Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:23 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,951 times

Advertisements

The climate is quite a bit different due to the Topography. Denver can get hammered by summer storms that include large hail with several large tornadoes on record just to the East. The area is also exposed to Gulf of Mexico moisture so it does feel more humid nin both summer and winter.
Denver is also a good 1-1.5 hours away from the mountains even theough the city itself is at a higher elevation than SLC. SLC, well we hit the jackpot and have fab mountains about 10 minutes away....
The new-well kinda new-airport on the Front Range has only been closed 1 or 2 times and those were due to employees not being able to get to work due to snow storms. Stapleton was closed quite a bit due to weather and this was taken onto account when the new airport was being planned.
I have quite a few friends over that way and they seem to enjoy a more rambunctious "social" scene in Denver than here-
I can vouch for the awful traffic on I25/I70 in the metro area-good lord, it is really awful and I would poke my eyes out if I had to do that on a daily basis....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 01:50 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
The climate is quite a bit different due to the Topography. Denver can get hammered by summer storms that include large hail with several large tornadoes on record just to the East. The area is also exposed to Gulf of Mexico moisture so it does feel more humid nin both summer and winter.
Denver is also a good 1-1.5 hours away from the mountains even theough the city itself is at a higher elevation than SLC. SLC, well we hit the jackpot and have fab mountains about 10 minutes away....
The new-well kinda new-airport on the Front Range has only been closed 1 or 2 times and those were due to employees not being able to get to work due to snow storms. Stapleton was closed quite a bit due to weather and this was taken onto account when the new airport was being planned.
I have quite a few friends over that way and they seem to enjoy a more rambunctious "social" scene in Denver than here-
I can vouch for the awful traffic on I25/I70 in the metro area-good lord, it is really awful and I would poke my eyes out if I had to do that on a daily basis....
I really depend on where you live in the metro area. I live on the mosteastern edge of the Denver metro area, and its about 50 minutes to get to the mountains taking the highway.

And as for traffic, i will be glad not to deal with alot of rush hour traffic if i ever move to SLC. I think its because of Denvers limited Highway system (Not to expansive), but the rush hour traffic starts at 3:45pm and ends at 7:00pm...Its horrible. So if anybody can tell me about SLC traffic, it would be appreciated.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:19 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
SLC has The Gateway mall which is similar in style, yet smaller in size than Denver's 16th Street mall.

Wasatch Mountains on the east side of the Salt Lake Valley and the Oquirrh (pronounced Oh-kur) mountains on the west side. Denver, I think only has mountains on the west side.

DIA is a MUCH larger airport than SL International.

Our city's light rail transportation system, known as TRAX is expanding throughout the SL valley. In the next 2 years, it will connect the downtown area to the airport. Nice feature considering how far away DIA is from downtown Denver.

My sister & BIL have lived in Westminster, Arvada, and now Golden in the past 37 years. They really like Golden.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:46 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
People are misleading you. The two cities are very alike in terms of geography and lifestyle/activities. There are differences obviously, as Denver is much larger and such, but compared to most cities, it is deceptive to say they are not alike.
I don't think anybody is being misleading. I don't think the OP was asking which of the two cities was better than the other, but if they are similar in the respects he mentioned. Other than the climate, I sincerely don't think they are. I've never lived in Denver, but I have visited there several times. The entire atmosphere seemed drastically different to me, almost as different as, say, the atmosphere in New York City, Los Angeles, Seattle, or Las Vegas. I found very few similarities between the two cities, at least on the surface. Of course I didn't even look into things like the cost of real estate and the economy.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:21 PM

498 posts, read 1,456,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't think anybody is being misleading. I don't think the OP was asking which of the two cities was better than the other, but if they are similar in the respects he mentioned. Other than the climate, I sincerely don't think they are. I've never lived in Denver, but I have visited there several times. The entire atmosphere seemed drastically different to me, almost as different as, say, the atmosphere in New York City, Los Angeles, Seattle, or Las Vegas. I found very few similarities between the two cities, at least on the surface. Of course I didn't even look into things like the cost of real estate and the economy.
Then say so. "No" isn't very insightful. It's like saying "don't even bother asking," when your experience and opinion are subjective, and the OP deserves to know how much you know and what your background is with the two metros.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:58 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,951 times
Well Mountain, we have been having humid nights here lately-and days too!! The monsoon season has kicked in early and I feel like I am right back in the middle of a Kansas summer. AS one of our former governors sadi-"no way to run a desert".
I am not on a daily commute but when I am out and about during the "rush" hours, it is nothing like I25 from Cheyenne to the turnpike cutoff. On occasion, there may be a wreck that throws everything to hell in a handbasket but the powers that be have recently decided that it would be best if the parties involved could pull of to the side of the road so traffic can continue to move.
This past winter, the State Troopers actually enforced the "chain required" thing at the mouth of Parley's-which I thought was a fantastic thing-and the East bound back up was a sight to behold!
I have the "commuter link" and "canyon alerts" on my smart phone-saved me lots of time and hassle if you know where the problems are...

I don't think that the employment scene is so great here and Utah has a reputation for low pay too. I was under the impression that the Front Range was in the midst of a economic mini-boom ...again.

We do get some crappy air in the winter like Denver does but ours can last longer since we are in a "bowl" and takes a fairly strong weather system to "clean" us out...

Old 07-26-2011, 04:00 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
Then say so. "No" isn't very insightful. It's like saying "don't even bother asking," when your experience and opinion are subjective, and the OP deserves to know how much you know and what your background is with the two metros.
I'm sorry!

Old 07-26-2011, 05:07 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
Oh Boy, remember that all opinions are subjective of course. To help keep the peace here's some fun facts on a lighter note...

SkiBarbie left out the fact that medical proceedures can be a good deal in SLC, probably cheaper than Denver. Evidenced by the fact she gets her pad crashed on occaision by out of town girlfriends seeking botox treatments.

The Beach Boys (well, namely Brian Wilson) wrote a song about Salt Lake City, I DO NOT believe they ever wrote one about Denver. I seem to recall seeing a Beach Boys cover band on Youtube called the Fendertones that did a very respectable stage rendition of this song.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:31 PM

16 posts, read 61,152 times
Here are my $0.02. Most people tend to define Salt Lake City as a monolith. Instead, the city is diverse both in terms of people and politics. There is a strong "beer" culture in the city proper, and it is gradually getting more pronounced as the people from different states are moving in. I'm an unapologetic beer lovin' liberal and I have enjoyed my time in the city- plus, there are many more people like me. Of course, the LDS church wields a lot of influence, but that is being diluted by the diminishing number of active Mormons in the city.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:32 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times
Both have mountains....Thats all i could come up with. SLC is like a Mini version of Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area