Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 05:46 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times

Advertisements

Well for that income map, Alamo Heights, Castle Hills, Balcones Heights, Hollywood Park, Shavano Park, etc...none have their data listed, all of those areas are simply labeled 'Bexar Co. & Inc. Cities'.

Income itself is not the most accurate indicator of wealth either since someone who has inherited millions but does not have a job will appear as not having income. Likewise for business owners and others who might live off of company funds, so everything can be written off, and it appears a corporation owns their property. Then you have CEOs maybe who get payed more in stock options and other assets which all will not be counted as income I believe. I am not a tax expert so if my examples are flawed I would like them corrected.

I consider the Alamo Heights area more prestigious than any other area because the leaders of industry and commerce are concentrated there more than anywhere else. Also unlike other neighborhoods where if you have enough money you can just move in, in Alamo Heights many times if they do not approve of you socially they will not sale to you, simple as that, it is not about money for them. They also will not pay 9 million for a property if it is not worth it. Likewise if you want to work for the very rich you are better off working for new money, money is no object, they will pay good, more than is deserved, while old money will pay the going rate and not a penny more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 06:21 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
...I consider the Alamo Heights area more prestigious than any other area because the leaders of industry and commerce are concentrated there more than anywhere else. Also unlike other neighborhoods where if you have enough money you can just move in, in Alamo Heights many times if they do not approve of you socially they will not sale to you, simple as that, it is not about money for them...
So equal opportunity housing laws don't apply here. Gotcha!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:23 AM

Well they are private sellers and not a business. I guess that is how it remains an 'enclave'. One should not expect to win the lottery and just move in.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Well for that income map, Alamo Heights, Castle Hills, Balcones Heights, Hollywood Park, Shavano Park, etc...none have their data listed, all of those areas are simply labeled 'Bexar Co. & Inc. Cities'.

Income itself is not the most accurate indicator of wealth either since someone who has inherited millions but does not have a job will appear as not having income. Likewise for business owners and others who might live off of company funds, so everything can be written off, and it appears a corporation owns their property. Then you have CEOs maybe who get payed more in stock options and other assets which all will not be counted as income I believe. I am not a tax expert so if my examples are flawed I would like them corrected.

I consider the Alamo Heights area more prestigious than any other area because the leaders of industry and commerce are concentrated there more than anywhere else. Also unlike other neighborhoods where if you have enough money you can just move in, in Alamo Heights many times if they do not approve of you socially they will not sale to you, simple as that, it is not about money for them. They also will not pay 9 million for a property if it is not worth it. Likewise if you want to work for the very rich you are better off working for new money, money is no object, they will pay good, more than is deserved, while old money will pay the going rate and not a penny more.
Sorry, I should've linked to a thread that did have the income information.

Express News: "Gun Permits Tied to Wealth and Politics"

But if Alamo Heights is that exclusive, I wouldn't call it the nicest part of town because the people aren't that nice. I give more credit to those who earned their money anyway.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:15 AM

Because that map is broken down by zip codes it will contain different areas outside the enclaves. I guess that is what Austinn was trying to say earlier, that one could go in any direction from Stone Oak, east or west, and stay in areas that are very similar.

Not sure if it is nice or not, it is not a universal rule either because there is new money in Alamo Heights, but I think they consider it being nice to their neighbors by not just moving away and not caring who moves in. They live differently, old money, and someone who is flashy and stuff, like many new money can be, would just not make a good fit. They would also like someone who moves in to their house to also be friends with their old neighbors, not all closed off, but I am sure many areas there have people who also keep to themselves.

It is not like they are keeping out people on the basis of race. *shrugs* that is just the way it has always been

The other model is anyone gets to move in and white flight begins anew as they begin to move out. That is how we got the suburbs. But I guess the idea of just being able to move out and buy something bigger and better is new money thinking. Old money wants land they can keep.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:22 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Well they are private sellers and not a business. I guess that is how it remains an 'enclave'. One should not expect to win the lottery and just move in.
It doesn't matter - that's exactly the kind of thing that can get them in heaps of trouble. The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination based on familial status among many other things.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:23 AM

Here are the demographics for Alamo Heights only based on the 2000 census.

Alamo Heights Texas Demographics

Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 AM

Incomes are way down as expected for new money. Their wealth is not from a monthly paycheck or annual salary even if they do work.

I wonder how much property tax they have to pay on those homes? Lots more than one does in SA.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:29 AM

I wonder if any other area in Bexar County can beat Alamo Heights in homogeneity. 95.3% white with most of the Hispanics obviously choosing white as their race.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:33 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,512 times
Quote:
Also unlike other neighborhoods where if you have enough money you can just move in, in Alamo Heights many times if they do not approve of you socially they will not sale to you, simple as that, it is not about money for them. They also will not pay 9 million for a property if it is not worth it. Likewise if you want to work for the very rich you are better off working for new money, money is no object, they will pay good, more than is deserved, while old money will pay the going rate and not a penny more.
These are some of the most outrageous and unsupported claims I have read on this site in quite some time. That is saying a lot. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio