. Plus, I could walk everywhere, even at night. I sometimes walked to my job in midtown, a mere 2 miles away.

From what I gather OP, you'll be continuing your college classes online, correct? so it really doesnt matter where you live. However, I would think you might want to live near other like minded/aged students? IF so, I think the suggestion of midtown, or near Sac State is good, including River Park, La Riviera, possibly Rosemont. There's a lot of student apartments near Fair Oaks Blvd & Howe, although that area is probably not has happening with bars & other events as midtown.

As for gangs, I suggest avoiding South Sac/Meadowview, South Natomas/No Sac and parts of No Highlands. Possibly Oak Park also. You really should drive through these areas to make sure they look ok to you before you actually sign the lease.

Also, I dont see a budget, but if you are working for $9-11/hour, I do not think you will be able to afford the average entry apartment price of $1300 in a place like Folsom, unless you get a roommate.

In & Out is located all over Sacramento County, if that's your target employer. Restaurant Locations - In-N-Out Burger

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolerance999 View Post
Hi, and I'm a generation X male with a big SUV, but if there is one city I fear in California, it is Sacramento If you're from a small town in the Midwest, and don't know Californias severe crime and gang problems, then stick to the suburbs around Sacramento. You might research Folsom, a delightful gold rush town with a historic and safe downtown and outdoor malls. It's full of Midwest transplants. The apartments are very safe. Also nearby El dorado Hills where I met some folks from Illinois.
Live in the suburbs, and start exploring the more sketchy areas such as midtown. Definitely don't live there first as a newbie and as a female.
Also consider living in the college town of Davis. It is very safe and fun to meet young people from all over the world.
Or, the college town of Chico, but it is kind of sketchy since the previous city councilors, recently ousted, kept firing police officers. It should get better there.
THAT ^ makes me wonder when you were last in Sacramento. I live here and not in a real 'toney' neighborhood either. It's one of the safest places I've ever lived. We go to midtown quite often, it's very safe and clean- much safer than the downtown areas of most metropolitan areas. The only places I would consider even marginally dangerous would be South Sac, North Highlands, & Del Paso.

I also wonder what the relevance is of mentioning your big SUV?

Old 01-08-2016, 07:53 AM

And here are some crime statistics for the Sacramento area:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...ost-crime.html

Old 01-08-2016, 01:35 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Not sure what owning a big SUV has to do with one's tolerance for fear, but yeah, I'm going to disagree with Tolerance999 too, speaking as a Generation X male with a beat-up station wagon that's older than emmybear45. Folsom is splendid if you're really into big SUVs and quiet subdivisions, but it's not much cheaper than Midtown, which also has plenty of Midwest transplants. One of my neighbors moved here from Omaha, Nebraska and is having a lot of success as a professional graphic designer.

I'm originally from the Midwest and when I went home to visit people had plenty of assumptions about California, surfing, movie stars, rampant crime etcetera, but the Hollywood image of California is about as off-base as the Hollywood image of the Midwest. If anything, Sacramento is sometimes described as having a Midwestern feel, because of our location at the hub of two enormous agricultural valleys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento