Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 10:28 PM

4,679 posts, read 3,035,628 times

Advertisements

Just curious, does the Oregon state government hire temps?

I'm retired from California civil service, and not looking for another 'career' position,
but might like to do some temping for extra income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 11:18 AM

9 posts, read 10,908 times
Definitely competitive and difficult to snag at times, but very solid jobs if you do when you consider the whole benefits package and the job stability/protections. I would definitely put some effort into trying to secure one.

I like to joke that I need a state job for my predicted longevity alone -- grandparents and great grandparents lived into their late 90s and early 100s and I don't smoke or drink, so I need the pension, which will last as long as I do unless I want to work until I'm 80.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:22 AM

9 posts, read 10,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Just curious, does the Oregon state government hire temps?

I'm retired from California civil service, and not looking for another 'career' position,
but might like to do some temping for extra income.
They definitely do. Look for jobs described as 'limited duration appointments' -- these are typically filled for short or medium term project work or part-time/seasonal opportunities.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:18 PM

4,679 posts, read 3,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwa88 View Post
They definitely do. Look for jobs described as 'limited duration appointments' -- these are typically filled for short or medium term project work or part-time/seasonal opportunities.
Thank you, NWA88!

Old 09-11-2017, 01:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,489,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonchickfan View Post
Getting a state job is very difficult. I've had only three interviews out of about 40 applications. Unfortunately (I say this because I don't think it's right), if you know someone it will be easier to get in. The initial application goes through and looks for key words/phrases. If you make it past that, then a human looks at your application and resume.

Although the jobs are considered stable, there's a high turnover in some areas due to high workload and/or stress and low pay.
Same here. I applied I don't know to how many jobs with the state over several decades with no luck. Then a friend's sister who worked for the state told me she would have no trouble getting me in. I guess I should have made it known to her earlier. I had already made the decision to relocate to another state.

So I yes it absolutly helps if you know someone who is already working there.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,442 times
My husband has been applying for a state job for a few months now, his MA is in political science and has a very good resume and always meets the required skills/experience.

He has applied to 40-ish jobs and has had several interviews, but I always get the feeling there are other people already in the department applying to these same jobs looking to move up. It does seem competitive.

He had a second interview recently, where the interviewer confessed they were surprised how many qualified candidates they received. Around 100 people applied for this position which is entry level analyst. Only 4 people were invited for the 2nd interview.

So, 100 applications sounds pretty dang competitive to me. Lots of people after the entry-level ones, or you're competing with those who already have experience doing the job in the higher llevel positions.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:38 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,489,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite Oiseau View Post
My husband has been applying for a state job for a few months now, his MA is in political science and has a very good resume and always meets the required skills/experience.

He has applied to 40-ish jobs and has had several interviews, but I always get the feeling there are other people already in the department applying to these same jobs looking to move up. It does seem competitive.

He had a second interview recently, where the interviewer confessed they were surprised how many qualified candidates they received. Around 100 people applied for this position which is entry level analyst. Only 4 people were invited for the 2nd interview.

So, 100 applications sounds pretty dang competitive to me. Lots of people after the entry-level ones, or you're competing with those who already have experience doing the job in the higher llevel positions.
I hope your husband gets the job. It sounds promising.

Regarding the other interviews, like some companies they often know who will be given the job but have to make a show of interviewing form the outside. Part of this has to do with compliance with anti-discrimination laws.

I worked at the Multnomah County Courthouse for a year and saw how people were hired through cronyism, nepotism and all the other “isms.”

Old 11-14-2017, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I hope your husband gets the job. It sounds promising.

Regarding the other interviews, like some companies they often know who will be given the job but have to make a show of interviewing form the outside. Part of this has to do with compliance with anti-discrimination laws.

I worked at the Multnomah County Courthouse for a year and saw how people were hired through cronyism, nepotism and all the other “isms.”
Thank you Minervah! And yes, it must be so frustrating for people who go to multiple interviews when they aren't really even being considered, just there to meet the outsider quota.

As an update, my husband did get a job offer, and it WASN'T from the last two interviews I mentioned where he progressed to the 2nd interview. It was a different position, more niche because it had to do with technology which is also part of his work experience.

For anyone applying, you're going to need to bring your "A game!" Also, it can take a long time to hear back. One of the receptionists said it took 3 months before she found out she got her job.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:13 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,887,331 times
As someone contemplating a move back home to OR, I have one question if anyone reading this has a State job or knows someone who does... will the State always start new hires at the bottom of a posted pay range, or do they have latitude to hire someone partway up the scale? My only experience in this arena was at OHSU which was semi-state/semi-not so I suspect they had a bit more leeway.

thanks

Old 01-16-2018, 09:25 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,631,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
As someone contemplating a move back home to OR, I have one question if anyone reading this has a State job or knows someone who does... will the State always start new hires at the bottom of a posted pay range, or do they have latitude to hire someone partway up the scale? My only experience in this arena was at OHSU which was semi-state/semi-not so I suspect they had a bit more leeway.

thanks
When I worked for the State several years ago, they didn't start me at the bottom but close to it. If I remember correctly there were 10 salary tiers for my job, and I was gunning for something in about the middle, 6 or 7 I think, to match my previous pay level. My manager indicated that in order to go to a higher tier they had to get the head of the agency/department I worked for to sign off, and that was rare. I took his word for it.

I think I ended up at level 2 or 3. But each state department may treat that differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
View detailed profiles of: