Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:55 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times

Advertisements

First, what we don't need anymore of are big-box, cardboard, cookie-cutter strip malls filled with the same crap (in different locations). Sure, it's enlarging San Antonio, but in a bad way, moving this city sideways and catering increasingly more to a level of consumer that this city need to stop courting. If we continue to act like a city with no money, we'll continue to be treated as a city with no money. San Antonio, no matter what you may think, is seen as the red headed step child of upper-crust Texas. We're 'quaint' and 'charming.' Nearly 2 million people is NOT quaint. It's a city who grew up too quickly and now acts like a puppy who hasn't quite grown into his paws yet. San Antonio stumbles a lot, mostly thanks to a city council and local political infrastructure who don't have a clue.

That being said, I'd like to see more businesses geared to a multi-cultural city, rather than just the Hispanic/Mexican-American slant. As someone already mentioned, a large Asian grocery store, a spot for truly great Italian meats, bread and pastas or even more places for imports from South America (so I can get my Guarana fix!).

A RELIABLE grocery delivery would be nice. I remember when living in LA, we had Pink Dot delivery and it was the cat's pajamas.

More funding for local museums and a few more added to the mix would make me smile. We are such a huge tourist area and museums always seem to thrive. A science & industry or natural history museum perhaps?

Furniture stores that don't exclusively cater to people who want to make low monthly payments.

Continued expansion of the existing shopping spots (Cantera, Rim, North Star).

In general, I think any positive expansion for San Antonio will have to come with an overall change in thinking. So many people live here because it's so easy to be 'poor' in this town and live decently. As we've all seen, many times a good concept or business will move into SA and be totally shut out based on it being 'too fancy.' That needs to change, as there are people in this city who not only have money, but are young and capable of customer loyalty for many years to come. I'm not saying we need to forget about the working class in San Antonio, but simply never forget that catering to a dying audience is the cardinal rule of what NOT to do in business.

I wrote this quickly, so if any of it comes off as offensive, please know that was not my intent. Just some stream of conscious thoughts

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 12:20 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,693 times
Well put BN. Couldn't agree more. It starts with your mindset and it’s time to stop the “Don’t Care” and “Manaña” attitude.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:16 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,048,207 times
Outstanding post, BN! Every word was true and I do agree we need a greater multicultural environment here!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:01 AM

36 posts, read 97,308 times
I'd like to see Yogurt shops, Trader Joes, Henry's and a couple more Whole Foods. More Carl's Jr.'s, also like BN mentioned, A large History Museum, Museum of Man, a Science Center would be nice. Also I know this thread is about Business or Services missing in SA, but I would like to see more playgrounds for children.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:26 AM

177 posts, read 358,050 times
BN, that post makes more sense than any I've read for a long time. I never could understand why a city this size can't support a Trader Joe's or Crate & Barrel. It's all about WalMart and HEB.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:49 PM

58 posts, read 127,130 times
wow. great ideas! "but" bottom line. if it will not make money it is not gonna happen. as a small business owner that employes 3 people plus myself i can say this "it is all about volume". product, customers, ETC. just because it sounds good or looks good, well it does not mean it will be "worth it" i mean lets face it, what we have here are some "good" ideas . just not profitable ones. if the were "profitable" we would have these types of businesses.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:03 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,591 times
Cat Cafes
Cat cafe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maid Cafes
Maid cafe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also
- A club that plays good electronic dance music
- Antique stores that aren't so overpriced
- European food store

Old 03-20-2011, 10:46 PM

14 posts, read 33,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latteluv View Post
I'd like to see Yogurt shops, Trader Joes, Henry's and a couple more Whole Foods. More Carl's Jr.'s, also like BN mentioned, A large History Museum, Museum of Man, a Science Center would be nice. Also I know this thread is about Business or Services missing in SA, but I would like to see more playgrounds for children.
sounds like you're California Dreamin

Old 03-20-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
First, what we don't need anymore of are big-box, cardboard, cookie-cutter strip malls filled with the same crap (in different locations). Sure, it's enlarging San Antonio, but in a bad way, moving this city sideways and catering increasingly more to a level of consumer that this city need to stop courting. If we continue to act like a city with no money, we'll continue to be treated as a city with no money. San Antonio, no matter what you may think, is seen as the red headed step child of upper-crust Texas. We're 'quaint' and 'charming.' Nearly 2 million people is NOT quaint. It's a city who grew up too quickly and now acts like a puppy who hasn't quite grown into his paws yet. San Antonio stumbles a lot, mostly thanks to a city council and local political infrastructure who don't have a clue.

That being said, I'd like to see more businesses geared to a multi-cultural city, rather than just the Hispanic/Mexican-American slant. As someone already mentioned, a large Asian grocery store, a spot for truly great Italian meats, bread and pastas or even more places for imports from South America (so I can get my Guarana fix!).

A RELIABLE grocery delivery would be nice. I remember when living in LA, we had Pink Dot delivery and it was the cat's pajamas.

More funding for local museums and a few more added to the mix would make me smile. We are such a huge tourist area and museums always seem to thrive. A science & industry or natural history museum perhaps?

Furniture stores that don't exclusively cater to people who want to make low monthly payments.

Continued expansion of the existing shopping spots (Cantera, Rim, North Star).

In general, I think any positive expansion for San Antonio will have to come with an overall change in thinking. So many people live here because it's so easy to be 'poor' in this town and live decently. As we've all seen, many times a good concept or business will move into SA and be totally shut out based on it being 'too fancy.' That needs to change, as there are people in this city who not only have money, but are young and capable of customer loyalty for many years to come. I'm not saying we need to forget about the working class in San Antonio, but simply never forget that catering to a dying audience is the cardinal rule of what NOT to do in business.

I wrote this quickly, so if any of it comes off as offensive, please know that was not my intent. Just some stream of conscious thoughts

BN
what a great post. you hit the nail right on the head, SA does not like change

Old 03-20-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
A small, specialized grocery store that carries an eclectic selection of food and wine, some of which would be considered gourmet, at discount prices. It's OK if it has a limited selection of produce.

A mega furniture and housewares retailer, specializing in light wood furniture with European styling at low prices. Oh, and ideally it should have very high charges for delivery.

A mega electronics, appliance and computer hardware/software retailer, offering a massive selection in every category it covers and especially deep discounts on computer components and commodity items. If all of the employees would wear white shirts and black pants, that would make it just about perfect.

I think that covers the board's 3 favorite retailers that aren't in San Antonio.
let me guess

Trader Joe's

Ikea

Fry's Electronics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio