Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:40 AM

21 posts, read 94,498 times

Advertisements

I would not stress the mormons. They are really very nice people. I'm sure you'll find if you come here with a non-judgemental, open mind that others will show you the same respect. I assure you my life style is more risque than just an unwed thirty year old (which I also am) and I assure you my neighbors know it. I have never met any sort of predjudice based on my lifestyle choices. And if I do I will also speak up for myself, but really it's never been an issue. I don't hide who I am and neither do the people in my community. I am totally a jean and t-shirt girl and so are the vast majority of people who live here. I think catrinac is insecure and it's unfortunate that she has so much built up anger that she is redirecting in the wrong direction. I really did not want to play into her game, but if you are you need to know your mistaken. With that said you should really find what you are looking for on the ski hill here. There is a great mix of people up there. That's where our core group of friends has developed. Also you may find that Park City is more your cup of tea. I have not spent musch time there but have also been told that Park City and Heeber are lively, liberal communities.

Last edited by jollygirl; 12-12-2007 at 12:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 09:18 AM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygirl View Post
I would not stress the mormons. They are really very nice people. I'm sure you'll find if you come here with a non-judgemental, open mind that others will show you the same respect. I assure you my life style is more risque than just an unwed thirty year old (which I also am) and I assure you my neighbors know it. I have never met any sort of predjudice based on my lifestyle choices. And if I do I will also speak up for myself, but really it's never been an issue. I don't hide who I am and neither do the people in my community. I am totally a jean and t-shirt girl and so are the vast majority of people who live here. I think catrinac is insecure and it's unfortunate that she has so much built up anger that she is redirecting in the wrong direction. I really did not want to play into her game, but if you are you need to know your mistaken. With that said you should really find what you are looking for on the ski hill here. There is a great mix of people up there. That's where our core group of friends has developed. Also you may find that Park City is more your cup of tea. I have not spent musch time there but have also been told that Park City and Heeber are lively, liberal communities.
Thanks, I'm really not too worried about the Mormons at all. I think there are a lot of positives re: the Mormon influence, such as it being a relatively safe city. I much prefer that over influences in NJ that I look forward to escaping from! Overall, SLC sounds like a great place to live, so even without yet having seen it, I am pretty confident that once I do I will decide definitely to move there. The only thing with Park City is it is more expensive, and I doubt I could find work up there, but I look forward to living near it at least!

Old 12-14-2007, 11:10 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
I've posted this before, but I'll repeat. The biggest downer about SLC is not the people who live there--I have no qualms about that. It's the AIR POLLUTION. It can be bad in the winter. Several times in the last 25 years, I have considered moving to SLC for career purposes--the main thing that has dissuaded me is SLC's poor air quality in the winter. (I have allergies, etc. that air pollution greatly aggrevates.) If it weren't for that, SLC would probably be my top urban area in the US to consider as a place to live. Check this photo that someone posted on flickr to see what I mean:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=382943893&size=o (broken link) .

Old 12-14-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I've posted this before, but I'll repeat. The biggest downer about SLC is not the people who live there--I have no qualms about that. It's the AIR POLLUTION. It can be bad in the winter. Several times in the last 25 years, I have considered moving to SLC for career purposes--the main thing that has dissuaded me is SLC's poor air quality in the winter. (I have allergies, etc. that air pollution greatly aggrevates.) If it weren't for that, SLC would probably be my top urban area in the US to consider as a place to live. Check this photo that someone posted on flickr to see what I mean:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=382943893&size=o (broken link) .
wow, that's just pollution? It looks like fog or something, also... That is a bummer, but if that's the biggest drawback I think I can live w/ it. The other place I had seriously considered was Sacramento, CA, which has the same problem. But SLC seems like a better place for a single person. I don't have allergies or anything, so shouldn't be too much of an issue for me. Is is better if you live in the foothills, like Cottonwood area? I think a lot of the time I will be outdoors for extended time will probably be in the mountains anyway.

I have the option of moving anywhere I want, I have no ties right now. Every place has it's "cons". My first stipulation is being near or in a decent sized city in the rockies or west of them, and the 2nd is being reasonably close to the mountains and great skiing. The 3rd is not too much rain, so no Portland or Seattle. Denver has too many negatives (too big, traffic to get to the skiing, and it also has pollution). Boise, I think is too isolated. So I can't think of any place that would be better overall than SLC.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:30 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
wow, that's just pollution? It looks like fog or something, also... That is a bummer, but if that's the biggest drawback I think I can live w/ it. The other place I had seriously considered was Sacramento, CA, which has the same problem. But SLC seems like a better place for a single person. I don't have allergies or anything, so shouldn't be too much of an issue for me. Is is better if you live in the foothills, like Cottonwood area? I think a lot of the time I will be outdoors for extended time will probably be in the mountains anyway.

