Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 4,927 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Salt Lake City (husband's job) this summer and need advice on schools. My youngest son will be starting high school (9th grade) this fall. I have heard Park City H.S. is very good academically but has some problems (drugs, etc). I was also looking at private schools in SLC (AMES, BSTA, Judge Memorial, etc). He is very math/science dominant so maybe one of the private schools that specialize in that might be better? We are leaving a topnotch public school in the suburbs of KC so I am of course worried that we continue the same in UT! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 11:38 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Judge has an outstanding reputation. I know faithful LDS families who sent their sons there. Never heard of the others. West High has an IB program if he can get admitted

Old 05-30-2014, 01:47 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
AMES is actually a public charter school and not a private school, so getting him in there would be luck of the draw, literally.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:18 PM

762 posts, read 2,118,877 times
AMES is also exceptional when it comes to science and math (it's the whole reason for its existence), so it may be worth trying anyway. Just have a back up plan...

Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 AM

Good to know...thanks for your input! Any thoughts on the public schools in SLC and Park City?

Old 05-31-2014, 02:02 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car ar View Post
Good to know...thanks for your input! Any thoughts on the public schools in SLC and Park City?
What age? Anything unique needed, such as special needs?

Juan Diego has students of many religions. It is in a more affluent part of the valley, but scholarships are available.

MSR

Old 05-31-2014, 03:08 PM

My son is going into 9th...very strong in math and science. Leaving a really good school here in KC. We would definitely consider private if public schools are not up to par.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:11 PM

Default JR. High

Quote:
Originally Posted by car ar View Post
My son is going into 9th...very strong in math and science. Leaving a really good school here in KC. We would definitely consider private if public schools are not up to par.
Ninth grade is Jr. High then changing to a different H.S. How well does he do with changing studentbodies? You can select your own public school. Sometimes, those in 9th grade do not end up in high school together.

I don't feel comfortable speaking to Park City's public school. Many students attend private in in the SLC Valley. There are strong public schools in math and science. Private emphasizes as well.

I think it's important to make sure your son attends school where he is reasonably close to schoolmates and friends at home. It can be a ways to drive daily, if you have to drive twice for school.

The other factor to be aware of is year round school in some districts. It takes getting use to if you have never done it before.

Are you coming from KC, KS or MO? Curious due to relatives in KC.

MSR

Old 05-31-2014, 10:17 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
9th grade could be high school OR junior high. It just depends on the district. In Tooele County, 9th is high school, but I believe there are a couple in Salt Lake where it is still junior high.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:02 PM

Smile Thanks for the Correction :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
9th grade could be high school OR junior high. It just depends on the district. In Tooele County, 9th is high school, but I believe there are a couple in Salt Lake where it is still junior high.
Thanks kaytidid for catching my error. I appreciate you correcting my info.

When I was reading and thinking Park City or Salt Lake Valley, I didn't think of the growing Tooele area.

Even a greater reason for those thinking about moving visit as soon as they can and ask those questions of the Realtors with whom they work.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area