Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 AM

515 posts, read 2,324,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I just don't get all this Utah driver hate. I've lived in several large cities in this country, and I still think what I've seen here is tame compared to most everywhere else I've lived. Really folks, it's not that bad here. I used to think it was bad before my career had me moving all over the country. Now I appreciate just how good our traffic is compared to other cities.

So yes, we have bad drivers, but it's all relative. There are cities with both much worse drivers and traffic. It could be better, but trust me it could be much, much worse!
I agree with you, having lived in the busiest part of the NYC/NJ metro area for the past 20 years or so... There is a lot less traffic, road rage, and blatantly rude driving than I'm used to. However, drivers here are surprisingly aggressive. But I'm actually sort of glad about that! It's something I'm used to dealing with, and I drive on the aggressive side myself, although I'm not obnoxious about it (don't tailgate, give people the finger, etc.) But I want to GET there, people who putter along right at or below the speed limit make me insane. For a smaller city and much less crowded, busy area, I do find it surprising that it's like this.

For people who prefer to drive slower, that's certainly your right, but if you don't want to pi$$ people off, try to avoid holding up a line of cars behind you. If you put the shoe on the other foot for a minute, it's extremely frustrating when you are trying to reach your destination and people are slowing you down, especially when there is no good reason to be going that slow from a safety standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
I have driven in New York, DC, New Jersey, all over the south and trust me..this driving sucks
It's definitely not worse here, just surprisingly not all that different, aside from there being a lot fewer cars on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 04:50 AM

702 posts, read 1,984,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post

It's definitely not worse here, just surprisingly not all that different, aside from there being a lot fewer cars on the road.
I lived on the east coast for all my life and trust me it is worse here.....no consideration whatsoever on the road...pretty sad someone can't even raise their hand in a gesture of thank you for letting them in

Old 09-09-2008, 09:14 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
For the most part, Utahns are a law-abiding lot. So, most people will be going the speed limit, more or less. I know most people on the interstates are going well above the speed limit, but on surface streets in the city itself, most are going at the speed limit or below it. Don't drive way out in the suburbs much, don't know about them.

I don't mean to be rude, but you are not really qualified to decide what is "safe" in terms of going above the speed limit. That's the kind of thinking that will cause on accident sooner or later (good for you if not yet).

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-09-2008 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-10-2008, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,062 times
Default how stupid can you possibly be?

people who assume that everyone in utah is mormon and doesn't drink or use drugs or whatever are ****ing morons. i assume that you think that everyone in new york city is italian and i the mob right? i myself am a heroin and oxycontin addict, smoke, drink , party, love tattoos, and i was raised in salt lake city. im not saying this because i think i am cool, i am saying this because it is the true reality of the majority of all the 20 somethings in utah. pull your head out of your ass and dont believe everything you hear from other dumb asses like yourself.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:32 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Actually SLC is less than half mormon now and of that percentage there's an even smaller percentage of members who are active in the church. People are rude and obnoxious everywhere and I don't think SLC is any different. Just because SL is known for its religios nature doesn't make it infallible to all the crap in this world. Yes I think sometimes it is worse here because they are people that unfortunately are very hypocritical in the way they live their life. Putting on the good mormon facade on sunday and then acting like you mentioned the rest of the week. Go to Provo though and you might have a different experience...lol
But is it still republican conservative?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:34 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleejane22 View Post
people who assume that everyone in utah is mormon and doesn't drink or use drugs or whatever are ****ing morons. i assume that you think that everyone in new york city is italian and i the mob right? i myself am a heroin and oxycontin addict, smoke, drink , party, love tattoos, and i was raised in salt lake city. im not saying this because i think i am cool, i am saying this because it is the true reality of the majority of all the 20 somethings in utah. pull your head out of your ass and dont believe everything you hear from other dumb asses like yourself.
...When did we ever say this?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:20 PM

Im just wondering why u would admit to being a herion/oxycontin addict...do u need rehab???? ugh...

Old 09-10-2008, 08:18 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleejane22 View Post
Actually Utah is known for being a leader in meth and anti-depression useage, and this forum itself has had many posts on such. No one has said anything of the sort you just spouted off about.

Also, this is the true reality of the majority of all 20 somethings in Utah? You're very wrong. Maybe in your circles this holds true, but the absolute statement you presented is wrong.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:22 PM

What has happened to youngsters anymore???? I wouldn't even imagine taking anything when I was 20 something....can't wait to see what my kids are going to discover when they reach that age..arghhhh

Old 09-10-2008, 08:32 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
What has happened to youngsters anymore???? I wouldn't even imagine taking anything when I was 20 something....can't wait to see what my kids are going to discover when they reach that age..arghhhh
That's one of the reasons Utah is touted as being a great place for families. However, this is becoming less and less true every day. I just barely got out of high school a few months ago and yeah, there were drug users. Yeah, it was only a few people, but they were present. There was a girl in junior high who used marijuana. So, this isn't the little bubble some people say it is. Children will get exposed to stuff like this everywhere, and Utah is no exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area