Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 PM

188 posts, read 447,831 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a brand new home in the Culebra/1604 (Alamo Ranch) area with a home security system built in. I travel a lot and want to have the system activated. Does anyone have recommendations (ADT, etc)? I have heard that some require long-term contracts and I do not want to get locked into this in case I'm not satisfied with the service. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 10:22 PM
stc

43 posts, read 89,705 times
Most of them are going to require contracts of some sort. We have ADT and they're fine. The only experience we have is, when we first moved in, the house alarm accidentally went off, and they sent the police out.....two hours later. But most house alarms are accidents, and the cops know that, so they're in no hurry.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
We've used San Antonio Security for 7 years....no issues, and no big push for contract "renewal" like you get w/so many of the others. Had ADT at one time (at another house), and I got SO ticked at them that I ripped the stuff out and set it on the front porch. Swore I'd never have 'em again.
With the current folks, if the alarm triggers, my phone is ringing within a few minutes, and if I can't confirm all is well, the cops are on the way.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:50 PM

188 posts, read 447,831 times
Thanks for the info. What is a reasonable price for this?

Old 05-13-2011, 04:37 AM

584 posts, read 1,193,017 times
I currently have ADT. When we built our house we went with ADT which did a full house monitoring. After the contract was over I went with Central Alarm because I guy came around it was a lot cheaper. To my surprise two years into that contract my carbon monixide needed to be replaced and I found out that Central Alarm was not even monitoring that. I complained about this that when I changed providers I was not informed that I was losing my level of service that I was being provided. I filed a complaint with the BBB and filed a letter with the company. I stated I wanted out of my contract because I was not getting the service I was to get. This is then when I returned to ADT. Yes it costs a bit more but I have the security that my entire house is being monitored for everything. I have had ADT call me a few times because the garage door had come up because I did not close it all the way when I left the house. When we first moved in I had the cops there twice because my cats set off the motion detector alarm. So the service has worked great for me. The Alarm permit I think is $25 the first year and then after that is $15 for renewal which covers three false alarms a year. Hopefully you will not need to use the false alarm but the permit puts information on file in the event they need to come to your home.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:46 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/16151696-post2.html
My recommendation from last year is still good. They have also have two services you can sign up for. The $24.99 plan includes text messages when the alarm is turned on and off is a new feature that has been introduced after my original post.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Ours currently runs like $26/mo.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:11 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
Thanks for the info. What is a reasonable price for this?
We transferred our ADT contract from Westcreek to Kallison Ranch. They were able to use the system Lennar had installed with the exception of a new keypad. The gave us a monitored smoke alarm / detector. No charges at all. Our monthly rate is $26 and change with a three year contract. Although I don't work for USAA or Bank with them they gave us their discount.

Whoever you select make certain you get a Permit from Bexar County.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:18 AM

2 posts, read 5,677 times
Dear STC- I'm curious why you would state ADT is " ok" after the police don't show until 2 hrs later !!??!! Either you ignored the phone call from monitoring or you never got a call from their monitoring center, which is more likely, and to cover their ass, the monitoring center finally just dispatched the police. ADT's notorious for poor monitoring response due to ineffective combinations of interfacing different computer systems ! You should have followed up with ADT ten minutes later not 2 hours later, then you'd have known what was going on.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 PM

229 posts, read 473,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/16151696-post2.html
My recommendation from last year is still good. They have also have two services you can sign up for. The $24.99 plan includes text messages when the alarm is turned on and off is a new feature that has been introduced after my original post.

I second this recommendation. Been using them for about a year. It's a great deal and quality equipment. I have 13 door/window sensors, 2 motion detectors and an extra key pad and it cost me about $500. Monitoring starts at $15 a month. No contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio