Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,759 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I'm looking for information as to why stained glass windows with the star of David are in the Bonham Exchange? My husband and I just came back from San Antonio where we attended the National Education Computer Conference. When we saw the Stars of David in the windows, we were curious if the building had once been a Jewish Synagogue. We were fortunate in that the manager invited us into the building and gave us a wonderful tour of the building. She showed us a paper on the history of the building which mentioned how it had been a German sports complex. Is it possible that the original owners were Jewish? My husband and I are always interested in discovering landmark buildings that had once been synagogues. When the manager mentioned that there were stained glass windows in the basement of the building our interest was really piqued.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 09:54 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
I bet there is a tremendously well-written book about San Antonio's rich history and marvelous culture that someone could recommend! I haven't read any, but I'm sure someone has, and they'll be willing to help you out. Good luck!!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:29 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,000,189 times
This place is well interesting!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:42 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,587 times
I agree. It's VERY well interesting!

Old 07-11-2008, 02:01 PM

79 posts, read 318,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCA View Post
Hi!
I'm looking for information as to why stained glass windows with the star of David are in the Bonham Exchange? My husband and I just came back from San Antonio where we attended the National Education Computer Conference. When we saw the Stars of David in the windows, we were curious if the building had once been a Jewish Synagogue. We were fortunate in that the manager invited us into the building and gave us a wonderful tour of the building. She showed us a paper on the history of the building which mentioned how it had been a German sports complex. Is it possible that the original owners were Jewish? My husband and I are always interested in discovering landmark buildings that had once been synagogues. When the manager mentioned that there were stained glass windows in the basement of the building our interest was really piqued.

Thank you!
I do know that the building was never a Synagogue. The buiding was originally constructed as a Turnverein Hall, a German athletic club, later became a USO and subsequently the GLTB nightclub it is today. As a social club it was never identified as being specifically "Jewish." That being said the hexagram or "Star of David" has many uses other than being a symbol of the Jewish faith, which was not widely used as such until the 19th Centruy. The six pointed star has been used as a symbol in other religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam aswell as Christianity. The best explination in this instance might be the use of the symbol in alchemy. They symbol is also called a 'Bierstern' (beer star) or 'Brauerstern' (brewer's star). The hexagram was used as a symbol for the tapping of beer and sign of the brewer's guild in Southern Gemany.

MBB: Life Behind Bars (http://www.brewingmuseum.org/article10.htm - broken link)

Old 07-11-2008, 02:40 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,210 times
Wow, all very interesting and the star makes sense as a beer star if it was a social club. Are there any staind glass "rainbow" windows there now? Hehe

Old 07-12-2008, 03:10 AM

100 posts, read 289,176 times
well i am straight and i like the Bonham Exchange gays or no gays lol .. its awesome in my books .....

Old 07-12-2008, 04:13 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Can't Germans be Jewish also? Maybe the Germans were predominetly Jewish who put the windows there as part of thier heritage and or culture.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:56 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,196,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Can't Germans be Jewish also? Maybe the Germans were predominetly Jewish who put the windows there as part of thier heritage and or culture.
Many German Jews did immigrate to Texas during the 1800s.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:41 PM

222 posts, read 706,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda starz View Post
well i am straight and i like the Bonham Exchange gays or no gays lol .. its awesome in my books .....
WORD!

(as in, I agree)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio