Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you trust the San Antonio Police Department?
Yes, I trust the SAPD 42 38.89%
No, I do not trust the SAPD 66 61.11%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:30 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times

Advertisements

I would like to get an idea of how people feel about this topic. It has been debated in numerous threads, and there are several individuals who feel strongly on both sides.

So, a simple question...in general, do you trust the San Antonio Police Department?

Thanks for your input. How each person votes will be kept anonymous.

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 10:14 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,713,297 times
I do not blindly-trust S.A.P.D. 100%, no.....I figured that I should at least give the respect of being honest about it.......

Old 05-15-2011, 10:47 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
I've not had any direct dealings with them. I've observed incidents and did not like the attitude that was displayed by the police. I'm not sure I could count on them to be nuetral and fact finding in a situation. They seem to make up thier mind on good and bad immediatly,

Old 05-15-2011, 11:06 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Trust? No. I want a police officer who shows up at my house, and refrains from saying "well, we're only making a report, we'll never find out who stole your XXXXXX". I'm a realist, but seriously, is it not the job of the police to at least TRY to figure out who stole my crap, messed up my stuff, or whatever?

I've lived here over 25 years now, and I've never been "pulled over" by a San Antonio cop, so I can't speak to their professionalism as they're writing a ticket. I was guilty (along with several who some 25 years ago cut across the access road divider when the traffic on 410 was backed up during one of the many construction projects).....yep, I deserved the ticket and learned my lesson about waiting my turn....still got to work about as late as I was going to be anyway, it just cost me a little more. During that "stop" which was actually an assembly-line type of operation with one cop identifying who crossed over and the other one a few hundred feet waving us over (I assume there was a 3rd cop ahead who would actually chase anyone who chose not to pull over when waved over)....either way, he was nice enough, I guess.

I see cops texting, on their cell phones, driving horribly every single day. I have a real issue with this. They should be setting the example, in my simple little world, but they don't.

Would I want their job? Nope. I know they deal with the worst of the worst. But, they had to have known that before voluntarily signing up for the job. It's not like they're forced into it.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:13 AM

418 posts, read 784,657 times
No direct dealings with the SAPD.

Been here driving around for a year... never been ticketed. My insurance guy says that is unusual. though, I count on one hand the number of tickets after 40 years of driving.

I trust and respect them... until something happens to change that.

Blocking another vehicle that is not the subject of their attention shows a lack of respect for others.

Coming within an inch of my rear bumper when they pull in at a light behind me isn't a good thing either.

Do I still trust and respect them... sure.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:23 AM

409 posts, read 1,034,452 times
Neutral on this one. They do come to the house when I call then chastise me cause I shoulda or coulda done this or that to avoid the incident I call them for. When they tailgate you on purpose (yes they do) to make you speed up so they can stop you for speeding makes me not trust them aytall....

Old 05-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
It's clear from the media that there are bad apples in the SAPD, but the same is true in most large organizations with hundreds of employees. Chief McManus seems to be weeding out some of these. I'd like to think that most members of the force are well-intentioned and in the job for the right reasons. No organization is perfect, so I don't hold SAPD to that standard.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:06 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
I've had many dealings with the SAPD to address civil issues. I've never had a problem. When I asked one officer if he could help quell my child's concerns about the police being 'bad people,' the officer allowed my child to look into the front and back seat and was very gentle. He spoke with him at his level and in a very nice manner.

I've called them many times for the apartments where I currently reside and they've been incredibly helpful. To be honest, in other towns where I've lived as a younger person, I've had problems with officers - 17 stops. And actually as I think of it, in one town, to avoid giving out a ticket, an officer provided concierge service, and drove my wife's car out of a tight parking spot. I actually like SAPD and I have tried to maintain my membership in their 100 Club.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:58 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
I think that overall SAPD has shown more professionalism than smaller towns surrounding San Antonio.

Bexar county deputies is another story however.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:09 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,048,207 times
Why am I not surprised that less people trust the SAPD?

QA: Because so many people in this city are shady and they know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio