Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

I just walked around City Creek, which just opened today. Man does it change the vibe of Downtown! It's certainly a first-class development...It almost reminded me a bit of the mall at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, except with more of an outdoorsy, active vibe and a fair amount of European class carefully blended in in a way that actually works and doesn't feel fake or contrived. I love how it fits in and incorporates the rest of Downtown instead of pretending the surrounding area didn't exist like the old Crossroads/ZCMI mall did too.

I'm still not sure if high-end retailers like Tiffany and Rolex are actually gonna be able to turn a profit there though. Is there really that much of a luxury market here in Salt Lake?

Anyway I'm glad to see good architecture in SLC; we haven't built much of it around here since the turn of the century.

What are your thoughts and impressions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 06:57 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I just walked around City Creek, which just opened today. Man does it change the vibe of Downtown! It's certainly a first-class development...It almost reminded me a bit of the mall at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, except with more of an outdoorsy, active vibe and a fair amount of European class carefully blended in in a way that actually works and doesn't feel fake or contrived. I love how it fits in and incorporates the rest of Downtown instead of pretending the surrounding area didn't exist like the old Crossroads/ZCMI mall did too.

I'm still not sure if high-end retailers like Tiffany and Rolex are actually gonna be able to turn a profit there though. Is there really that much of a luxury market here in Salt Lake?

Anyway I'm glad to see good architecture in SLC; we haven't built much of it around here since the turn of the century.

What are your thoughts and impressions?
Isn't this the same development you were bad-mouthing the LDS Church for financing a few months back, Chango? I recall your saying something sarcastic to the effect that if you're good, maybe the LDS Church will let you go shop at their fancy new mall.

Anyway, I was down there today, too. Might have even passed you by. It was, in a word, incredible. Really, beyond that, I'm pretty much speechless. As for Tiffany and Rolex, you'd be surprised at the kind of money some people in Salt Lake have.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:03 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
I'm never downtown, ever. It's literally been years, I'm just not into that kind of stuff. But for those who like shopping, it's going to be great, so I bet there's lots of happy ladies today! Should be great for downtown, plus bring in tax dollars for ol' Ralphy.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 PM

973 posts, read 2,142,324 times
I'm excited to check it out. =)

Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,770 times
I am not much of a shopper but i certainly plan on checking it out after the first few weeks.
I know that there are some people with major moola here in SLC but,,,,,this is my first year working at a ski shop in SLC instead of Park City and I have been blown away by the "frugality" of the locals. It will be interesting to see now the high end shops at the new mall fare but I am sure they all performed their due diligence before jumping in.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 PM

Note to the guys: Unless you absolutely detest shopping, you'll be impressed by this place. My hubby was even more blown away by it than I was. This is unlike anything Salt Lake City has ever seen before. I'd almost go so far as to say that it makes the Gateway Mall look like some West Valley City strip mall. (Well, not quite, but hey, how do you get people to take you seriously if you don't exaggerate a little?)

Old 03-23-2012, 07:21 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
For me I'm pretty sure it will be just like my "Mall Of America" experience when I was in Minnesota. Had to check it out, but more as a curiosity and not much more. There isn't anything there I can't live without. And I most definitely am NOT a crowd person. I'll probably get to check it out and get my fix and be done with it. I think it will certainly be a HUGE tourist attraction for anyone visiting Salt Lake City, much more so than the Gateway. I too wonder how a place like a Tiffany will do as we already O.C. Tanner, and no doubt their church clientele will remain loyal. I think it was a good thing to do nevertheless, even if it's not for me. I just hope they keep the security on board at high levels and keep it classy. They need to keep the riff raff and pan handlers away and clear of this place. That was the death knell for Crossroads. It should NOT become a hangout for punks and such. Just saying it like it is.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
I've just seen the t.v. pictures. However, I saw enough to want to go down there soon. I will do this as soon as I don't think it will be too overcrowded to enjoy. I've always wondered about exactly "how much money" some people around here really have.

I will tell you though there are people with money here who would never dream of buying a Rolex watch, a $2000 suit, or a Lexus automobile. That's another factor. Just because people have money doesn't mean they are willing to spend it on the type of "high end" items you'll find at the City Creek Center.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Isn't this the same development you were bad-mouthing the LDS Church for financing a few months back, Chango? I recall your saying something sarcastic to the effect that if you're good, maybe the LDS Church will let you go shop at their fancy new mall.

Anyway, I was down there today, too. Might have even passed you by. It was, in a word, incredible. Really, beyond that, I'm pretty much speechless. As for Tiffany and Rolex, you'd be surprised at the kind of money some people in Salt Lake have.
ME?! Badmouth the LDS Church? NEVER!!!

Anyway, let's seperate church and state a little here please. Regardless of where the money came from and who built it, the results are beautiful.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
ME?! Badmouth the LDS Church? NEVER!!!

Quote:
Anyway, let's seperate church and state a little here please. Regardless of where the money came from and who built it, the results are beautiful.
They absolutely are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area