Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 04:38 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

My personal favorite is the Barnes and Noble and 410/San Pedro. There's also a large Half Price (used books) walking distance, across the same parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 04:44 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
I'm not sure if the books are used or not, but there is a bookstore that I have been meaning to go to for years--just never have time to venture over that way it seems--but it's called Remember the Alibi Mystery Bookstore on West Ave. at Lockhill-Selma. There is a Starbucks right nearby and the shopping center is very nice--lots of trees and in a nice area. One of these days............

Old 08-05-2007, 06:08 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
That's the place to go if you like mysteries. But I think that's all they sell. Or, at least the vast majority is mystery.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:18 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,572 times
Sapphire, thank you. I actually laughed out loud. That was cute. I have been to that Unilimited Thoughts store, actually. I remember meeting a couple of really nice guys here in town in a coffee house, and I was lamenting that there was no new age bookstore here. Well, they told me about "Unlimited Thoughts," and I got really excited. I thought wow, maybe SA's not that backward if they at least have a new age bookstore, right? Well, the place is completely gross (selection, decor, all of it. I didn't dare pick up the crystals there, just a scary vibe). But what was most disturbing is that those two new-agey guys that I had met just thought it was soooo cool and artsy. God, I wonder what those two would do with the fabulousness of the Bodhi Tree Bookstore in L.A. I felt the same way going to Unlimited Thoughts that I felt going to First Friday the first time (and only time, thank you very much), expecting a bustling art fair rather than a few second-hand dime store earrings displayed on card tables. I took one Californian friend to First Friday and she just wandered through it with me, silent, depressed FOR me. It wasn't until we got back in the car that she spoke, saying "Where the $*%& did you move?" I shouldn't say any more because the owners of Unlimited Thoughts might cast a nasty spell on me or something

Last edited by hello13685; 08-05-2007 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: error

Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 AM

4 posts, read 23,085 times
I can walk to the row of stores on Broadway and so vote for that block as the best place to spend an afternoon if you want to buy books.

If you would be content with borrowing, the Central Library is a great facility. The online catalog system allows you to peruse the city's holdings from home and order books from anywhere in the nation.

In the SA public library system the one with the most character is hands down the Landa. It is over by Trinity and was at one time a very luxe private home with gorgeous grounds. It is well worth the time to explore.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:05 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Sapphire, thank you. I actually laughed out loud. That was cute. I have been to that Unilimited Thoughts store, actually. I remember meeting a couple of really nice guys here in town in a coffee house, and I was lamenting that there was no new age bookstore here. Well, they told me about "Unlimited Thoughts," and I got really excited. I thought wow, maybe SA's not that backward if they at least have a new age bookstore, right? Well, the place is completely gross (selection, decor, all of it. I didn't dare pick up the crystals there, just a scary vibe). But what was most disturbing is that those two new-agey guys that I had met just thought it was soooo cool and artsy. God, I wonder what those two would do with the fabulousness of the Bodhi Tree Bookstore in L.A. I felt the same way going to Unlimited Thoughts that I felt going to First Friday the first time (and only time, thank you very much), expecting a bustling art fair rather than a few second-hand dime store earrings displayed on card tables. I took one Californian friend to First Friday and she just wandered through it with me, silent, depressed FOR me. It wasn't until we got back in the car that she spoke, saying "Where the $*%& did you move?" I shouldn't say any more because the owners of Unlimited Thoughts might cast a nasty spell on me or something
I've never set foot in that place. But I should have known it wouldn't be up to California standards! Have you tried monster.com?

Old 08-06-2007, 07:51 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
Thank you for all the replies. I want to get to know the bookstores in SA. Which one has the best ambiance for a bookstore? Thanks.

Hmmm....ambiance? For a history buff? Cheevers! and the Antiquarian.....they aren't comfy cozy with little places to sit and read, but they are jam packed to the ceiling with oodles of great one of a kind finds. Ask for the local/regional section. You might even find a Ted Fahrenbach signed original edition!

For research....there are TONS of little tucked away places that I like to go. If you're interested in that....PM me and I'll give you my personal list!

I agree with the library....but the downtown branch by far has the best selection for historical stuff. The Texana department is on the top floor. There are public stacks that you can check out, but you HAVE to go in the historical area and look at what they have for research! If there is a person or place you are interested in, ask one of the librarians if they have a file on them. They have cut out newpaper articles and research papers etc in folders in the vault behind the desk! There are maps and other rare books in there too! Ask if they have a "vault" index! Thats where the good stuff is. Be sure to have lots of dimes for copies!!!!! (they don't make change and the only change machine is on the ground floor!) Also....a high res digital camera would work too.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:21 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,572 times
Don't need Monster.com. Academe has it's own posting sites. Until I do leave, I'm going to try to like SA if it kills me. I'm going to check out some of these bookstores and the Landa library too!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:27 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
what are the better book stores in SA?

any good sci-fi ones?

:O)

Old 01-16-2008, 09:51 AM

260 posts, read 1,136,197 times
There's a neat used book store on the NW side of 410 between the callaghan and evers exits called Nine Lives. The profits go to help rescue / rehabilitate / adopt cats. The bookstore has a handful of cats wandering the stacks at any given visit. They've got a very large selection, and have a couple specialty sections like comic books, laserdiscs, and even a small new-age section. There's usually a celtic folk group performing there on Sunday afternoons... all in all a very unique non-chain used book store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio