Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Are you joking? The school should control the curriculum, not the church. Comparative religion, taught by a school teacher, yes. Theology, taught by whoever, I don't think so.
Who better to teach about a religion than the church in question?

Theology taught by a theologian? Great idea IMO

Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd4me View Post
I was raised in SLC and before moving back many friends told me it has changed for the better with regard to its majority religion. Well, I've had so many issues at the public schools as my children are among the only non-mormons that I wish I had never moved here. For example, yesterday my middle schooler brought home instructions & scheduling info for seminary classes (which is basically mormon church held during public school hours at a building next the school. Yes, all the public schools have these buildings.). The instructions were printed on the school's letterhead and handed out by the head counselor so my son assumed it was endorsed by the school and he wanted the "easy A". After checking the Utah Constitution I discovered that this activity is illegal but forcing the school and principal to abide by state law is difficult when they're all mormon. They simply disagree and I'll have to fight it in court. Yes I would probably win but my children would face a hardship being ostracized by their friends and our community.

Utah has beautiful mountains and the outdoorsy types love it, but if I could do it over again I would never have left Los Angeles. The cost of living is low so once you adjust, it's hard to get back out. Utah is a great place to visit!
It is state support of religion. What if the child wants to take Wicca instead? Or simply nothing? I have some issues with the "easy A" as well.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
It is state support of religion. .
In Utah, I would expect this -

But, the key to me is the overall academic training - are they getting a good one? If so - then, no harm.

I also support vouchers - just for clarification

Old 01-30-2008, 08:08 PM

Why is it OK in Utah? Would it be OK in Pittsburgh, for kids to go off to the local Catholic church for a course in Catholic theology that they would get public school credit for? (There are about as many Catholics in Pittsburgh as Mormons in SLC.) Would it be OK for some other kids to go to the synagogue for a course in Jewish theology at the same time, and learn that what the Catholic kids are being taught isn't true? (Note, I am not expressing my beliefs here, just the prinicipls of these religions.) This is not "comparative religion", which is taught in public school in Colorado. This is theology, taught as the truth. The state, any state, should not support this.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-30-2008 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Change Utah to SLC

Old 01-30-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Why is it OK in Utah? Would it be OK in Pittsburgh, for kids to go off to the local Catholic church for a course in Catholic theology that they would get public school credit for?
I must tell you that, this occurs in a number of states.

Been going on in Arizona for many, many years.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:11 PM

Not in Pennsylvania, where I went to school, nor Colorado, where my kids went. Religious education belongs in the home and the church, IMO.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:58 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times
I don't believe that they get a grade....though they might get a citizenship/participation grade...

Old 01-30-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
my son assumed it was endorsed by the school and he wanted the "easy A"
Apparently they do get a grade at that school.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:53 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times
Quote:
Are you joking? The school should control the curriculum, not the church. Comparative religion, taught by a school teacher, yes. Theology, taught by whoever, I don't think so.
There is no school credit given for LDS seminary.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:25 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,523,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
There is no school credit given for LDS seminary.
Utah schools cooperate with the LDS Church and provide time for students to attend seminary, unlike most other states. In California, at least where I lived, LDS students attended seminary between 6 and 7 in the morning at the local ward building and then went to school.

In addition, many colleges and universities both in and outside of Utah have LDS Institute programs, which are college level LDS religious studies programs. My junior college in California had an Institute. It was immediately adjacent to the main campus but was a Church owned building on Church property. One could earn academic credit for attending Institute classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area