Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 11:21 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veron2222 View Post
I really HATE that Mormon church at school
Stuff. Very UnAmerican separation of church and state.
That's the only reason I haven't moved there.
There isn't Mormon church at school? The students are allowed to leave campus to participate in Seminary, but they would allow that for any student that wanted to leave for ANY religious teachings. It is called release time and is an elective in school. It is no different than shop class, graphic arts or the like. It isn't part of school. It is off campus in buildings that are paid for by the LDS church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 06:40 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
The thing that always seemed a bit overly-convenient to me, even as a faithful Seminary attendee in a Davis County High School, was the effort which school districts in Utah make in order to accommodate access to LDS Seminary by requiring a student complete the exact amount of credits for graduation which permits students to have 1 period of "Released Time" during every year of high school, and always designing or building a school with an empty lot available for the LDS church to purchase and develop - often with shared access to parking.

Now of course the Released Time applies to other faiths equally as a student may use their Released Time period to attend a Catholic or Jewish seminary, or even to just go home and do personal studying for an hour each day, but being that this is Utah - we all know why the curriculum is designed in the specific way in which it is, rather than the requirement kids in other states have of attending LDS Seminary either before or after school. And, while this is admittedly conjecture, I do doubt that if another faith were to request a special plot for their seminary that they would run into quite as much accommodation.

No, there is not technically anything illegal or shady about it, but it does peeve me a bit that the LDS church has enough local power that they are able to work with the public school districts in order to make this a thing - then again when you attend a district like Davis School District where 85% of the kids at my high school attended seminary, if the district tried to change things the parents would be outraged, so much of the church's power rests locally with parents in this situation.

I don't know - to relate it to the thread topic - if you move here your kids will have an extra period in high school which they don't need to complete for graduation. They can use that extra period to take another class, or sign up for released time and learn whatever they want. I think you can even go home an hour early and study. Come to think of it, this is actually a pretty sweet deal - I wish I'd have used it for learning things that were actually useful instead of memorizing 100 scripture masteries, 25 of them from Brother Pratt (He taught at a Davis County high school in 2002).

Old 01-23-2017, 02:26 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Scouts in Utah are an extension of the lds church. Be careful the troop you enter as likely your boys or daughters may receive amount of religious influence or discussion. Not necessarily bad but just good to be informed of the affiliation.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,641 times
Default Texan in Utah!

I am also from Texas, with deep Bluebonnet roots that go back to the mid 1800s. I grew up with that deep south understanding of the Bible belt. I grew up with the idea that everything was best and big in Texas! Now having transferred for my husbands career four times to different states, Utah is my favorite place to live.

I have lived in Utah since 2000 and have loved every minute of it! Utah offers so much more than most states with indoor and outdoor year-round activities. The four seasons are amazing and so are the people. I work with people of all religions and I have friends from all as well. I think people choose to work with me because of the quality of service I provide, not because of my religious background. I also worked for a private LDS owned architectural firm where I was treated with respect, appreciated, and valued as a employee.

I have had four kids grow up in the public school system and am very familiar with LDS Seminary. One thing you should know is, release time is offered to all public school students. We went to a church that picked up kids who wanted to participate and took them to our church for release time in which they participated in their own Bible study.

I love our neighborhoods here because there is a sense of care, know matter where it roots from. If I knew and understood Utah culture twenty years ago, the way I do now, I wouldn't hesitate about moving to Salt Lake. There are definitely more diverse areas than others, but you can do your due diligence and figure that out by visiting different cities among the county, what works for you. At the end of the day, it all comes down to what is important to you personally, right?

If you are worried about crime... there are some great websites to help you understand the different areas such as [url]www.neighborhoodscout.com[/url], [url]www.crimemapping.com[/url], [url]www.utah.gov[/url] to name a few. If you are looking in Draper, understand that there is a prison located here that is moving in three years and the reports will show an astronomical amount of rapist, pedophiles, etc because of the prison.

Sundays in Utah are fabulous! Everyone has a day off, if they want it! This is my favorite day to shop or go to the movies. The highways always seem bare, but we found this was a great time to teach our kids how to drive after they received their permits.

Good luck ALL!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-05-2017 at 07:35 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 03:08 PM

5 posts, read 5,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raeanne.stranc View Post
I am also from Texas, with deep Bluebonnet roots that go back to the mid 1800s. I grew up with that deep south understanding of the Bible belt. I grew up with the idea that everything was best and big in Texas! Now having transferred for my husbands career four times to different states, Utah is my favorite place to live.

I have lived in Utah since 2000 and have loved every minute of it! Utah offers so much more than most states with indoor and outdoor year-round activities. The four seasons are amazing and so are the people. I work with people of all religions and I have friends from all as well. I think people choose to work with me because of the quality of service I provide, not because of my religious background. I also worked for a private LDS owned architectural firm where I was treated with respect, appreciated, and valued as a employee.

I have had four kids grow up in the public school system and am very familiar with LDS Seminary. One thing you should know is, release time is offered to all public school students. We went to a church that picked up kids who wanted to participate and took them to our church for release time in which they participated in their own Bible study.

I love our neighborhoods here because there is a sense of care, know matter where it roots from. If I knew and understood Utah culture twenty years ago, the way I do now, I wouldn't hesitate about moving to Salt Lake. There are definitely more diverse areas than others, but you can do your due diligence and figure that out by visiting different cities among the county, what works for you. At the end of the day, it all comes down to what is important to you personally, right?

If you are worried about crime... there are some great websites to help you understand the different areas such as www.neighborhoodscout.com, www.crimemapping.com, www.utah.gov to name a few. If you are looking in Draper, understand that there is a prison located here that is moving in three years and the reports will show an astronomical amount of rapist, pedophiles, etc because of the prison.

Sundays in Utah are fabulous! Everyone has a day off, if they want it! This is my favorite day to shop or go to the movies. The highways always seem bare, but we found this was a great time to teach our kids how to drive after they received their permits.

Good luck ALL!
Great post!
I to am originally from Texas and now in Los Angeles... at some point in between I lived in Salt Lake City ( and numerous other places ) and would love to get back there now, your post just makes me want to speed that up all the more! Employment
Unfortunately taking more time than I would like to find employment out there.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:50 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raeanne.stranc View Post

If you are worried about crime... there are some great websites to help you understand the different areas such as Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed, www.crimemapping.com, www.utah.gov to name a few. If you are looking in Draper, understand that there is a prison located here that is moving in three years and the reports will show an astronomical amount of rapist, pedophiles, etc because of the prison.

Good luck ALL!
I enjoyed your post very much and feel encouraged by it. I'm moving from TX to SLC, UT in the very near future (flying out this weekend to look at houses). Hub has already started his job there, so I'm eager to get settled in and start enjoying our new life there.

Last edited by Yac; 08-02-2017 at 07:06 AM..

Old 07-07-2017, 07:39 AM

28,093 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I enjoyed your post very much and feel encouraged by it. I'm moving from TX to SLC, UT in the very near future (flying out this weekend to look at houses). Hub has already started his job there, so I'm eager to get settled in and start enjoying our new life there.
I hope you're still considering stopping by the Salt Lake City Visitors Center. I would love to meet you and have several items that you might find useful.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:39 AM

163 posts, read 318,410 times
Default Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Scouts in Utah are an extension of the lds church. Be careful the troop you enter as likely your boys or daughters may receive amount of religious influence or discussion. Not necessarily bad but just good to be informed of the affiliation.
Every LDS church has its own Boy Scout troops, but other churches and organizations sponsor them as well. As a general rule, they do not support Girl Scout troops. Instead, the LDS church offers its own program called Young Womens. As a result, there are far more Boy Scouts in Utah than Girl Scouts. My son participated in an active troop sponsored by another church. My daughters troop was thru a local community center.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:00 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
I thought I saw in the news that LDS is backing out of the BSA program and instituting a program of their own?

Sorry, I guess it's just the programs for older scouts:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/11/health...rnd/index.html

Old 07-07-2017, 03:28 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I hope you're still considering stopping by the Salt Lake City Visitors Center. I would love to meet you and have several items that you might find useful.
Yes! I've told my husband I need to reserve a little time on Tues or Wed afternoon for the visitors center! What hours will you be there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area