Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 03:12 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,275,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
LOL. Those are arbitrary city boundaries. It’s the metro area that everyone actually counts. That would be like saying Fresno is a bigger city than Atlanta and the 6 million people in its metro area. Fresno has less than half the population in its metro than Sacramento.

When did you last hear anyone outside of Fresno say “A big city like Fresno” :-D

I imagine you probably hear it in Clovis and other nearby small cities in their metro region.

Yes, Fresno has a smaller metro than Atlanta or Sacramento, but with a population of over half a million, it's still a fairly big city, in terms of geographic area and population, but with a relatively small metropolitan area of a million or so people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 03:33 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Overall, year round, Sacramento's weather is much nicer than Phoenix. Even in the fall and winter, Sacramento's weather is nicer than Phoenix. Sacramento has autumn colors and an autumn leaves.

In the west, we always complain about too much sun and too much heat; Sacramento's fall and winter definitely mitigate for that. Sacramento has a real fall compared to Phoenix and a real winter compared to Phoenix.

During a normal-average fall and winter I love the Sacramento rain; its nourishing and cleanses the landscape for a solid the 3 to 4 months. It's the reason why you can grow a real coast Redwood tree near your lemon tree in your Sacramento backyard and the Redwood grows to 100+ feet and lives for 100 years. (in Redwood country, those coast Redwoods grow to 250-350 feet and live 800-1,000 years) Of course, you can grow a giant Sequoia in your Sacramento backyard as well.
I've never lived in Phoenix, but I did live in Tucson (which has somewhat cooler summers than Phoenix, but still much hotter than Sacramento's). I've also lived in Sacramento. I think Sacramento has better weather, on average. Phoenix definitely beats Sacramento from November through March. But Sacramento is better the rest of the year.

Old 01-11-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
There is no Winter in Sacramento by any relative definition to 95% of the population of the country.
It's true. But if you expect warm and sunny weather, Sacramento is going to be a disappointment in that regard.

My sister lived in Sacramento for 4 years and moved back to Philadelphia. People at her work didn't believe her when she said that it's not really warm enough (for most people) to wear shorts and short sleeves in the winter in Sac.

Old 01-11-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
We’re about to get over a week of mid 60’s in early January. That’s not Winter for me.
But it's also above average. If you look at 30 year averages, typical high temps this time of year are in the low to mid 50s.

You can't base it on just a year or even a few years.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:17 PM

330 posts, read 432,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
But it's also above average. If you look at 30 year averages, typical high temps this time of year are in the low to mid 50s.

You can't base it on just a year or even a few years.
Those 30 year averages don't really stack up now though. I'd bet the last 10 years show higher average highs.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:37 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,302,099 times
Quote:
Yes it is. And its hottest and sunniest big city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
And Sacramento has the most distinctive of all 4 seasons of California's big cities.

Bakersfield, Fresno, Redding, and the Palm Springs area are by far way hotter than Sacramento.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I am pretty sure that Riverside and San Bernardino are also hotter than Sacramento.
Quote:
Guess you guys missed the “Big” in big cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
The City of Fresno has a larger population than the City of Sacramento. No matter how much you want to quibble on the merits, factually the claims you make have not held up.
Quote:
LOL. Those are arbitrary city boundaries. It’s the metro area that everyone actually counts. That would be like saying Fresno is a bigger city than Atlanta and the 6 million people in its metro area. Fresno has less than half the population in its metro than Sacramento.

When did you last hear anyone outside of Fresno say “A big city like Fresno” :-D
Instead of just admitting you are wrong when you are demonstrably wrong, you keep trying to change the goal posts. Fine I will play along.

If you want to use MSA rankings instead of city boundaries, then you are even more wrong. The Riverside- San Bernardino -Ontario MSA is the thirteenth largest MSA in the country with more than 4.5 million people. Its both significantly hotter and significantly larger than Sacramento-Roseville-Folsom MSA with almost 2.4 million people. Even with you repeatedly moving the goal posts in this argument, your argument still stays consistently wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas

Old 01-11-2021, 10:59 PM

Yeah. Those are just extended suburbs of LA. I used to live there. Very little difference in the summer in terms of how hot it gets compared with Sacramento. Again no one down there would refer to Riverside as a “big city”.

So my comments remain 100% accurate.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:03 PM

Actually compared to where I live now Riverside doesn’t get as hot in the summer. So you can place that right next to your argument on the shining metropolis of Fresno, the “Paris of Drive Past Country.”

Old 01-12-2021, 09:27 AM

4,025 posts, read 3,302,099 times
The argument that you are trying to make here is not right, its not even wrong, its just dumb.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:55 AM

OK let me lay it out for you as you're essentially just re-categorizing adjectives.

"Big" in reference to a "Big City". Not even in California terms does anyone refer to any of the following cities as "big"

Fresno
Bakersfield
Riverside
Palm Springs
Redding

No one thinks about Fresno in regards to anything other than people who for whatever reason really like Fresno. In terms of "Big Cities" in California people generally mean:

Los Angeles
San Francisco
San Jose
San Diego
Sacramento

Of these 5 "big cities" Sacramento is simultaneously the coldest (it gets colder than all of the others), the hottest (it gets hotter than all of the others) and the sunniest (it gets more sunshine than all of the others). If we start to compare after to that to small/medium-sized cities like those above then yes the picture is more complicated and of significantly less interest. However, given that. Your ascertation that some of these cities are significantly hotter than Sacramento is just objectively wrong, unless you are going to argue the meaning of "significant". Of those you mention, Fresno, Bakersfield are a little hotter in the summer, Riverside doesn't get AS hot as some of the Sacramento suburbs, essentially very similar. Palm Springs is definitely hotter and hotter than all the others. So your one statement of fact is "Palm Springs is very Hot" yes. It is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento