Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 01:12 PM

90 posts, read 204,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post
Outside the Catholic school system, there are Challenger schools (which I personally think are academically questionable), Waterford (which is very highly regarded academically and VERY LDS), Mount Vernon Academy (also very LDS--fundamentally, even, as some polygamist families send their children there), Wasatch Academy (boarding school in Mount Pleasant), Rowland Hall (formerly Rowland Hall-St. Mark's School, but in 2008 they dropped the "St. Marks" from their name and completely severed ties with the Episcopal Church; it is essentially a secular school now), and the McGillis School (which has slight ties to the Jewish Community Center).

Personally, if I was tied to private school, I'd pick McGillis for elementary and Rowland Hall for jr/sr. high.

But really---I'd skip the private schools, like many others here, due to cost. Yes, Rowland Hall is probably a *little* better academically than a public school, but it's definitely not $18k a year better. If you are an involved, active parent in your child's education, he or she can excel in public school with no problems.
Thanks for your thoughts - very helpful! I like the idea of McGillias and Rowland. Now I need to go look on a map for McGillis and where you need to live to attend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You really seem to be concerned about the LDS element here in Salt Lake. I can't help but wonder why. 50% of your neighbors are going to be LDS. 50% of your kids' friends probably will be, too. It is what it is. If this really is as big a concern as I'm sensing it is, maybe Salt Lake City isn't "the place" for you, after all. Maybe someplace like Boulder, Colorado would be a better fit.
I wouldn't say I'm overly concerned about the LDS piece of moving to the area, but it is definitely a consideration. I imagine it's a consideration for a lot of people moving to SLC who are not religious.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:57 PM

8 posts, read 37,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewear View Post
I wouldn't say I'm overly concerned about the LDS piece of moving to the area, but it is definitely a consideration. I imagine it's a consideration for a lot of people moving to SLC who are not religious.
Shanewear,

I agree with the comment to which you're responding. If you're overly concerned about it, I would move to somewhere like Denver. If you're just a little bit concerned/interested, then go ahead and give it a shot for a year to see how you like it.

It's kind of like the people on the Southern California forum who are worried that there aren't a lot of liberals living in Newport Beach. If it's that big of a worry, I wouldn't risk it, otherwise you won't be happy.

We all want a place to have similar things such as our home. However, if everything were the exact same, what's the point of moving and experiencing something different.

I am thinking of moving to Oregon, Washington, or Southern California. While I wouldn't mind if there were some elements of Utah in these places, I am not going to long for them when I get there. I would just try and appreciate where I am moving and make the best. If it is so dreadful I can't stand it, I'll be back to Utah in a year or two.

This is America though. Is it really that bad anywhere? Even the midwest and the south probably have some awesome places to live.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:12 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,770 times
Don't worry about where you live in order to attend any of the private schools, just worry about the tuition! As far as I know, there are no boundaries for attending. Some of my friends have their kids ride the bus from PC to Waterford/Rowland Hall or drive them down.
Odd thing-to me anyway-you don't even have attend the public school in your neighborhood either. I really feel that is a mistake for many reasons but that's the way it is.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Johnson View Post
Shanewear,

I agree with the comment to which you're responding. If you're overly concerned about it, I would move to somewhere like Denver. If you're just a little bit concerned/interested, then go ahead and give it a shot for a year to see how you like it.

It's kind of like the people on the Southern California forum who are worried that there aren't a lot of liberals living in Newport Beach. If it's that big of a worry, I wouldn't risk it, otherwise you won't be happy.

We all want a place to have similar things such as our home. However, if everything were the exact same, what's the point of moving and experiencing something different.

I am thinking of moving to Oregon, Washington, or Southern California. While I wouldn't mind if there were some elements of Utah in these places, I am not going to long for them when I get there. I would just try and appreciate where I am moving and make the best. If it is so dreadful I can't stand it, I'll be back to Utah in a year or two.

This is America though. Is it really that bad anywhere? Even the midwest and the south probably have some awesome places to live.
Food for thought, but I don't think the LDS situation is of primary concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
Don't worry about where you live in order to attend any of the private schools, just worry about the tuition! As far as I know, there are no boundaries for attending. Some of my friends have their kids ride the bus from PC to Waterford/Rowland Hall or drive them down.
Good to know!

Old 11-06-2011, 04:00 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Shanewear - Check out the Catholic school on the south end of the valley - Skaggs Catholic center....lots of non-catholics attend including LDS. I heard somewhere that tuition was 4K a year... tho I could be wrong.

Particularly if you want to live on the eastern end of the county (Cottonwood Heights, East Sandy, near the Canyons).

Also - I understand you're from California? We moved here 21 years ago from LA - and have never looked back. You'll be in good company.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
I do believe that tuition is right around there. Here is the link for Skaggs Catholic Center if you are interested. If I lived in the south end of the valley and could afford it, I would send my girls there.

Skaggs Catholic Center | Draper Utah

Old 11-10-2011, 04:40 PM

I'm a little clueless about private schools. Can anyone attend if they pay the tuition and pass the interview? I'm looking at McGillis/Rowland in particular.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
I believe so, yes. Unless it is a private school for gifted children, then they would probably have to pass an entrance exam.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:17 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Shanewear - Check out the Catholic school on the south end of the valley - Skaggs Catholic center....lots of non-catholics attend including LDS. I heard somewhere that tuition was 4K a year... tho I could be wrong..
Like most Catholic diocese, the Diocese of Salt Lake City has a two-tier system at all levels. PRACTICING, active Catholics pay approximately 20-30% less than non-Catholics. Looking at the websites, the tuition for the elementary school is about $5500 and the high school about $9000, before the discount. How does the school KNOW if you are active? Usually your pastor will see if you have contributed to the church or have been an active participant.

In general, if you are active in the parish, they will find a way of getting you to attend Catholic school EVEN IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD IT. My friend's father was killed in an industrial accident. The family did not pay another cent in tuition as the mother was struggling to make ends meet.

Why pay for Catholic schools when public schools are "FREE"? Many parents want to send their children to schools where their values are reinforced, rather than ridiculed. The public schools in my area had a real anti-Catholic and anti-Semitic bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area