Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 01:07 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,530 times

Advertisements

Okay, I want to drive where you two drive. I take the 15 north from Lehi to SLC, and I always get stuck behind someone doing 50! whatever happened to the "slow lane"?
Also, try going down Redwood, south, by camp williams, the speed limit is clearly posted at 55....why do so many do between 35 and 40 mph? And why, when someone is holding up traffic and has at least 4 cars behind them, doesn't a cop pull them over and give them a ticket for impeading (sp) the flow of traffic? (and yes, the cops are around to see this)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 01:46 AM

396 posts, read 1,276,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
SLC is not like any other city around....it's very small...slow paced. If you're from a progessive state like I am, you may be very disappointed here. The malls are merely enclosed strip malls, with too small stores, and very little selection. There is a very small outlet mall in Park City, with a few good stores though.
As for restaurants, especially those with an ethnic flare, have a tendency to be bland, but if you ask for it to be made authentic, most places will comply. Just keep in mind that the servers in utah only make 2.13 an hour, so tipping for good service, is always appreciated.
Becareful on the roads too, the drivers out here have a tendency to go too slow, and the phrase "keep up with the flow of traffic" seems to be un heard of.
What Salt Lake City are you living in?

Very small and slow-paced? That's news to me. If you can't find good shopping, you're not looking hard enough. If you can't find good restaraunts, you aren't looking hard enough. Either that, or you just have really high standards.

And yes, of course a single slow driver is going to slow the flow of all traffic behind it, but I also wish cops would pull them over. There seems to be more inconsistency in the driving; lots of speeders and enough people going slow that it holds up traffic in too many instances. There's hardly a happy medium at all.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
What Salt Lake City are you living in?

Very small and slow-paced? That's news to me. If you can't find good shopping, you're not looking hard enough. If you can't find good restaraunts, you aren't looking hard enough. Either that, or you just have really high standards.

And yes, of course a single slow driver is going to slow the flow of all traffic behind it, but I also wish cops would pull them over. There seems to be more inconsistency in the driving; lots of speeders and enough people going slow that it holds up traffic in too many instances. There's hardly a happy medium at all.
Have you ever been to San Diego? What about L.A.? Compared to what I'm used to, yes, SLC is very small and slow-paced. And, as for the shopping...yes, I have been looking. Please tell me where in the entire of state of Utah I can find somewhere to shop that compares with the Ontario Mills mall in Ontario, or the Fashion Valley Center in San Diego, or the Galleria at Tyler in Riverside, or even the small Promenade in Temecula.
I would so appreciate it, if you could direct me to someplace similar to those!

Old 10-03-2007, 12:44 AM

396 posts, read 1,276,256 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to San Diego? What about L.A.? Compared to what I'm used to, yes, SLC is very small and slow-paced. And, as for the shopping...yes, I have been looking. Please tell me where in the entire of state of Utah I can find somewhere to shop that compares with the Ontario Mills mall in Ontario, or the Fashion Valley Center in San Diego, or the Galleria at Tyler in Riverside, or even the small Promenade in Temecula.
I wouldn't really know, since I'm not familiar with any of those places. I don't know what your definition of good shopping is. Maybe it's just because I'm perfectly satisfied with big-box stores. *shrug* The malls here DO suck. Cottonwood is dead, Valley Fair is a dump, Fashion Place is just boring, South Towne is a little better but not by much, the downtown malls are gone. Gateway is the only good mall anymore, although some of the reconstruction they're doing on area malls should help (Cottonwood, Valley Fair, and of course City Creek).

And I guess in comparison to Los Angeles and San Diego, yeah, it's slow-paced.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:28 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,905 times
Quote:

Well, I am very familiar with San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, and I can find the same quality products in Salt Lake City as I can find in any of those California cities. No, one will not find the same brands, and, no, the shopping centers don’t have the same phony and unnecessary Hollywood glitz. I can also state that I can’t find the same products in California that I can find in Utah.

