Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 02:10 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,275,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
But within a 2 to 3 hour drive you can be at the beach, mountains, another State, a variety of cities with a lot to do if in Raleigh.

Being 2 hours from more interesting places (including everything on that list) is basically the most common talking point for Sacramento. Even though, as others have made clear, there's plenty to do within Sacramento itself if you know where it is (and the most common critiques are by people who just seem to not know where things is, resulting in frequent calls to add civic amenities that we have had for decades), that same list (within 2-3 hours of beach, mountains, another state & cities with a lot to do) applies to Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 03:07 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,278,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
Phoenix has more to do in the city metro itself, but that's it. There's nowhere else really to go. Sacramento is surrounded by amazing places to visit with 2-3 hours. Napa, San Fran, Ocean, Monterey, Tahoe, etc. etc.
Phoenix is only 1.5 hours from Tucscon and Saguaro National Park. Its only 1.5 hours from Sedona and 2 from Flagstaff / Grand Canyon. Let's not forget that you can drive to Vegas in about 4 hours.

I'd agree that Sacramento has MORE nearby, but let's be honest in the comparison. There are cool places near Phoenix for weekend getaways.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:54 PM

330 posts, read 432,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Phoenix is only 1.5 hours from Tucscon and Saguaro National Park. Its only 1.5 hours from Sedona and 2 from Flagstaff / Grand Canyon. Let's not forget that you can drive to Vegas in about 4 hours.

I'd agree that Sacramento has MORE nearby, but let's be honest in the comparison. There are cool places near Phoenix for weekend getaways.
Tucson? Flagstaff?

I mean they’re not really Monterey, Tahoe, Napa or San Francisco. The places you mention are spots you would visit once. Sacramento has better weather. Phoenix has more to do in the city itself when it’s not brutally and unbearably hot. There are much worse places than Phoenix though. Raleigh for example ;-)

Old 09-04-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
a variety of cities with a lot to do if in Raleigh.
Within 5 hours of Raleigh you can get to...... Charlotte (about 3 hours). A place that makes Raleigh look exciting. When you’re in Raleigh you wouldn’t know there’s a city there until you’re standing on top of it.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:44 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,112 times
This is too funny. I live in Phoenix but I lived in Sacramento for 20+ years. I feel like I'm an expert in both cities. If you have specific questions, shoot me a DM.

But as far as the weather, Sacramento is colder during the winter and also the summer. Phoenix gets oppressively hot during the summer months. It does get cool during a small part of summer.......when it gets humid before the monsoons hit. Oh yea, it does not cool off very much at night time.

It depends on your tolerance of heat but I would say that the hot seasons are between May and October. The other months are quite pleasant.

As far as outdoor activities for Phoenix, you can enjoy those 365 days of the year. Difference is that you will have to get done with those activities by 8 or 9am before it gets really hot. Or you can wait until 7:30-8:00 to go outside.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:41 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,489 times
It's not just the summer weather in Phoenix vs. Sacramento, for me it's the ability to escape it easily. Sacramento might have a terribly hot week or two, but you can do a day trip towards a variety of coastal areas (not even have to deal with the Bay Area) or head east towards the Lake.

Arizonans love to take over San Diego in the summer, but it's a good five hours drive and you go through 3-4 very slow border checkpoints on the 8. It gets annoying very quickly.

I do love how Phoenix comes alive at sunset after a hot day. Every restaurant puts on the misters and people come out of their homes. I would hate to have to work in the summer in Phoenix.

Old 12-21-2020, 02:45 AM

124 posts, read 110,338 times
Sacramento doesn't have many jobs. Most people in Nor-Cal live in the Bay Area or commute to the bay area. I think Phoenix would be better in regards to jobs and more to do. Sacramento weather is never as hot as phoenix. Sac gets to about 100-105 F during the summer but usually not more than that. It is not extreme like phoenix. Winter is sac is cold and rainy but there is no snow.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:27 AM

“Winter is sac is cold and rainy but there is no snow.”

Compared to Phoenix it’s colder and there is more rain. Describing it as cold and rainy is completely wrong. It rains like once every 7 days. It regularly gets into the 60’s in December and January. 70’s in February. Winters are mild and dry.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:23 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
“Winter is sac is cold and rainy but there is no snow.”

Compared to Phoenix it’s colder and there is more rain. Describing it as cold and rainy is completely wrong. It rains like once every 7 days. It regularly gets into the 60’s in December and January. 70’s in February. Winters are mild and dry.
I almost don't even want to reply to most of these post as I think the majority of people who post don't actually live here. Describing Sacramento winters as cold and rainy? LOL. Compared to what?

Old 12-21-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I almost don't even want to reply to most of these post as I think the majority of people who post don't actually live here. Describing Sacramento winters as cold and rainy? LOL. Compared to what?
Exactly, they select like one of the very very few places in the country that are warmer than Sac in the Winter. Almost all of which have significantly crappier weather the rest of the time. Outside of LA, San Diego and maybe San Jose we have the best weather in the lower 48.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento