Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:33 PM

173 posts, read 656,368 times

Advertisements

Economy good? Less crimes? More diverse culture? Cost of living? Quality of life? Less pollution? Public Eduction? Your opnions are welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 12:33 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,352,625 times
where are you coming from? cant say if something is less or more without that...

Old 02-20-2008, 05:33 PM

173 posts, read 656,368 times
I live in Phoenix.Arizona

Old 02-20-2008, 06:39 PM

111 posts, read 466,787 times
There isnt much to praise here...no ocean....everyone is very small/old fashion minded.....NO nitelife (cept on the weekends) rent is cheap compared to la and sf... mortgage is whatever you choose. everything from 200,000 in the ghetto to a million+ in granite bay. Sac is pretty much like every other city in ca when it comes to crime and traffic. horrible. sac isnt too diverse. quality of life is great considering i only pay 500 for my part of rent. not the best CA city to live in, but not the worst either. You get what you pay for pretty much...

Old 02-20-2008, 07:40 PM

32 posts, read 110,743 times
Wow, I'll be there in nine days. Can't wait! Seems like this place will suit me just fine. "no ocean" it's close enough for me, I'm a bit afraid of it, won't swim in it but love to go on watch watches. "no nitelife" once again, good for me, I'm in my 40's and an empty nester, no need for that. My idea of fun is playing rock band. Rent is pretty comparible to the better neighborhoods of Pittsburgh. I pay 720 now for a two bedroom duplex with no utilities included and am moving into a 950 all utilites included. Granted there is no garage and it's a much smaller place but I can deal with that as a trade off to a nice safe neighborhood (Winters) and no snow to drive in. "horrible traffic" scares me a little but have you seen how Pittsburgh natives drive in snow and/or rain? I know the cost of living is said to be so much higher but my paycheck just went up an additional 700 a month. I hope that is enough. I do hope someone answers a question for me. Every three to five years in Pittsburgh PA you are forced to seek new employment due to layoffs (okay not everyone) but those that aren't working in healthcare or education. Is Sac that way also?

Old 02-20-2008, 07:43 PM

775 posts, read 580,308 times
IMO Pittsburgh is a more interesting city than Sacramento. It's kind of a nothing place, Sacramento.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 PM

16 posts, read 57,630 times
Sac itself isn't all that exciting, but it's close to lots of fun stuff: Tahoe, San Fran, Napa, and a little further Yosemite, you'll have plenty of fun on the weekends.

Regarding your layoffs question - I don't know what industry you are in, but in general I would say no, you don't see that here. Now is not the time to work for the state, city of Sac or mortgage companies, of course...

Old 02-20-2008, 08:24 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,247,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceJohn View Post
Economy good? Less crimes? More diverse culture? Cost of living? Quality of life? Less pollution? Public Eduction? Your opnions are welcomed.
Overall economy is decent from a jobs perspective. Crime is about average for a city this size, it seems as safe as Kansas City and Columbus Ohio, two places of comparable size I have lived in prior to coming out to California (it has good areas and bad, and some gang activity). Diversity is very high here, and the cultures appear to intermingle very well based upon my daily observations. Very little cultural tension here.

Cost of living is getting pretty reasonable as housing settles down at a lower price point than a couple of years ago. Quality of life is always a matter of what you like, but the place has a lot of variety for differing life styles and ages. Air quality is good in the winter months and fairly poor during the summertime. The further west you go the better the air quality. Public education is about big city standard, decent schools in many of the suburbs and some in the closer in areas too.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:26 PM

56 posts, read 98,859 times
I am always happy when I visit Sacramento. There are better places in the U.S., but Sac has quite a bit to see and do. Walking around Old Sac is always fun, you can tour the capital building, and do other things. It's a good place to be, IMO. Not the best, but good.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:31 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,901 times
We are trying to relocate from the Chicago area and after more than 50 inches of snow this season and crazy, cold temperatures we are ready to leave. Although Sac doesn't have as many amenities as Chicago, Sac is as others noted close to SF, Tahoe (in case we miss the snow), wine country, Monteray, etc. We expect to increase our outdoor activities and banish seasonal affective disorder (can't deal with the long stretch of gray days) by moving out West. Sac is also a very affordable place to live. As for traffic - we live 24 miles from downtown Chicago and rush hour is like a parking lot - it can take 1 1/5 - 2 hours to get downtown. Because of the hassel of going downtown we rarely go. Although it's a great city and we will miss having so much to do so close by, we are willing to give it up for better weather and a lower cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento