Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 7,697 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I am moving to SLC for the summer to do an internship with Tesoro Corporation. I am a 23 year old college student from the University of Texas at San Antonio.

I will be working at the SLC Tesoro Refinery beginning May 19th

I am looking for an apartment for 3 months and am wondering where a good area would be? I want to live somewhat close to work, but I would like to be able to go out and do fun stuff at night/weekends in SLC or the surrounding area.

Anything will help. I am trying to stay away from any Extended Stays or corporate suites since I must maintain a budget while I am there. Anything helps! Thanks

Also, what are some popular attractions I might be interested in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 03:25 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
If you're only going to be here 3 months, I'd suggest finding a room to rent. That will be more gentle on your budget and perhaps you could find roommates to show you the sites.

It can get above 100 degrees here during the summer months, but unlike Texas, the humidity levels are very low. Make sure you rent a place with central a/c or a evaporative (swamp) cooler...or rent a room in a basement to stay cool.

The zip code to the refinery is 84103 which might help in your housing search. Here's a link to our local NBC affiliate's website which has a classified ads section for housing. Look through this and see if anything suits your needs/budget.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:34 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
Check KSL.com (local classifieds) for rooms to rent. Lots of university students that will leave for the summer and be back in Fall. I'm sure some of those rooms might work out for you. If possible try to live in Salt Lake City. Nothing is really "far" from anywhere in SLC. Downtown and Sugarhouse are the best when it comes to hip and fun. I'd avoid Rose Park and Glendale as they are considered a bit on the rough side, but in reality, it's Salt Lake. "Rough" is a pretty relative term. If you want fun, avoid the suburbs like the plague. North Salt Lake, Bountiful, Centerville, Woods Cross, West Valley, West Jordan.. while nice family communities that aren't too far from the Tesoro refinery, I wouldn't exactly consider any of them havens of fun for a young single person. If you don't mind a commute Ogden can be fun and Provo can be fun (if you're Mormon) but really, my advice as a 28 year old Utah native - live in Salt Lake City.

In fact here's a link
Rentler Listings | ksl.com

Old 04-15-2014, 07:08 PM

762 posts, read 2,118,635 times
Stick with 84103, 84102, 84111, or 84111 ZIP codes in your search if you want to be relatively close to work AND be able to walk or bike to bars, restaurants, outdoor festivals and concerts, etc. You'll definitely want to be in downtown SLC.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the information everyone. Also, I don't find myself to be a religious person but my parents are both Catholics. I do believe there is a god or a more powerful being but choose not to tie myself to a specific religious group. I have noticed most university housing follow LDS standards. Can someone tell me what exactly these standards are? Thanks

Old 04-16-2014, 08:26 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
Haha, if you enjoy being a young single adult, you probably do NOT want to live somewhere that adheres closely to LDS standards. This implies they don't want you drinking at home, having girls stay the night or involving yourself in any way with certain herbs; however, it's more based on who your roommates are than the apartment complex. If your roommates are cool and don't mind you having girls over and having beer in the fridge... you don't need to worry about the LDS standards thing. I had laid back roommates in college and those things were never an issue to any of us when they happened, and they frequently did. (and I'm LDS, so it's not like we're all uptight religious zealots.. there's just a few of them.. and you'll meet them..).

Old 04-16-2014, 10:04 AM

121 posts, read 190,620 times
Did you check with the HR department at the refinery? They should be able to give you some ideas as well.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:21 AM

yes, they just sent me a list of some extended stay Americas and local hotels. I was also provided with a relocation company but they haven't been much help. I'm currently just searching through local classified ads hoping to find a apartment someone is leasing out this summer.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 AM

I've noticed a lot of local rooms for rent but there are 7 other guys in the house, as well. I guess I find that a bit strange being from Texas.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:28 AM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_H View Post
I have noticed most university housing follow LDS standards. Can someone tell me what exactly these standards are? Thanks
I think you need to keep looking. I seriously can't imagine that most housing near the "U" is like that. There would be a whole lot of homeless university students if that were the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area