Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:32 PM

762 posts, read 2,031,272 times

Advertisements

Only condolences. Im sure you will be in the nice part of oak park though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 01:23 AM

1 posts, read 763 times
Its a great place to live. Ive been here 8 years no problems. Back in the 70's - 80's it was real bad(was here 77-81). And yes Cutus park Tahoe park Hollywood park, etc. are great also.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:52 PM

264 posts, read 413,993 times
What's your budget? Where will you be working? Kids/schools a factor?

N. Oak Park is getting much better (some shady areas); the rest of Oak Park not so much.

Consult this map -- http://placerluxuryproperties.com/wp...1/Picture1.jpg

Here's a recap in another Oak Park thread re the area around Med Ctr/Oak Park:

Quote:
So let's define these boundaries and discuss the neighborhoods:

North Oak Park (N: Y St, S: Broadway, W: CA99, E: Stockton) - west by southwest of UCDMC, this area is quite possibly the most "diverse" and interesting in all of Sac, mixed bag of drug dealers, yuppies, rednecks, young hipsters, old hippies, bikers, all LGBTQI spectrums, all races and creeds. The overall area has been progressively getting "nicer" and is no longer per se unsafe. However, because of the denser rental units / affordable housing in the duplexes and multiunits sprinked in here (which will not go away) -- noise, petty theft, drugs, etc. can be a problem. Also for example, 3rd Ave & Stockton has a needle exchange building and a lot of addicts come in and out. The area by Sac Charter High School, and particularly Y-street, has a lot of through-traffic and cars blowing stop signs taking a short cut. There is also definitely more transient / homeless population at the intersection of Broadway & Stockton compared to other parts of the city (i.e. in front of that Walgreens and Food Source) -- this hasn't changed in the past few years. I used to rent on Y street (between NOP and Med Ctr) and 4 houses down one way was a meth den, 5 houses the other way was a weed dealer. However, gang and violent activity is now almost nonexistent (compared to say 3 years ago).

Med Ctr (N: I50, S: Y St, W: CA99, E: Stockton) - west by northwest of UCDMC, this area was really partitioned off from NOP, a work of savvy realtors and smart marketing, and houses here are generally sold at a premium. However, Med Ctr houses are not overall really much nicer, nor does it have a disproportionate amount of UCDMC staff, say compared to Elmhurst or Tahoe Park. Each neighborhood can vary a lot street by street. The nicest streets in Med Ctr are on 41st, 42nd, San Jose, Colonial Way, and Sherman Way. I believe some of these streets were original Wright & Kimbrough lots (Sac's preeminent real estate developers, most well known for the fab 40s), and you can tell by the uniform lot sizes and copper light poles that were set in before the city was incorporated. The houses too close to the highway, you should probably avoid, noise & pollution. The pros of Med Ctr and NOP is that you may be lucky and find a double lot (that large yard you're looking for), whereas the other areas are mostly uniform tracks.

Oak Park (N: Broadway, S: 12th/14th, W: CA 99, E: Stockton) - southwest of UCDMC, this is the area where McClatchy Park is, and is considered Oak Park or Central Oak Park. The pocket of "nice" is over west by McGeorge law school / west of McClatchy. The rest not so much, but homes here can be found in the 100-250k range. I don't think this was the area you were considering.

W. Tahoe Park (N: Broadway, S: 14th, W: Stockton, E: 53rd) - south of UCDMC, this area is still walkable, though a few mins farther compared to NOP and Med Ctr. This neighborhood is primarily single family homes (a few multiunits/rentals in the alleys, but far fewer than NOP). 7th and 8th are two of the nicest streets (used to be called Boulevard Terrace, another original W&K lot). A few homes came and went in this area very quickly over the past few months. I would recommend that you consider this, as it feels like a nicer environment, and you can still find some good values here; however, downside is the school district is not as well rated.

Elmhurst (N: I50, S: V St; W: Stockton, E: 57th) - this area has always been nice, and I think houses a high population of UCDMC staff/residents, etc. However, it is generally ~$100k higher than W. Tahoe Park / NOP. I think the pricing here has been very saturated, even during the recession, and not a lot of value can be found here, but a few fixers do pop up now and then which you might want to consider.

Other neighborhoods... I wouldn't go east of UCDMC to Fairgrounds, as there is no through street to get to campus, you'd have to go all the way around either Broadway or V st. Same with Tahoe Park / E. Tahoe Park, may be bikeable, but not walkable.

If you want amenities relative to LA (walk to shops, bars, etc.), you'd have to look to Midtown, which is farther (just east of downtown), more expensive, and ~3000 sq ft lot sizes standard. I wouldn't consider NOP to have real amenities, there is Old Soul Coffee, Oak Bark Brewing, a dry cleaner, tire shop, nursery, and auto shop... and that's about it. You'd have to consider what's more important, walking to amenities, or walking to work. By the way, Midtown is just a $5 Uber ride away.

If elementary school is a strong consideration now, the best schools are in Land Park (Crocker Elementary) and East Sac (Phoebe Hearst Elementary), but the starting range at both places would probably be $400k+. But I think David Lubin is also a good school, and covers most of NOP (north of 4th ave), Med Ctr, Elmhurst, as well as the "thrifty thirties" part of E. Sac. https://www.redfin.com/school/117576...mentary-School

Houses are pretty slim pickings right now though -- https://www.redfin.com/city/16409/CA...229:-121.47521

Old 07-16-2016, 04:27 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
The triangle aka med center area is where the epicenter of gentrification is. Lot's of med students and wokrers who want to near UC Davis Med Center.

From there is spreads out towards North Oak Park, particularly north towards Alahambra.

The rest of Oak Park is dicey and very much a block by block, street by street, house by house, hit or miss area. The southern parts of Oak Park are hardcore ghetto. And it looks just like the ghettos of Stocktonia.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:38 PM

136 posts, read 211,522 times
Quote:
The triangle aka med center area is where the epicenter of gentrification is. Lot's of med students and wokrers who want to near UC Davis Med Center.

The rest of Oak Park is dicey and very much a block by block, street by street, house by house, hit or miss area. The southern parts of Oak Park are hardcore ghetto. And it looks just like the ghettos of Stocktonia.
Actually all of the improvements and gentrification have occurred in central and north oak park, not the med center. Your description is over 10 years out of date. You probably shouldn't bother chiming on topics you're so unfamiliar with.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:22 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay West View Post
Actually all of the improvements and gentrification have occurred in central and north oak park, not the med center. Your description is over 10 years out of date. You probably shouldn't bother chiming on topics you're so unfamiliar with.
Uhhh no. The triangle was not even a thing 10 years ago. The med center area is the epicenter of Oak Park gentrification. It is where the high value property is and the only part where front yard fences are rare.

You don't have to go more than several blocks south of Sac High to get an idea that gentrification is a slow moving process in Oak Park.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:20 PM

264 posts, read 413,993 times
I've rented and bought a house in this general area throughout the past 3 years.

Some streets of Med Ctr have been nice for a long time, and are also difficult to buy into, i.e. the old W&K lots, the streets closer to campus such as 42nd, 41st, San Jose Way, Sherman. These areas maintained value even during the recession, due to rentability and walkability to the med. campus, and the general attractiveness of these streets. However, Y street still has some old dilapidated properties and is a through street, the area immediately adjacent to the highway is also difficult to sell due to noise/pollution. (Map: http://statisticalatlas.com/neighbor...enter/Overview)

When people talk about gentrification in the last year or two (a drastic change from shabby to hip), they are talking about from Y street down to Broadway, but particularly the little pocket @ 35th and Broadway, where new shops have been going in and new condos have been selling off. Sacramento Bee Article..

The area north of Broadway and south of Y is North Oak Park, this is the hot housing market referred to in recent years, now going upwards to the 300-400k range, depends on how well the rehab has been done. http://sacramentoappraisalblog.com/2...n-in-oak-park/. This is the area most people refer to when they are speaking of gentrification in Oak Park today.

The area south of Broadway is Oak Park proper, besides the few streets next to McClatchy Park & McGeorge law school, most of this area still average homes in the 100-200k.

It is a slow moving process, and came to a halt during the '08-13 recessionary period, but has since then steadily come around. There are grandfathered in multiunits and Sec 8 housing all through this area, so even if some pockets are becoming nice, there will always been some degree of wildcards thrown in.

These neighborhoods in Sac are unique, in that you can find a very nice couple of streets in a relatively poor area, but conversely also some poorer streets/buildings/tenants in what's an overall nice area. Nothing beats walking/biking up and down the street you intend to live at, both during the day and at night, to get an accurate feel.

Last edited by xenxes; 07-17-2016 at 11:35 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 12:27 PM

136 posts, read 211,522 times
Quote:
You've must have a death wish if you want to live in the O.P. Luckily, the coroner's office and a few decent cemeteries are nearby, so from shotgun death to burial is quick and easy. Just ask those who get stabbed, shot, and jumped in that area all the time. It's no up-and-coming area by far. Once you take your evening stroll on 12th Avenue and you're being followed by large, unfriendly groups, then yeah....you had it coming, thanks to your poor choices.
i get the feeling that there's a contingent of losers who grew up in OP in the 1980's who bag on it because it sucked when they lived there and they never did anything with their lives. There's not much else to explain posts like the above new sock puppet account with '1977' in the username.

Or maybe a few activists think they can scare the gentrification away. Way too late for that folks. The 2/1 800 sqft bungalows sell in the mid $200s in the less desirable parts of OP. Might as well head over to DPH, you'll still fit in there.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:22 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacraNative1977 View Post
You've must have a death wish if you want to live in the O.P. Luckily, the coroner's office and a few decent cemeteries are nearby, so from shotgun death to burial is quick and easy. Just ask those who get stabbed, shot, and jumped in that area all the time. It's no up-and-coming area by far. Once you take your evening stroll on 12th Avenue and you're being followed by large, unfriendly groups, then yeah....you had it coming, thanks to your poor choices.
The 1980's want their post back.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:30 AM

24 posts, read 43,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Uhhh no. The triangle was not even a thing 10 years ago. The med center area is the epicenter of Oak Park gentrification. It is where the high value property is and the only part where front yard fences are rare.

You don't have to go more than several blocks south of Sac High to get an idea that gentrification is a slow moving process in Oak Park.
honestly, I dont advocate gentrification. it really just pushes minorities who cant afford the cost of living elsewhere. look at the mission district in San Francisco. you can pretty much make the observation that whites have sucked up the decades of latino culture to make room for bakeries and coffee shops.

hell, same for Portland Oregon. when I went to school at Sabin elementary in 2003, the school was for all intents and purposes mostly african american, while the white kids went to Irvington. the neighborhood was also primarily african american... last year, when I went to Portland to visit my family and help out with my uncles scrap business, that whole area is white. my grandparents are the ONLY African american family on the block thanks to gentrification. None of the people I went to school with live there anymore nor do any of their families. Gresham took the brunt of the minorities who were pushed out of North East Portland due to gentrification. which is why Crime there is fairly high.

Black in Portland | History | Portland Monthly
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...gentrification

which brings up another point, all Gentrification does is push the crime elsewhere. Like a kid pushing their toys under the bed instead of picking them up and putting them in the toy box. It does not solve the problem, just sweeps it under the rug and causes more dislocation among minorities. all the culture that gets built up in a certain area becomes lost forever... I know a lot of people found the mission district of San Francisco "desirable" due to the hispanic culture that was built up through decades of poverty and struggle. Culture which does not exist anymore, and for what? Just so hipsters can have their bike shops and cupcakes...

but hey, colored folk are criminals with their big gold grills and loud speakers in their jalopies with gigantic rims. Does't matter if that was a culture they created from nothing but centuries of abuse and relocation. just push them out of their homes to make it more desirable for rich white people to raise their families. right?

Last edited by Ss4gogeta0; 07-27-2016 at 05:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento