Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 05:29 AM

2 posts, read 15,252 times

Advertisements

I know Salt Lake City is the home of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. If one is not LDS but are Christian, what is it like living in Salt Lake City? I've heard LDS pretty much control the area and that kinda worried me. Is it an issue at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 07:09 AM

49 posts, read 102,299 times
Personal experience: it impacts kids more than adults so it'd be helpful to know more about your family dynamics. Who's moving?

Also, what specifically about somewhere being "LDS controlled" gives you concern? What have you heard or what do you think will be an issue? There are good things that come with the LDS prevalence - not just negatives. My "negatives" or frustrations could include things you'd find positive and vice versus.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 15,252 times
It's just my wife and I, no kids.

I'd heard that there could be work place retaliation if one isn't LDS, etc. I know that's illegal but there are ways around the legalities. I know LDS tend to be very nice but just wasn't sure if they were in a position of authority over you (supervisor-subordinate relationship) how that might work.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 AM

120 posts, read 166,512 times
Great, so I typed you a long thought out reply and the internet crashed so when I hit send it went nowhere. Let me try again.....

I won't lie, workplace discrimination does happen and can happen based on religion. I would say moreso in the heavily LDS areas then SLC. Although if you are in the tech field it is a non issue as most tech companies came from elsewhere, they sent their HR people to do the hiring and those places are all pretty diverse. So while discrimination CAN happen there isn't a guarantee it WILL happen. I wouldn't be overly concerned by it, like I said that isn't typical of the Salt Lake area. That's more of a Provo and Logan type thing.

As for outside the workplace? Yeah, the Mormons founded the state and are still like 65% of Utah, so there is an influence. I generally would say if you come ready to butt heads with the LDS you are going to butt heads. If you come with an open mind and an aura of adaptability you won't have an issue. As a non Christian living in Utah County, AKA the Mormon Mecca, I can tell you the "horror" stories are vastly overplayed. Of course you said you want to be in the Salt Lake area, which is more like a mini Denver. There are Mormons.... As well as Jews, Muslims, Baptists, Buddhists, Methodists, Wiccans and even Atheists. In other words other than a massive Gothic looking LDS Temple sitting downtown among hi-rises the rest of the valley has diversity and is constantly becoming more diverse.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:48 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentndude2 View Post
It's just my wife and I, no kids.

I'd heard that there could be work place retaliation if one isn't LDS, etc. I know that's illegal but there are ways around the legalities. I know LDS tend to be very nice but just wasn't sure if they were in a position of authority over you (supervisor-subordinate relationship) how that might work.
If you were working for a small, family-owned-and-run business, there could conceivably be problems. Otherwise, I think you're worrying needlessly. There were about 100 employees in the company I worked for during the last 14 years before I retired. The president of the company was LDS. The vice president was Catholic. My immediate supervisor was not religious at all. I am LDS. I'd guess that about half of the employees were LDS, just based on things I'd hear in conversations, but religion honestly didn't make a single bit of difference to anyone. Religion NEVER came into play when there were promotions, demotions, etc. I really think that would be your experience, too.

Incidentally, the only time I ever encountered religion coming into play was when I once applied for a job where the management were all LDS. In an interview, I was asked a question that was clearly intended to determine my religion. I was annoyed as could be, but since I was LDS, I answered the question in such a way that the interviewer knew I was. I figured that would give me an edge. And guess what? I didn't get the job.

My only advice to you would be that -- regardless of how you may personally feel -- you not make a point of telling any LDS people at work or elsewhere that they aren't Christians. We most definitely consider ourselves to be Christians, and comments like that just tend to hurt and alienate. Incidentally, we would consider you to be Christians, too, even if there are some differences in our beliefs.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:18 PM

49 posts, read 102,299 times
Thank you for the additional information.

I have worked for multiple companies. Some have a more LDS culture than others. I have never felt I had to be "more proper" or that the protocols of how you should behave were heightened. I also have never personally seen an instance where I thought someone was specifically promoted or "in the club" based on religion. The office gossip when someone has been promoted and people don't think it was warranted is the same "they kiss up, they're friends with so and so" that you see everywhere. As far as religion, the only time I really heard that be a complaint was when I was younger doing call center work. It was (probably still is) common for return missionaries to be hired in as entry management. Many people don't love being told what to do by someone who's never done the job - that's universal though.

I will say that Utah is a state where most people tend not to leave - and if they leave, they want to come back badly enough that they will take a pay cut to do so. When you combine a strong desire to be here with a population that values education, you will see a competitive job market with wages that may be lower than you expect. That's (IMO) more of what I'd take into consideration than how religion will come into play.

One last thought - Glassdoor is a very good site to check out if you start narrowing in on a specific company. There will usually be hints within those reviews that can help guide you towards an office that is more "diverse."

Old 06-22-2017, 08:19 AM

120 posts, read 166,512 times
Ahh yes, the staple of Provo/Orem employers, the RM straight to Management pipeline. Dealibg with that now myself, my wmployer recruits solely via BYU for RM's. It sucks when you're training 21 year olds making more than you right outa the gate to be promoted above you! What's worse is an IT department full of BYU interns developing your company software with 1-2 semesters of Education on how to do that under their belts. We spend more time down while IT tries to fix bugs and figure out repairs than getting work done most days.

Like I said though, never had an issue in the Salt Lake area and I am job hunting as we speak for a job in Lehi or further North.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:50 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
Ahh yes, the staple of Provo/Orem employers, the RM straight to Management pipeline. Dealibg with that now myself, my wmployer recruits solely via BYU for RM's. It sucks when you're training 21 year olds making more than you right outa the gate to be promoted above you! What's worse is an IT department full of BYU interns developing your company software with 1-2 semesters of Education on how to do that under their belts. We spend more time down while IT tries to fix bugs and figure out repairs than getting work done most days.

Like I said though, never had an issue in the Salt Lake area and I am job hunting as we speak for a job in Lehi or further North.
Hmmm ... , and you are still working there ?

Why ?

Old 06-22-2017, 07:57 PM

163 posts, read 318,218 times
I think it's true that there are managers (LDS or not) who like to promote in their own image, but in my experience, overt religious discrimination is not common.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:04 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
You'll be fine... I'm the least religious person and live in a 90%+ lds slc burb (Bountiful). Many of my neighbors are wonderful people. Too may upsides to name living amongst them with little downside. Sunday grocery shopping is the best ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area