Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:20 PM

13 posts, read 37,417 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know what it's like to live in West Valley City. I searched it, but there are hardly any threads about it. So can someone give me some info? Weather, crime, schools, all that stuff. I'd appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 01:33 PM

313 posts, read 778,475 times
Its stereotpically the most working class and ethnic suburb. The reality is its just a big regular American suburb.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:14 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyRudd View Post
Its stereotpically the most working class and ethnic suburb. The reality is its just a big regular American suburb.
with a 90% mexican population.

When I worked there (which was quite often, i did installs for dish network) almost every time you went to west valley it was a spanish household. Not that there is anything wrong but it can be a bit different than other areas because of that.

Some would say its more dangerous although my many times of working there (hundreds) I never once had any issues with anybody other than not being able to communicate which I wouldnt consider dangerous by any means.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:15 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times
West Valley City would be on my personal list of areas in and around Salt Lake where I would not want to live. The others would be Taylorsville, Kearns, and Glendale. You've got some excellent residential areas from which to choose. I would suggest you eliminate West Valley City.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:29 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,757,641 times
I'm a bit surprised you didn't find a good number of discussions on the WVC subject. While it does indeed carry a "black eye" reputation regarding crime, I'm sorry to say it is unfortunately well deserved. I work in the security industry and frankly WVC along with Kearns, Taylorsville, Glendale, West Central Salt Lake City and South Salt Lake City are places you should simply bypass in your considerations of living. You'll avoid some possible grief down the road. My companies good relationship with most of the areas mentioned law enforcement bear this out. They have the highest both property AND bodily injury crime rate of all of Northern Utah with the possible exception of Ogden. Actually Ogden is doing a GREAT job cleaning up their gang issues taking a much firmer and pro active hand. Kudos to them for that indeed. WVC has been plagued by this since the middle late 80's with the influx of both illegals and gangs in general. It's sad but true. So just do yourself a favor and take a pass on those spots. Give Sugarhouse, E. Millcreek, Holladay, West and South Jordan some consideration depending on where you have to commute to. You'll be glad you did.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:26 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
West Valley City would be on my personal list of areas in and around Salt Lake where I would not want to live. The others would be Taylorsville, Kearns, and Glendale. You've got some excellent residential areas from which to choose. I would suggest you eliminate West Valley City.
I agree. & Rose Park (part of SLC, I'm thinking Glendale is too????) . & Magna. Though, some small areas of WVC are better & nice, it's just the name of the city that drags those nice houses costs down too. =( I like the SW side, western West Jordan (where I live) , South Jordan, Herriman, Bluffdale.

Not too up on the east side, but Sandy, Draper, nice. FWIW, I have friends who live in East Millcreek twp & Holladay, &, where they live, is not good at all. But, that's only a couple areas. Like w/ West Jordan, there are some areas that are not good, & some that are. I, myself, would not live in eastern West Jordan.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:21 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,757,641 times
I should have qualified the E. Millcreek situation. Generally speaking from 1300 E. and East of there it gets better. West of 1300 E. is dicey in some spots. I understand the "Highland Park" South of Sugarhouse (2700 S. to 3300 S. and 1300 E. to about 2300 E.) is also pretty quaint. Sorry to say the further away you stay from any apartments the better. They "tend" to harbor trouble makers.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:15 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,319 times
Does anyone know where Millcreek and East Millcreek separate? When we moved down here, I was under the assumption that it was all just "Millcreek". I have since had my front wheels lined out but am still not sure of the exact boundaries....

Old 08-30-2011, 09:44 PM

21 posts, read 133,595 times
If West Valley City is so dangerous, why do Usana, CR England, UPS, Frito-Lay and DiscoverCard have offices and/or operations there? Shouldn't the crime have chased them out?

I could have sworn that Backcountry was in West Valley? Well, they are pretty close.

Yes, a few Gringos like me still live in West Valley City.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:54 PM

313 posts, read 778,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
If West Valley City is so dangerous, why do Usana, CR England, UPS, Frito-Lay and DiscoverCard have offices and/or operations there? Shouldn't the crime have chased them out?

I could have sworn that Backcountry was in West Valley? Well, they are pretty close.

Yes, a few Gringos like me still live in West Valley City.
Those companies are there because it's cheaper; but I don't think West Valley is so bad. it's not m fave but people certainly exaggerate how bad anything is and exaggerate how lovely the past was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area