Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 11:52 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I almost don't even want to reply to most of these post as I think the majority of people who post don't actually live here. Describing Sacramento winters as cold and rainy? LOL. Compared to what?
Compared to Phoenix. Phoenix is 80 and sunny a significant part of the winter. I lived there a couple years for grad school and absolutely loved the winter weather. Sure, the summers are rough but the winters make up for it. Not saying Sacramento has harsh winters, but Phoenix's are nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 11:53 AM

189 posts, read 195,679 times
One of the main reasons we're thinking about Sacramento (and not really considering Phoenix) is the ability to escape the few oppressively hot days by taking a day trip into the mountains/higher elevation or down into the Bay Area.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:03 PM

330 posts, read 431,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Compared to Phoenix. Phoenix is 80 and sunny a significant part of the winter. I lived there a couple years for grad school and absolutely loved the winter weather. Sure, the summers are rough but the winters make up for it. Not saying Sacramento has harsh winters, but Phoenix's are nicer.
Phoenx:

November Avg High Temp: 75F
December Avg High Temp: 66F
January Avg High Temp: 67F
February Avg High Temp: 70F

I mean it's nice but it's not 80!!!

Old 12-21-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
Phoenx:

November Avg High Temp: 75F
December Avg High Temp: 66F
January Avg High Temp: 67F
February Avg High Temp: 70F

I mean it's nice but it's not 80!!!
Those are average temperatures, but there are plenty of days in the 80s there throughout.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:20 PM

Those are average HIGH temperatures. You are right though, Phoenix is great in the Winter. It has better weather than Sacramento at least 3-4 months of the year. That isn't bad, 99% of cities in the US barely have 1 month with better weather than Sac.

Old 12-21-2020, 02:28 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Overall, year round, Sacramento's weather is much nicer than Phoenix. Even in the fall and winter, Sacramento's weather is nicer than Phoenix. Sacramento has autumn colors and an autumn leaves.

In the west, we always complain about too much sun and too much heat; Sacramento's fall and winter definitely mitigate for that. Sacramento has a real fall compared to Phoenix and a real winter compared to Phoenix.

During a normal-average fall and winter I love the Sacramento rain; its nourishing and cleanses the landscape for a solid the 3 to 4 months. It's the reason why you can grow a real coast Redwood tree near your lemon tree in your Sacramento backyard and the Redwood grows to 100+ feet and lives for 100 years. (in Redwood country, those coast Redwoods grow to 250-350 feet and live 800-1,000 years) Of course, you can grow a giant Sequoia in your Sacramento backyard as well.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-21-2020 at 02:52 PM..

Old 12-21-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Overall, year round, Sacramento's weather is much nicer than Phoenix. Even in the fall and winter, Sacramento's weather is nicer than Phoenix.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your assertion. Its certainly not a harsh winter in Sac and the rainfall is welcomed. However, there's a reason why spring training is in AZ and FL (and not in NorCal) and why snowbirds from Canada and the Upper Midwest flock to those locations. They have just about the best weather in the US for 6 months of the year, but I do agree that Sacramento's summertime (along with late spring and early fall) is much more tolerable than Phoenix's.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your assertion. Its certainly not a harsh winter in Sac and the rainfall is welcomed. However, there's a reason why spring training is in AZ and FL (and not in NorCal) and why snowbirds from Canada and the Upper Midwest flock to those locations. They have just about the best weather in the US for 6 months of the year, but I do agree that Sacramento's summertime (along with late spring and early fall) is much more tolerable than Phoenix's.
You are right. Sacramento winters are mild, very mild, some say we don't really even have a winter. Sacramento winters are marginally colder than Phoenix, but a lot wetter, on average, which is a happy welcome. Sacramento doesn't need to suck water away from other states or parts of the country, if fact, we transport it to the rest of the state for their use.

I must say, I do understand why seniors prefer rainless, dry climates, all year round, but I know I would still hate it if Sacramento consistently had dry winters, or became a desert climate like Phoenix.

Years back, I think it was the 49ers and a few others teams that would do their spring training in the Sacramento area. They moved not so much for the weather, but because all the other teams and the "infrastructure" for spring training was headquartered to AZ.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:00 PM

I don't think being wetter than a desert really qualifies it as wet though. There are far wetter places. We've had 21 days in December so far and it's rained maybe 3 times? Like I said winters here are mild, sunny, and mostly dry compared to almost anywhere else.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
I don't think being wetter than a desert really qualifies it as wet though. There are far wetter places. We've had 21 days in December so far and it's rained maybe 3 times? Like I said winters here are mild, sunny, and mostly dry compared to almost anywhere else.
Yes, its been a very, very dry Nov and Dec so far, not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento