Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:36 PM

3 posts, read 40,277 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Colorado, and am moving into the Salt Lake City area around mid-October. I need to find a (safe) place to live for no more than $700 a month that will allow me to keep my pit, as I am not giving him up. I am also open to renting homes, but I've been browsing craigslist for a couple weeks and a lot of places don't like pets period, or have restrictions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am visiting Salt Lake next month and my boyfriend and I are going to start checking places out. I'm hoping to find places by then to look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 05:44 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,757,641 times
I wish you a LOT of luck. Pit bulls have a horrible reputation in the metro areas of Northern Utah. Many children and even adults have been harmed by individuals that have left them either not tied up or supervised. I know it's how you raise the dog, but honestly I suspect most landlords won't want the added liability involved, and no doubt neighbors won't be too excited to have them nearby. Just the way it is around here. It's not been a good run for the pits.......

Old 06-15-2011, 05:56 PM

I am willing to live a bit farther out if necessary, but preferably not more than 15 miles as my boyfriend wants to be close to his family. It is unfortunate that they have such a bad rap as they are fantastic dogs, but I knew when I got this dog that moving with one would be difficult. I wouldn't want any other kind of dog though.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:10 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,076 times
Yes, they are fantastic dogs. My brother and his family have one and my mom, dad and youngest brother have one of her sons. They are both the sweetest, most gentle dogs! I would suggest renting from a private owner as opposed to in a complex someplace.

You can check on the classified ads on KSL.com under the homes section, then narrow down the search for rent. I doubt most of them would say specifically that pitties are ok, but once you find one that says ok for pets, you can email/call and go from there. There are several cities in Utah that has a ban on pitties (DON'T GET ME STARTED), I believe South Jordan is one of them, but don't quote me on it. I live in Tooele County and they are ok here!

Although Tooele County is more than 15 miles out, it is mostly a rural area and the drive to Salt Lake is really no problem at all.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:34 PM

23 posts, read 55,625 times
Lotsa luck. When we moved here last year we planned on renting first until we could sell our CA place. We have 2 100 pound dogs. One a lab/pit mix, and the other a rottie. We had NO luck finding a rental. In the end, we just went ahead and bought here first and then sold the CA place.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:32 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citifly View Post
I'm currently living in Colorado, and am moving into the Salt Lake City area around mid-October. I need to find a (safe) place to live for no more than $700 a month that will allow me to keep my pit, as I am not giving him up. I am also open to renting homes, but I've been browsing craigslist for a couple weeks and a lot of places don't like pets period, or have restrictions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am visiting Salt Lake next month and my boyfriend and I are going to start checking places out. I'm hoping to find places by then to look at.
You should not have a pit bull if you aren't already a home owner.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:56 PM

Why should I not have a pit if I'm not a home owner? I find that stupid, since that's one of the reasons why I couldn't adopt from one shelter and they have sooo many pit bulls there, some of which have been there for over 6 months. He will be getting daily exercise, obedience training, and lots of love and care. I go for hikes and walks. I probably won't be owning a home for another 10+ years. How many people these days can afford a nice home?

And as I said, I'm open to the idea of renting homes so he can have a backyard since this is NOT a state I'm going to be living in forever.

Like seriously, what does it matter if I don't own my home yet? Either way, if I had my own home or not, he'd be sleeping in-doors at night, wouldn't be inside most of the day since I can't stand being inside all day, and would have consistent training. So I don't wanna hear it.

As for everyone else that's been wishing me luck and offering advice, I appreciate it! I will look into other counties and cities that don't have a ban on these dogs that aren't too far from Salt Lake.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Salt Lake City does not have a breed ban. I have a pittie.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:10 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,823 times
i have a pit bull mix down in utah county. there are ordinances against them in some towns, springville for example, but not everywhere. i did wait until i became a house owner to adopt ours, but i would have done that regardless of breed.

i therefore don't know much at all about apartment issues with them, but i do know that there are a lot of people here that understand the breed and are willing to set up pit bull playdates and stuff like that.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 14,705 times
Any additional information on this? I am looking to move in Nov/Dec of this year and I have a 3 year old, neutered and extremely well mannered shar-pei/pit mix. Please help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area