Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,965 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are tinkering with the idea of moving from Northern California to SLC and, I have to admit, I'm hesitant. My husband is currently finishing his fellowship at Stanford and has an opportunity at the University of Utah.

We're a mixed racial family (I'm Asian-American and he is Caucasian) and our children are, of course, bi-racial. I'm curious to know if there are any other bi-racial, non-LDS families in this group that wouldn't mind sharing their experiences of moving to SLC from a racially diverse town. I'd love to hear anyone else's take/perspective on racial diversity issues in SLC.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 09:08 PM

111 posts, read 626,056 times
We're a mixed family too. I'm of Filipino descent and my husband is Caucasian. Our 3 kids are obviously a mix too. You didn't say what Asian nationality you are but so often, people don't know what race I am...I've had people think I'm Hawaiian as well as Hispanic but there are quite a few that know I'm Filipino.

We are LDS but I think most people I see on the street don't assume I am since I'm not the blond-hair / blue-eyed stereotype. With that being said...nearly everyone I make eye contact with gives me a SMILE and people have been nothing but friendly and welcoming towards us.

I'm sure your kids are also gorgeous like mine (of course I'm biased ) and my little 3-year old literally stops people dead on their tracks and they tell me and her how cute and adorable she is. This happens almost everyday both in downtown (I seriously lost track of how many people commented about her at the Gateway last week) as well as here in "white bread" Bountiful.

And I really think it's because she doesn't look like all the other toddlers here in Utah so while the kids may "stand out" a bit, it's all in a very good way. So, yes...you will get attention simply because you and your family look different but as long as you have a positive attitude and a smile on your face, people here will be just as warm and welcoming to your family as they have been to ours.

Now...I have to say, coming from Southern California where you AVOID eye contact with strangers, I had to get used to making eye contact AND smiling (instead of looking away as was my habit) when I see people in public. It took a few weeks but now I'm used to it. I'll have to say, it just makes life much more pleasant!

There are more racially diverse areas in Utah than where I live in Bountiful and in Utah County.

In Layton (further north), the Hill Air Force Base brings in quite a few more races...going to the mall up there was like going to a mall in Southern California. It felt more diverse in Sandy as well as of course downtown SLC.

While Bountiful is predominantly white, I have been very impressed by how many "white" families have adopted children from other countries. It's not uncommon to see white parents of a black, Hispanic, or Asian child. Two of the families in our LDS congregation have adopted from different countries. One has adopted a little girl from Guatemala and is awaiting another. Another family adopted a cute little black girl from Pennsylvania but is actually now in Haiti bringing Christmas presents to 2 more kids they are waiting to adopt (but they can't bring them home yet ). Our best friends' neighbor in St. George adopted several kids from Haiti too.

Last edited by BuhByeCalifornia; 12-12-2007 at 09:18 PM..

Old 12-12-2007, 09:10 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,674 times
My wife is half Hawaiian. No problems for her, except sometimes people try to speak Spanish to her.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:22 PM

111 posts, read 626,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
My wife is half Hawaiian. No problems for her, except sometimes people try to speak Spanish to her.

LOL...that happens to me too, Coolcats! But that happened MORE in Los Angeles than here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area