Next, Salt Lake City can’t be described as small by any stretch of the imagination, and to characterize it as “slow paced” is a gross distortion. I have lived in all of the aforementioned California cities, so I can speak with empirical authority on this topic. To characterize Salt Lake City as having a different lifestyle, where a much greater emphasis is placed on family and religious values rather than on a hedonistic lifestyle would be much more accurate.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I wouldn't really know, since I'm not familiar with any of those places. I don't know what your definition of good shopping is. Maybe it's just because I'm perfectly satisfied with big-box stores. *shrug* The malls here DO suck. Cottonwood is dead, Valley Fair is a dump, Fashion Place is just boring, South Towne is a little better but not by much, the downtown malls are gone. Gateway is the only good mall anymore, although some of the reconstruction they're doing on area malls should help (Cottonwood, Valley Fair, and of course City Creek).

And I guess in comparison to Los Angeles and San Diego, yeah, it's slow-paced.
It just depends on where a person is from, and what they're used to. For me it's the small selection while shopping. But, that's why there's the internet...

Old 10-04-2007, 01:48 PM

91 posts, read 484,132 times
Salt Lake is okay, but I was hugely disappointed with the neighborhoods. My wife and I checked out the east millcreek, holladay area expecting a similar quality of housing to Naperville, IL where I had come from. I thought most of the Salt Lake valley looked run down when compared to a lot of other cities' suburban areas, especially for the price. Downtown is pretty boring for its size but clean, I don't know, I think it's overrated.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:51 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Like several other posters on this thread, I'm taking a looking at U. of Utah (among many other schools) for their Master of Science in Finance program at their business school. Does anybody know what the reputation of the business school and their finance program is like? What are the job prospects after graduation?

I grew up in Denver, and I'm currently living in Phoenix. I've only been to Salt Lake once, for one night, and it was years ago, so I don't really remember it too well. Can anybody compare Salt Lake to these two cities?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:26 AM

33 posts, read 228,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Like several other posters on this thread, I'm taking a looking at U. of Utah (among many other schools) for their Master of Science in Finance program at their business school. Does anybody know what the reputation of the business school and their finance program is like? What are the job prospects after graduation?

I grew up in Denver, and I'm currently living in Phoenix. I've only been to Salt Lake once, for one night, and it was years ago, so I don't really remember it too well. Can anybody compare Salt Lake to these two cities?
vegaspilgrim- I would say Salt Lake is like the little brother to both Denver and Phoenix. It's trying really hard to be cool and fit in, but it's just not quite there yet. I've lived in Salt Lake and Denver, and been to Phoenix several times. You'll definitely find more to do in the latter two cities. But there is still pleanty to do in Salt Lake, and you can still pretty much find whatever you're looking for. Just don't expect too much going on during the middle of the week.

The Univeristy of Utah has one of the highest rated business schools in the nation. I attended the U for my undergrad, and really enjoyed the school. The campus is beautiful, and for being in Utah is quite a liberal school. I would definitely recommend that you check it out.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-16-2007, 01:18 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post

I’m not too familiar with Denver or Phoenix, so can’t comment on how those compare, other than to say they are larger than SLC.

But I got my MBA of the U of U business school. I had a lot of classes with MS in Finance people. Other than being overly enthralled by numbers, they were pretty cool

The school’s pretty good. It’s definitely on the upswing. The MBA program cracked the top 50 in the Business Week rankings while I was there. They have one nice new multimedia facility and are tearing down the other two old buildings to build new ones (note that might happen while you are there and would not be fun). Most of the teachers are great. I was impressed where they come from – Harvard, Standford, Northwestern etc. There was one who was a dud that I had, in my opinion. The program is pretty small – only a couple hundred full time grad students. So classes are pretty small and you get to know the teachers on a one-on-one basis. However the small size is a bit limiting. A couple of classes that I wanted to take were cancelled due to lack of students. I ended up taking a fair number of night classes with the PT students because that was the only time the good classes were offered.

About 25 percent of the students were international … mostly from China, India, and the former Soviet Union. Of the non-International students, about 75 percent were local from Utah, and 25 percent had come from other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area