Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 03:47 AM

396 posts, read 1,275,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
That's one of the reasons Utah is touted as being a great place for families. However, this is becoming less and less true every day. I just barely got out of high school a few months ago and yeah, there were drug users. Yeah, it was only a few people, but they were present. There was a girl in junior high who used marijuana. So, this isn't the little bubble some people say it is. Children will get exposed to stuff like this everywhere, and Utah is no exception.
I heard that Highland High School (which just happens to be where I went) has one of the highest marijuana usage rates of any high school in the country. I mean, it doesn't surprise me at all. Did really only "a few" people at your high school smoke pot and/or do drugs? 'Cause I'd say at Highland that it's at least 40%...

Pot really isn't a bad drug. I don't use it, but it's not going to kill you. It just makes you stupid if you smoke it too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
Nah, what I meant was the girl did Mary Jane in junior high, which is disturbing itself. I'm sure they moved on to much harder drugs in high school. But as for legalizing it, good luck doing that in Utah :P
Not every marijuana user goes on to harder drugs...

Although I guess the earlier you start the more likely you are to experiment with harder drugs (kind of like how the earlier you start drinking the more likely you are to become an alcoholic).
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 07:08 AM

702 posts, read 1,983,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
And I think gambling and drinking is as stupid as I dont know what
It shows a real insensitivity when you insult something like religion. Like was mentioned athere are many dietary restrictions and such in religions that I might think are strange but I would never be so rude as to say it to them.
Yup Im the evil non mormon of this forum..please..do u know how many mormons I have met that drink the caffeine and visit Wendover and still got to ward on Sunday??????? and btw..i dont drink....i gamble yes and the mormons have the law tied up pretty much around here that nothing like that will ever occur in this state because u can't tax it...i have never been in a state that charges different sales tax depending on where u are...wtf is up that????? I go to one city its 7.1% go to another its 9% MAKE UP YOUR MIND...Maryland has one its called 6%..not all this other crap stuck on your bill...

Old 09-14-2008, 08:57 AM

550 posts, read 2,168,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I heard that Highland High School (which just happens to be where I went) has one of the highest marijuana usage rates of any high school in the country. I mean, it doesn't surprise me at all. Did really only "a few" people at your high school smoke pot and/or do drugs? 'Cause I'd say at Highland that it's at least 40%...

Pot really isn't a bad drug. I don't use it, but it's not going to kill you. It just makes you stupid if you smoke it too much.

Not every marijuana user goes on to harder drugs...

Although I guess the earlier you start the more likely you are to experiment with harder drugs (kind of like how the earlier you start drinking the more likely you are to become an alcoholic).
I went to Olympus. "Few," yeah, that's an understatement. Sure, a lot of people experimented with them but not a lot of people (at least from what I heard) did crack or heroin every week; this is what I meant by "few." And even if we set the bar at marijuana, I don't think it would get to 40%, at least not at Oly. But as for marijuana not being a bad drug, well yeah, it might not be bad as some others but a drug is a drug, at least IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
Yup Im the evil non mormon of this forum..please..do u know how many mormons I have met that drink the caffeine and visit Wendover and still got to ward on Sunday??????? and btw..i dont drink....i gamble yes and the mormons have the law tied up pretty much around here that nothing like that will ever occur in this state because u can't tax it...i have never been in a state that charges different sales tax depending on where u are...wtf is up that????? I go to one city its 7.1% go to another its 9% MAKE UP YOUR MIND...Maryland has one its called 6%..not all this other crap stuck on your bill...
The Mormons you refer to are called Jack Mormons; basically, they go to gamble on Saturday and church on Sunday. And a lot of more devout Mormons are very lenient with the "Word of Wisdom" as it's called, which by the way never prohibits caffeine, as far as I know.

I am pretty sure that the whole state charges a 6.6% sales tax.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:46 AM

I looked at my receipt from Smiths..9%...from Starbucks 7.1%....ok explain this

Old 09-14-2008, 10:45 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Food vs non-food item? More non-food at Smith's, i.e., tp, detergent, dog food, magazine, etc?

I have lived in 3 states as an adult and always had different sales tax. There is a state tax but then on top of that there is city tax, which varies by locale. I've lived near a county border where one county is "dry" and the other isn't.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:06 PM

Never in my life have I paid different taxes than sales..no different amounts..straight 6%..some of it taxable some others..but 9% and 7.1% wtf is that ....again another stupid Utah "law"...every state has a different sales tax I understand that..some none at all..but what Im saying is I go to South Jordan I pay different I go to Sandy I pay different.....what about ONE sales tax..not a gazzillion other

Old 09-14-2008, 03:18 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
I'm with SouthernBelle as she explained it exactly as I would ...just the opposite of what you're saying, newtoutah.

Just about every state I've been in, each county and city can add on to the state sales tax. The state will, say, have a 6% tax and then each county can add more and each town or city may have the ability to add even more.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:49 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,165 times
Quote:
Never in my life have I paid different taxes than sales..no different amounts..straight 6%..some of it taxable some others..but 9% and 7.1% wtf is that ....again another stupid Utah "law"...every state has a different sales tax I understand that..some none at all..but what Im saying is I go to South Jordan I pay different I go to Sandy I pay different.....what about ONE sales tax..not a gazzillion other
In New York state there are differences as well, obviously for Manhattan, but even among different counties, I believe, and it's high, higher than here. In NJ there is no sales tax on clothes, which I miss. That, and the cheap gas, which you don't have to pump yourself.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:51 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I'm with SouthernBelle as she explained it exactly as I would ...just the opposite of what you're saying, newtoutah.

Just about every state I've been in, each county and city can add on to the state sales tax. The state will, say, have a 6% tax and then each county can add more and each town or city may have the ability to add even more.
This has been my experience also. I've lived in many different states and cities, and this is common.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:58 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times
Quote:
I looked at my receipt from Smiths..9%...from Starbucks 7.1%....ok explain this
I don't KNOW, only guessing here...

One state I lived in had a "tourism tax", where sales tax was one #, and if it were at a restaurant, or what could be argued to be a tourism-run business, it was a higher tax. So from that I'd guess there are other ways for the gov't to get their's when creative.

I've lived in too many places to keep up with what is taxed, and what that tax is...I grew up in NY and there was no sales tax on food...as far as I know that is the only place I lived that had that clause?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area