Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 04:51 PM

199 posts, read 255,653 times

Advertisements

Hi City Data friends!

I need help! Our Rocky Mountain Power electric bill for 30 days is $740! What? Even on the hottest of days (98-100 degrees with 98% humidity) in Florida, our monthly bill was only $350. And that was in a 1700 sq. ft single-family home with four people. We now have three people in a small 2 bed/1.5 bath townhome apartment. Our apartment complex even agreed that this is an exorbitant bill.

I've called RMP and they are analyzing our bill to see what might be pulling power. I suspect it is the ancient air-conditioning unit in this apartment. It ran for several days non-stop and wasn't cooling. It eventually (after 2 days of this) broke and maintenance came and "fixed" it. I haven't compared the price per unit for KWHs between Florida and Utah.

Do I have any recourse as a renter? There is absolutely no way we used that much electricity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 06:16 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybug View Post
Hi City Data friends!

I need help! Our Rocky Mountain Power electric bill for 30 days is $740! What? Even on the hottest of days (98-100 degrees with 98% humidity) in Florida, our monthly bill was only $350. And that was in a 1700 sq. ft single-family home with four people. We now have three people in a small 2 bed/1.5 bath townhome apartment. Our apartment complex even agreed that this is an exorbitant bill.

I've called RMP and they are analyzing our bill to see what might be pulling power. I suspect it is the ancient air-conditioning unit in this apartment. It ran for several days non-stop and wasn't cooling. It eventually (after 2 days of this) broke and maintenance came and "fixed" it. I haven't compared the price per unit for KWHs between Florida and Utah.

Do I have any recourse as a renter? There is absolutely no way we used that much electricity!
Offhand, I'd say there is definitely something wrong and will be resolved soon. There is no way on earth a bill like that could be legitimate. Let us know when you get the good news.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:24 PM

Thanks Katzpur! I was hoping for that answer . I was a bit flabbergasted! I know I don't have to take to City Data for every question, but I thought maybe there was some explanation I was missing since so much in the west is different from the east for varying reasons.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:15 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
our AC (a top line Carrier 97% efficient unit) has been running non stop since about mid May. We've never gone over $112 yet. Not bad for a 3600 sq. foot upper/lower arrangement. It just get's lower as the winter approaches. yeah, I'd say their meter is broken or someone is completely misreading it.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
our AC (a top line Carrier 97% efficient unit) has been running non stop since about mid May. We've never gone over $112 yet. Not bad for a 3600 sq. foot upper/lower arrangement. It just get's lower as the winter approaches. yeah, I'd say their meter is broken or someone is completely misreading it.
Thank you, dcisive! Yes, I would say that is quite a difference between square footage and expense! It's the craziest bill I have ever seen. Thank you for the comparison. I thought I might be losing my mind. Lol!

Old 08-01-2017, 02:34 PM

338 posts, read 310,633 times
Sounds like a decimal needs to be moved over, or something. We moved here a month ago and our first bill from Rocky Mountain Power was less than $60. That was a full billing cycle for 1,000 square feet, including the first month's connection fee.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:10 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,478 times
When you sign up for rocky mountain power, I believe there is some deposit you have to pay, that is refunded after paying on time for 2 months.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:02 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
When you sign up for rocky mountain power, I believe there is some deposit you have to pay, that is refunded after paying on time for 2 months.
Yeah, but $740? I think there's obviously been a mistake.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:45 PM

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! It is definitely not a deposit, although that would make more sense had it been. The power company said it was this high in July of 2015 as well, but they have not completed a review on exactly from where that much electricity is currently pulling. My guess is the AC. There are no fans, very few lights. We use a tiny box fan in the bedroom, and that's about it. Our dishwasher is also ancient, so this could be an issue.

Our complex's management just posted a note on all of the tenants doors with a notice about high bills this time of month and how to keep them down. I can't help but to feel that it seems negligent not to make people aware that they aren't going to update appliances and this will result in astronomical bills; but, one could, argue, that I should have done my due diligence by checking this out with the power company before signing a lease. I just would never have imagined that an electric bill could rise to $740 during a 30-day span, especially since Rocky Mountain Power is documented as being less expensive that Florida Power & Light.

Needless to say I'm feeling a bit discouraged and hoping there will be some sort of acceptable and affordable resolution.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:07 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
It has to be an error I don't have my power bill in front of me but does your bill show a spike in usage? If so it likely is definitely an error as July was hotter than June but not exponentially so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area