Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 12:53 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
What makes Sacramento unique? I would definitely say the setting, the history, and being a state capitol all contribute to an interesting mix of cut throat politics and small town charm. It's as if Washington DC and Mayberry USA had a baby.
And the baby got addicted to meth when it grew up.

SacraMENTAL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 09:08 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
And the baby got addicted to meth when it grew up.

SacraMENTAL.
Sad but true. That's the Mayberry / Middle American part of it, and it's reflective of our American drug epidemic. The politicians prefer different substances...

Old 09-14-2018, 12:35 AM

6,907 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Don't put much stock into what WizardO says as he doesn't even live in Sacramento as far as I know. Yet, he is sort of obsessed with Sacramento always commenting about Sacramento while not even living here.

You can get alot of bang for your buck in Sacramento; 4 times more than SF, and 3 times more than LA.

Sacramento has a California culture, specifically Northern Californian. If I really want something different, non-Californian, I do what a lot of other Californians do, I travel to other cities outside of California like the East Coast, including international destinations: Asia-Pacific, and Europe.

Just got back from Asia and planning a return to trip southeast Asia. I mention this because, Sacramentans in general are a well-traveled bunch.

Last edited by Chimérique; 09-14-2018 at 12:57 AM..

Old 09-14-2018, 09:12 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,105 times
Quote:
Oh my goodness, what a victim mentality that you defend by making false generalizations about people that make you uncomfortable. Truth is, there are plenty of gay people going to church and synagogue every weekend. They go to worship and to become better people who contribute to the world around them. They probably don't go to your church, though, since your church appears to attract people who wouldn't want them there. So you may not realize how many gay people are coming in fact, religious.

I'm still wondering what an 'alternative lifestyle' is. That term has been thrown around for decades, usually as a warning to society of the Doom and Gloom that would surely occur if we treated gays and lesbians like normal human beings. And despite those warnings of opening the floodgates to bestiality and pedophilia with every civil right given to them, gay people have fought simply for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness: a home, a job, a spouse, kids, and to serve their country. They are embracing the very same desires and values that all humans share and deserve, and the same ones that you probably espouse. But some people such as yourself steadfastly define them with terms like 'alternative lifestyles.' I might suggest that yours is in fact an alternative lifestyle, because it is one of contradictions and falsehoods: projecting religious and political beliefs onto people you've never met, insulting their marriages by comparing them to inanimate objects, painting yourself as a victim of imagined attacks by those very people you insult, and denigrating those who simply want to make a good life for themselves and others, all in the name of 'conservative Christianity.' Most of us would see your actions and statements as hypocrisy rather than morality. If you tell people how much better you are than they, how much more pious you are than they, without knowing them at all, then don't be surprised when they don't respond well. Trust me, the backlash you've experienced has nothing to do with anti religious sentiment and everything to do with your attitude.

I'm not trying to be rude or harsh, but I am being blunt in hopes that you'll allow yourself to be self critical in how you express your views and to hopefully engage in civil conversation with people you don't like.
This is so perfect I had to requote it all! Thank you, tstieber!

Old 09-15-2018, 09:06 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
There really is no difference between Sacramento culture vs. the culture of LA, or San Fran, or Seattle, or Anywhere West of the Rockies, for that matter.

There's really surprisingly little variation in The West. Now you go to the South and even within the same state like Alabama or South Carolina and you'll see huge differences in culture, cuisine and accent. Not so much in The West.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:45 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
There really is no difference between Sacramento culture vs. the culture of LA, or San Fran, or Seattle, or Anywhere West of the Rockies, for that matter.

There's really surprisingly little variation in The West. Now you go to the South and even within the same state like Alabama or South Carolina and you'll see huge differences in culture, cuisine and accent. Not so much in The West.
Maybe 30 years ago, there were more Regional differences in the west. But I agree that these days, most of the larger cities in the West have pretty similar Urban culture. In fact, it's amazing how many Regional retail and restaurant Concepts are found throughout California. SoCal gets the NorCal Concepts, NorCal gets the SoCal Concepts. Even down here in San Diego, I could get a sandwich from Ike's or boudin and chase it with a cup of Sightglass or Philz coffee if I wanted to. And I could get a beer from Ballast Point or Mexican food from Puesto in the Bay Area. And people pretty much dress and act the same throughout the West.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:55 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passp1994 View Post
The crime, while some might thing otherwise, isnt that high. Next door in Stockton, yes, its high. But Sac and its suburbs is actually a quiet place. Very reserved area compared to SF, LA...and other major parts of California.
Meanwhile, San Francisco has a higher crime rate than you'd think. Higher than Sacramento, higher than Los Angeles, etc.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:37 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Yes, exactly.

"Pro-President" indeed does not fly here. I got thrown out of our local Neighborhood Watch after the election because the admin said that I didn't "fully understand the pain being experienced by the Democrats." Pffft.

As long as you either hate the president or pretend to, you do fine in Sacramento. But respect the office and the remember that half the country voted for him? Act, outwardly, like you love the country? You must be racist.

So far since the election I've been called racist, a white supremacist, a Nazi and some guy in Davis said "I needed to be dead."

Yep. Sacramento is a hot-bed of non-judgmental, open-to-everyone thinking. As long as you think/believe in the "correct" things.

Meh.
First, most Americans actually do respect the Office of the Presidency which is why they are so outraged over the odious troll who currently occupies it (hopefully not for much longer) and who degrades it hourly by his very presence.

Second, less than half of the voters voted for the unindicted co-conspirator-in-chief but the majority of voters voted for Hillary Clinton.

Yeah, I know, the truth hurts but you need to accept it.

Lastly, I do not believe you because I find it incredulous that random strangers just spontaneously approached you and called you a racist, a white supremacist, a Nazi, etc. without cause or provocation.

So, why don't you tell us the full verbal exchange and any accompanying gestures that precipitated you "allegedly" having insults hurled at you?

Last edited by phlinak; 09-18-2018 at 12:48 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 10:52 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
First, most Americans actually do respect the Office of the Presidency which is why they are so outraged over the odious troll who currently occupies it (hopefully not for much longer) and who degrades it hourly by his very presence.

Second, less than half of the voters voted for the unindicted co-conspirator-in-chief but the majority of voters voted for Hillary Clinton.

Yeah, I know, the truth hurts but you need to accept it.

Lastly, I do not believe you because I find it incredulous that random strangers just spontaneously approached you and called you a racist, a white supremacist, a Nazi, etc. without cause or provocation.

So, why don't you tell us the full verbal exchange and any accompanying gestures that precipitated you "allegedly" having insults hurled at you?
Well said, phlinak. There is a lot more to this than what cb73 is telling us.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:26 AM

381 posts, read 344,792 times
Quote:
Maybe 30 years ago, there were more Regional differences in the west. But I agree that these days, most of the larger cities in the West have pretty similar Urban culture. In fact, it's amazing how many Regional retail and restaurant Concepts are found throughout California. SoCal gets the NorCal Concepts, NorCal gets the SoCal Concepts. Even down here in San Diego, I could get a sandwich from Ike's or boudin and chase it with a cup of Sightglass or Philz coffee if I wanted to. And I could get a beer from Ballast Point or Mexican food from Puesto in the Bay Area. And people pretty much dress and act the same throughout the West.
This part I somewhat disagree with. Being from SoCal I always thought a lot of the people up north have a more granola-ish dress to them (more people wearing teva-type shoes, walking shoes/hiking boots, fleeces, etc). This is noticeable in the Bay Area and especially as you move up to Portland and Seattle (I really can't speak for Sacramento...this may not be the case there). When I travel up north everyone always seems a bit more "practical" with their clothing options (the impolite term would be frumpy). Certainly the climate is a factor, but people on the east coast dress for cold, but look more polished while doing so. Not to get too far off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento