Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:42 AM

332 posts, read 529,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I meant documented proof, not slanderous
the word you are looking for is libel

slander is spoken, libel is written

pet peeve sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 AM

332 posts, read 529,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post

I got pulled over yesterday morning at 1 AM by a DPS Trooper in Houston,.
this is something i have been noticing more and more. WHY are DPS / constables pulling over people on the highway now? theyre not arresting them. ive witnessed a few constables giving people SPEEDING tickets. ffs isnt that SAPD's job???

Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
thats only the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. cops will use the dirtiest tactics to get you to confess/take a deal. all legal as well, just like how they are allowed to gun it on the highway to catch that pesky speeder going 10 over the limit...

all for your safety, citizen.
Spoken like someone who has absolutely no knowledge of the criminal justice system whatsoever!

And by the way, if you bothered to actually familiarize yourself with Texas law, you would know that the police are allowed to "gun it on the highway" to catch that "pesky speeder" going 10 over the limit (which I suspect was you...).

You might even learn that both DPS and constables are TCLEOSE certified and authorized to issue citations for speeding, but once again don't let the facts get in the way of your rants...

That is my pet peeve!

Last edited by majormadmax; 04-25-2012 at 08:10 AM..

Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,389 times
Quote:
this is something i have been noticing more and more. WHY are DPS / constables pulling over people on the highway now? theyre not arresting them. ive witnessed a few constables giving people SPEEDING tickets. ffs isnt that SAPD's job???
It is everyones job.

All Texas Peace Officers have the same license and are charged with enforcement of all laws. Sure, some may have a particular mission but in Texas (and many other States) a cop is a cop. It doesnt matter if you are the Chief of Police of Houston, a Game Warden, a Constable or a nobody patrolman in a 1 horse town.

The State of Texas set the minimum 618 hour syllabus for all Peace Officer Academies in the State and everyone take the same licensing exam and is issued the same license from the State.

Now that you know the technical issues, Constables giving people speeding tickets is fairly common. DPS giving people speeding tickets...seriously? That is WHAT they do. As for SAPD giving out speeding tickets, in general, they are often too busy to run much traffic.

Unless you are tasked to traffic, doing traffic is what a patrolman does when he has no calls for service. At many agencies there is often more calls for service than the Officers could possibly ever handle.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
thats only the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. cops will use the dirtiest tactics to get you to confess/take a deal. all legal as well, just like how they are allowed to gun it on the highway to catch that pesky speeder going 10 over the limit...

all for your safety, citizen.
The DA offers plea deals, not the Police.

As for the Police speeding, a Police Patrol (Texas Trasportation Code 545.365) in the State of Texas is exempt from the speed limit. That is not "above the law" that IS the law. The Police dont make the laws, the people you elect do.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
And when people have the chance to have an inordinate amount of influence on someone's time & money, their actions should be fair & should hold up under scrutiny.

I got pulled over yesterday morning at 1 AM by a DPS Trooper in Houston, Texas. Guess how fast I was going? 70 mph in a 65 mph zone. I was the only one on the road. He was bored and fishing for DUIs, but he wasted my time, which was completely unnecessary.

I was courteous & respectful and received a written warning. Guess it's not all about revenue generation, huh? Then again, this was my first experience with Texas DPS & my opinion of them is now even higher, not that it was ever really that low, as opposed to certain local PDs in this state.

However, pulling me over for 5 over at night where I'm the only car on the road just to fish for DUI is laughable in Houston, where people are regularly driving 10-20 in the daytime. Saying that what I did was dangerous and merited being pulled over in comparison to what happens in daylight would make me choke on my laughter.

As always, right or wrong, you invited it into your life. No matter how you feel about it, if you poke a snake you might get bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio