Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 6,128 times

Advertisements

Background: I'm planning on moving with my companion to the Salem area from San Diego sometime next year. Both of us are leaving decent jobs but with a terrible quality of life to be closer to my family and (hopefully) have a better quality of life. I've worked as a graphic designer for the past 10+ years but don't want to get back into it up there if I can help it. I'm fully prepared to work at a grocery store for the first year or so if I have to.

We are choosing Salem because it's the State Capitol, and I've wanted to work in government for a long time. I've been looking at the state job board a few times a month. There seems to be a lot of fairly entry level administrative, paper-pusher type jobs on there at any given time that I look. I'd be interested in applying for any of these just to get some stable work history going in the area.

How easy are these jobs to get? Are they highly competitive? Is there upward/lateral mobility in positions or departments once you're in? Down here in San Diego it's almost impossible to get your resume looked at by a human being because everyone and their mother wants to live and work here. Even worse so for government gigs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 04:15 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Yes there is a lot of competition for state jobs as most people see them as being relatively stable employment. Yes, you can move up or over to other departments once you are hired. It just depends on your skills.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:12 AM

7 posts, read 9,526 times
it's difficult but not impossible to get a state job. if you can afford to take a lower, entry level position, moving up and around is pretty easy.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:48 PM

31 posts, read 35,183 times
On April 20, Gov. Kate Brown signed an executive order instituting a 2-month hiring freeze for state workers.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 6,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freidenbach View Post
On April 20, Gov. Kate Brown signed an executive order instituting a 2-month hiring freeze for state workers.
That's good to know. I wouldn't be coming up there until 2018, hopefully it's not a trend.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:12 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikitaRaqs View Post
That's good to know. I wouldn't be coming up there until 2018, hopefully it's not a trend.
Yes, it is a trend. The state didn't bother to fund its retirement program as the benefits were earned, so they are stuck with a bill that will chop a big hole in the state budget. There will be positions eliminated, count on it. The first wave will hit in 2018 and will be very painful. State jobs will not be stable employment any more.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:36 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yes, it is a trend. The state didn't bother to fund its retirement program as the benefits were earned, so they are stuck with a bill that will chop a big hole in the state budget. There will be positions eliminated, count on it. The first wave will hit in 2018 and will be very painful. State jobs will not be stable employment any more.

I hope you are right Larry. I fear however continued gamesmanship in gov't. Dept. Managers will create a fake budget calling for three (3) new heads in the Dept.

They will then "eliminate" two (2) of the additions at some point.

The Dept will still grow by one (1) while mgmt. will claim they cut two (2) heads from the budget. This is how gov't works. It is terrible.

OP - good luck.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:44 PM

67 posts, read 80,408 times
If it's any indication, I had three interviews (of four management-level jobs I applied for) and I'm from SoCal. It would seem that some skill sets are lacking in the Salem area, otherwise they would have plenty of locals to interview. Just my observation.

Having worked in public sector for many years, I wouldn't worry too much about applying for jobs right now. Budgets are done way in advance and usually if there's a remote chance a position will be dropped in the future, it never gets funded to begin with.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:01 PM

213 posts, read 522,495 times
Getting a state job is very difficult. I've had only three interviews out of about 40 applications. Unfortunately (I say this because I don't think it's right), if you know someone it will be easier to get in. The initial application goes through and looks for key words/phrases. If you make it past that, then a human looks at your application and resume.

Although the jobs are considered stable, there's a high turnover in some areas due to high workload and/or stress and low pay.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Veteran's preference points help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
View detailed profiles of: