Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 07:36 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,510,276 times

Advertisements

Your living in Tampa now. How do you like living in this area, because Houston is going to have similarities. Its hot and humid much of the year. Torrential thunderstorms most days. The constant threat of hurricanes. Mobs and mobs of people, and endless sprawl. Houston is bigger than Tampa Bay. Do you like the crowds of people and traffic here. Cause its worse in Houston.

I'd make your decision based on how you like living in the south. If your comfortable with life in the southeast I'd go with Houston.

Your young so if you want to try a completely different everything I'd go with SLC. If it's a mistake you can probably fix it. You only live once. So try different things.

Personally I like SLC better but I think your concerns are valid. I know my ex employer has a major operation in SLC, though I was based in Atlanta. When we would have employees transferred to SLC, some were not able to adjust. It was to different for them. Some loved it though, its all a personal preference. Remember SLC is a much more outdoors place than Houston is. So culturally SLC might impact you more socially. Houston may give you more social opportunities. Just more diversity of people in Houston.

Its a tough decision I know. If you have qualms about SLC, and you feel they are valid in your case. If you feel less uncertainty with Houston, then maybe that's a better choice

Just make your choice on what is most important to you, as to where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 09:29 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,030,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomofo View Post
Did you ever take a moment to notice the OP's location?
yes I did, smart guy. I'm going out on a limb here by assuming he may not like hurricanes.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
I hate to say this but I think your chances of a social life are better in Houston. For outdoor activities, SLC by a mile! Houston has HORRIBLE humidity, if you are currently near the ocean or gulf, you will notice it a lot.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:59 AM

272 posts, read 184,125 times
Lived in SLC for 6 months, Would choose Utah again. Houston is bigger, so there may be more to do socially as in nightlife and all that jazz. I prefer the weather 100x to Houston, the outdoor life 1000x. While SLC may also be growing, I don't want to be underwater near Houston!

Old 08-05-2018, 01:33 PM

25 posts, read 32,884 times
That's funny, underwater. Could mean currently, sweating so much you are underwater. Or in 100 years after the gulf rises.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:38 PM

272 posts, read 184,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_data View Post
That's funny, underwater. Could mean currently, sweating so much you are underwater. Or in 100 years after the gulf rises.
Don't sweat that much. But the flooding is a little much.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:22 AM

511 posts, read 399,731 times
I have lived in SLC for a while and know the city quite well. First off, Salt Lake or Utah in general lacks the diveristy. It's going to be mostly white and other minority groups that are non-Hispanic will be somewhat hard to find. The minority population there is overwhelmingly Hispanic accounted for around 22%. However, SLC is one of the fastest growing cities in the country (I don't know if that's the case now) and attracts lots of people from across America. As for friendliness, both cities are famous for their friendliness. Personally, despite Houston being known for its Southern hospitality, I find SLC a lot friendlier than Houston. The reason is because Houston is going to have a much larger share of transplants compared to Utah and I find some of them just as rude. The religion is another factor of people in Utah being friendly and welcoming. As far as the outdoor activities, SLC wins by a landslide as other posters have already mentioned. Outdoor activities are basically non-existent in the Houston area unless you consider jogging as an outdoor activity. Geographically speaking, Houston is flat as pancake just like Florida and Southern Louisiana. There are no variations to be found in topography of the area. Oh, did I mention the heat and humidity? It's going to be a lot similar to FL, but without a nice sea breeze you get in FL which not a good addition IMO. All in all, SLC seems to be a better choice. I encourage you to try SLC because the city is absolutely beautiful and offers great outdoor options. Some people get bored really fast in SLC since the nightlife is a big issue, but for a outdoorsy person like you, SLC is the place to live. You might as well look into Denver. It's a lot nicer, larger and more ethnically diverse than SLC. It's also more expensive, though.

Last edited by michaeltx9412; 08-06-2018 at 02:37 AM..

Old 08-06-2018, 07:45 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,355 times
Salt Lake City hands down. Great outdoors city. I have a friend who lives there and is not Mormon and he loves it

Old 08-06-2018, 08:59 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
I should preface my opinion with the fact that I left Alaska decades ago in favor of Wyoming because I thought (rightly so, imho) that Alaska was getting overcrowded. I'm also as white as a snowflake. So there.

Between Houston and SLC? It's not even close. They don't compare. SLC would be my pick by a country mile. As cities go, it's definitely one of the nicest in the the country. Houston? Not so much. When I go to Houston (rarely) I actually feel sorry for its populace. One of my best friends lives there, and he's given me the tour around the city. It does have some nice features, but overall, it's just another concrete jungle with no escape to nature.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:55 PM

25 posts, read 32,884 times
What are the nice features? Dallas had some features, but I did not find any in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area