I have the option of moving anywhere I want, I have no ties right now. Every place has it's "cons". My first stipulation is being near or in a decent sized city in the rockies or west of them, and the 2nd is being reasonably close to the mountains and great skiing. The 3rd is not too much rain, so no Portland or Seattle. Denver has too many negatives (too big, traffic to get to the skiing, and it also has pollution). Boise, I think is too isolated. So I can't think of any place that would be better overall than SLC.
I don't live in Salt Lake, but I have been going there for years on business and I have friends there. It seems I wind up going there more often in winter, and that is when you see the "inversion." Air inversions are not uncommon at all in winter in mountain valleys in the Intermountain West--a lot of towns have them. SLC's can be especially strong, and when pollution mixes with the fog off of the Great Salt Lake, it's pretty bad. As the photo I linked to shows, there is a definite level that the inversion seeks. The locals know it, and real estate values reflect it. Houses on "the benches" above the inversion layer sell for a definite premium over those below it.

By the way, if you want to see something frightening, look at some historical photos of SLC taken when the town was mostly coal-heated. The air could be practically black in winter.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:12 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,688 times
Lightbulb this place has made me more insecure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygirl View Post
I would not stress the mormons. They are really very nice people. I think catrinac is insecure and it's unfortunate that she has so much built up anger that she is redirecting in the wrong direction.
See the plastic surgery thread. I posted my story on there which should fill in the missing details. I hope you never have to endure such discrimination.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:32 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,600 times
I would not recommend moving to Sandy. It's relatively expensive compared to other suburbs, and there is the stereotypical "mormon" feeling to the city.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:57 PM

6 posts, read 25,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
that although Salt Lake proper is not heavily LDS, the Mormon influence is not entirely possible to escape, irregardless of what people say. I am 37 & childless and have been subtly harassed all over town, including the much ballyhooed Sugar House. The Mormons do have a distinct prejudice against unmarried childless females because it goes against some belief they have about eternal families and the great plan of life, etc. They are not big on championing other people's rights and freedoms. I would encourage you to dress up and look nice everywhere you go, at all times, and be prepared to put up with disapproving reactions, especially if you dare to go places by yourself. You may be harassed and accused as being a lesbian, even if you are in fact very straight. The suspicion the Mormons have towards unmarried older females is extreme and it does pervade all areas of town, not just the suburbs. I have dealt with this continually everywhere I've gone and it never ceases to amaze me the way people in Utah treat total strangers. I moved here in the midst of a mid life crisis at age 34 and have gone through a series of life changing experiences that are causing me to want to be by myself most of the time. Your experience of Utah may be very different and I genuinely hope it is. I have not found my niche here and have found the social issues very hard to deal with. If you at all value your privacy or are a natural loner do not move to Utah.
I didn't find any problems with being single, aside from others wanting me to share the happiness they feel. But my friends who are now single (50's) don't really feel the pressure. I've gone loads of places by myself because my husband can't and have never found much problem.

I'm sorry "Catrinac" has felt that way. I have friends who aren't LDS and most of them do just fine. Maybe it depends upon being more sensitive to perceived emotions. . . .

Old 05-28-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartwrily View Post
I didn't find any problems with being single, aside from others wanting me to share the happiness they feel. But my friends who are now single (50's) don't really feel the pressure. I've gone loads of places by myself because my husband can't and have never found much problem.

I'm sorry "Catrinac" has felt that way. I have friends who aren't LDS and most of them do just fine. Maybe it depends upon being more sensitive to perceived emotions. . . .
I don't think her experience was typical, based on what others have to say. I started this thread, trying to decide if I wanted to make this move, and have since decided that I am definitely coming to SLC, probably in August. I am coming mostly for the outdoor rec., skiing and scenery, and I have never heard anyone else moving for these reasons say they have had a bad experience in UT., single or not. I am hoping thee activities will be helpful in developing a social life, since I am moving alone & don't know anyone.

I think you may be right about the sensitivity issue - I don't really care what anyone else thinks of me, and probably wouldn't even notice subtle looks of disapproval if they occurred.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Default photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post

Flickr Photo Download: Inversion Layer -- Smoggy Day in Salt Lake City, Utah (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=382943893&size=o - broken link) .
Open this photo in a full-view and scroll to the right to see the problem. Otherwise, in a small view and not scrolling, yuoui'll miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area